BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Driving Assitance Pro (vs Plus)?

01-08-2023, 12:05 AM   #1
gpbayarea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback

While we wait for a production slot, my dealer let us know they have an available x1 that has all our desired options except for active driving assistance pro.

I’ve read that active driving assistance plus can be added to the x1 via the connected store (I’m in the US), as long as you have the premium package. Does anyone know if that’s true?

If it’s true, what is the difference between pro and plus? What would I be missing out on if I had plus but not the pro package (5AU)?

It’s unclear to me if the hardware required for driving assistance pro is included in the premium package and it’s simply software that can be enabled via subscription post build.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 12:15 AM   #2
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbayarea View Post
While we wait for a production slot, my dealer let us know they have an available x1 that has all our desired options expect for active driving assistance pro.

I’ve read that active driving assistance plus can be added to the x1 via the connected store (I’m in the US), as long as you have the premium package. Does anyone know if that’s true?

If it’s true, what is the difference between pro and plus? What would I be missing out on if I don’t have the pro package (5AU)?

It’s unclear to me if the hardware required for driving assistance pro is included in the premium package and it’s simply software that can be enabled via subscription post build.

the steering wheel buttons(the two top indicator lights are missing, above the SET and +/- buttons)) are missing on X1 vehicles that were not ordered with Pro... so I don't think it's possible to purchase it later. It must be ordered at time of vehicle production.

having said that, I told my CA last week to remove Driving Assistance Pro from my order. It was pointless since I rarely use adaptive cruise control in my area, due to other stupid/inconsiderate/rude drivers everywhere.(who speed up if they see you try to pass them.. but slow down if they see you giving up and moving back in to the right lane behind them) I used the $1700 towards adding M Sport package and Active Seats with lumbar support for my order(both of which I will use a lot more)
Attached Images

Last edited by bluecrabby; 01-08-2023 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2023, 03:39 AM   #3
Stealth658
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT, 2023 X1

As of right now, there isn't an option to add any driving assistance package on my X1 premium package ConnectedDrive store
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 09:59 AM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Dang I really regret not getting the Premium Pkg....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #5
gpbayarea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all for your insight. This is the most comprehensive explanation I’ve found.

It is still unclear if the Plus options will be able to be added via connected drive store at some point in the US.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FZI89418.50
      01-08-2023, 11:35 AM   #6
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Plus adds active cruise control, pro is active driving assistance ("self-driving")
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 01:25 PM   #7
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all for your insight. This is the most comprehensive explanation I’ve found.

It is still unclear if the Plus options will be able to be added via connected drive store at some point in the US.
the pro's automatic lane change doesn't seem to be fully automatic... you have to initiate it on the turn signal stalk and then the car will move to the left lane, if it detects no cars in the left lane

for example, if you have cruise control set at 75mph and the car in front of you is doing 70mph, it will slow down to 70mp... but it will not automatically move left to pass the 70mph car like how Tesla's cruise control does it.(which will automatically move left to pass the slower moving car and the get back into the right lane... then resume the original 75mph cruse speed)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 02:31 PM   #8
Bam-Bam
Private
Rep
Drives: Ix1 xdrive30

Quote:

Are you sure about “add”?

Take care, Driving assistant Plus (5AT) is complete different than Driving assistant (5AS). You have to order both.

For Driving assistant professional (5AU) is different, 5AS is included.

At least in Europe it is like this.

Regards,
Marcel
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 03:07 PM   #9
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Driving Assistant Plus Pack Preparation which is within the Technology Plus Pack, if you want it when you collect the vehicle, you will just have to purchase it from the BMW Shop, firstly you can get a 3 month trial free of charge, then you can purchase 1 months for £35, 1 year for £350, 3 years at £550 or unlimited for £750! This also give you assisted driving and adaptive cruise control too.
This is what my BMW genius told me (UK). I wonder adaptive cruise control comes under pro pack right!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 06:04 PM   #10
2023x1maybe
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Hi GP,

I’m also located in the US and in a similar situation (waiting for build, dealer offered car in transit without driving assistance pro). I went super deep on this, here’s my findings:
-active driving assistant plus CANNOT be activated later for x1 cars without the DAPPro. The equipment is not there. People have frequently misread the new subscription info as allowing this, but the only car that upgrade applies to is the iX, and this is according to BMW itself. Could this change later? Maybe, but no indication it will. Support. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-s-not-all-bad
-this^^is also supported if you dig into SKUs for other cars.
-for DAPplus to be an OTA offer, the car has to be DAPplus ready, which the X1 (with premium) does not include. Could this be somehow hidden? Maybe, but doubtful.
-It is possible the the DAPPro (if equipped/purchased) will receive additional functionality, or be eligible for paid additional functionality such as highway driving assistant. Those features are also rolling out to the iX (supposedly) in coming months and the X1 DAPPro might have the ability to also get that upgrade because it is not LIDAR dependent. Who knows on this, but seems possible.
-it is also possible, but more unlikely, that the X1 with DAPPro could receive further enhancement such as level 3, which is planned for upcoming bmw models. This may require LIDAR and is less likely.
-unclear, but future feature functionality for DAPPro might require idrive 9 and beyond (likely future updates to iDrive will relate to self driving in some part). It is not clear to me based on production/order availability date whether it was/is possible to have bought an X1 that has DAPPro and that doesn’t have idrive 9. But something to consider.

