home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - Southeast

01-26-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
catalleres
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Track days in Florida

Looking for advice from those who track their g80. Really I just want to drive mine fast without going to jail, in a safe environment and with an instructor initially, to learn track rules and best practices.

For those going to track day events, I'm wondering which track and with which group do you go? What are the gotchas that you look out for when selecting a track day event?

I was able to find PDG - Performance Driving Group https://performancedrivinggroup.com/events/. They have several events in Homestead and Sebring. Has anyone attended their events before?

Last edited by catalleres; 01-26-2023 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 10:05 PM   #2
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Keep us posted. I’d like to know what you find out. With the Palm Beach track now gone I have no idea where track days are going to be. I’m sure Daytona is waaayyyyyy to expensive to rent out for the infield track. And COTA and Atlanta re too far away.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

There are 4 HPDE organizations currently operating in Florida. Google them.

Performance Driving Group
Hooked on Driving
Chin Track Days
National Auto Sport Association (NASA)

Since the demise of PBIR last year the tracks regularly used by all of the groups are Homestead, and Sebring. Once or twice a year they will do Daytona. You do not schedule a track day with the track. You must join a group and then schedule an event with that group. The membership fees are yearly, and reasonable, some where around $75 or $80 I think.

They all operate in the same format. 3 driving groups that are on track separately. Beginner; Intermediate; Advanced. As a newcomer you will be assigned to the Beginner group and paired with an instructor. You will continue with the instructor until he feels that you are ready to drive solo. You will still be in the Beginner group however. With increased experience, ability, and seat time you will reach a point where you want to move up to the Intermediate group. This involves a request for a check ride with an instructor. If you pass.. congratulations. If not, you will be told where you are lacking, and what to work on. The instructors are all great, and will ride along with you for additional work if you request it. When you're ready, another check ride, and you're movin' on up. The process is the same for advancing from the Intermediate to the Advanced group.

During the course of the day everyone gets 6 or 7 sessions on track lasting between 20 and 30 minutes each. On occasion they will throw in an extra Open Session at the end of the day where everyone who wants to regardless of their group goes out at the same time. These can sometimes last for an hour or more.

I drive with all four of these groups. Greater schedule choices, and max seat time.

Try it, you'll like it.

Last edited by Boomer 2019; 01-27-2023 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 4
BMWGirlFL6293.50
bmw noob1442.50
ItsConnor232.00
      01-28-2023, 09:58 PM   #4
catalleres
Enlisted Member
Rep

Really appreciate the information Boomer 2019, very helpful! I'll look into these groups and their schedules. If you had to pick between Homestead and Sebring for a first track day, which would you go with?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 12:01 PM   #5
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

For the first time on a track I think you might absorb more info at Homestead. My reasoning is this: Driving on a track bears no resemblance to the way you have driven all your life. Not that it is particularly difficult, just different. There is a lot to learn, and the more comfortable you are the easier you will learn. Homestead is a more basic track. Shorter (2.2 miles), smooth, and with no really intimidating corners. The speeds are also lower than Sebring. Sebring can be intimidating to those who have not driven it before, even people with some level of experience. It is much longer (3.7 miles), faster, rough as a cobb (transitions between asphalt and 80 year old concrete), and with some serious corners. It's just a much more demanding track than Homestead.

Another recommendation: Before you go to any track for the first time go onto You Tube and enter "name of track - videos". You will find lots of in car videos posted by drivers that will allow you to get familiar with the layout before you go. Watch lots of them. It really helps.
      01-31-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
FrenchyfromFL
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, G80 M3X

Check out The Firm in Starke, FL.... been there a couple of times, it's definitely a small fun track and very affordable... even to rent, if you can manage to gather a small group of cars.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 10:25 AM   #7
catalleres
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchyfromFL View Post
Check out The Firm in Starke, FL.... been there a couple of times, it's definitely a small fun track and very affordable... even to rent, if you can manage to gather a small group of cars.
Thanks for sharing. The driving school appears very useful for someone looking to learn the basics as well. And their pricing is quite low. Only downside is that it's a bit far from South FL, for me it would be a 5-6 hour drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 10:41 AM   #8
FrenchyfromFL
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, G80 M3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalleres View Post
Thanks for sharing. The driving school appears very useful for someone looking to learn the basics as well. And their pricing is quite low. Only downside is that it's a bit far from South FL, for me it would be a 5-6 hour drive.
its a good 3h30 hours drive for me. Every time we went, we were maybe 5 or 6 cars and just rented the track for the day to ourselves, stayed the night in Gainesville. Made t it a great drive up there too, going on back roads. That's what it is all about, enjoying our cars!

if you are interested, we have a small group and have done a few events/rallies like that

https://www.instagram.com/cfl.driving/
Appreciate 1