Based on the above we decided to make sure our car has DAPPro and idrive 9.

Hope that helps. If anyone has different info, I’d love to hear or see it.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 02:07 AM   #11
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023x1maybe View Post
Hi GP,

I’m also located in the US and in a similar situation (waiting for build, dealer offered car in transit without driving assistance pro). I went super deep on this, here’s my findings:
-active driving assistant plus CANNOT be activated later for x1 cars without the DAPPro. The equipment is not there. People have frequently misread the new subscription info as allowing this, but the only car that upgrade applies to is the iX, and this is according to BMW itself. Could this change later? Maybe, but no indication it will. Support. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-s-not-all-bad
-for DAPplus to be an OTA offer, the car has to be DAPplus ready, which the X1 (with premium) does not include. Could this be somehow hidden? Maybe, but doubtful.
-It is possible the the DAPPro (if equipped/purchased) will receive additional functionality, or be eligible for paid additional functionality such as highway driving assistant. Those features are also rolling out to the iX (supposedly) in coming months and the X1 DAPPro might have the ability to also get that upgrade because it is not LIDAR dependent. Who knows on this, but seems possible.
-it is also possible, but more unlikely, that the X1 with DAPPro could receive further enhancement such as level 3, which is planned for upcoming bmw models. This may require LIDAR and is less likely.
-unclear, but future feature functionality for DAPPro might require idrive 9 and beyond (likely future updates to iDrive will relate to self driving in some part). It is not clear to me based on production/order availability date whether it was/is possible to have bought an X1 that has DAPPro and that doesn’t have idrive 9. But something to consider.

Based on the above we decided to make sure our car has DAPPro and idrive 9.

Hope that helps. If anyone has different info, I’d love to hear or see it.
There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the subscriptions, and rightfully so. I'm reasonably sure that the equipment necessary for heated seats is in most of the US bound X1's, so I would think a subscription would be offered, especially since it doesn't require hard keys on the dash anymore. I could've sworn I saw a video with the option in the Connected Drive store, but not sure if it was US market or not. But the article you linked doesn't list it in the table.....curious. I'm wondering if there are things they still may add to the Connected Drive store once things move to iDrive 8.5 and 9?
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #12
gpbayarea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023x1maybe View Post
Hi GP,

-unclear, but future feature functionality for DAPPro might require idrive 9 and beyond (likely future [...]
This is super comprehensive - I appreciate the detail. Will continue to sit tight and wait for my custom build with DAPPro.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 04:43 PM   #13
sixtyy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Make sure your car has

"
9QV 5AT Preparation for FOD N/C
"

And you will have 5AT from connected store.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #14
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyy View Post
Make sure your car has

"
"

And you will have 5AT from connected store.
just looked up the X1 I ordered, it shows:

1CR Remote Engine Start $300
455 Active Front Seats incl. Lumbar Support $450
5AS Active Driving Assistant N/C
925 Shipping Preparation for FOD N/C
ZN1 Active Blind Spot Detection N/C
ZN3 Frontal Collision Warning w/ City Collision Mitigation N/C
ZN4 Lane Departure Warning N/C
ZTM Tier 2 N/C

What exactly will I get if I choose to subscribe to 5AT later?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 03:03 AM   #15
sixtyy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
just looked up the X1 I ordered, it shows:

1CR Remote Engine Start $300
455 Active Front Seats incl. Lumbar Support $450
5AS Active Driving Assistant N/C
925 Shipping Preparation for FOD N/C
ZN1 Active Blind Spot Detection N/C
ZN3 Frontal Collision Warning w/ City Collision Mitigation N/C
ZN4 Lane Departure Warning N/C
ZTM Tier 2 N/C

What exactly will I get if I choose to subscribe to 5AT later?

Thanks!
5AT is purchaseable from my BMW connected store. I saw:
$0 3 month trial
$20 a month
$950 unlimited

I think you are fine to be able to purchase it later. But confirm with your SA. If they have any X1 in stock, you can try to see if it shows up in connected service store.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:39 AM   #16
2023x1maybe
Rep
Drives: 5 series

I was wrong then about it not being available for purchase. Thanks for the heads-up!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 07:26 PM   #17
gpbayarea
Enlisted Member
Rep

According to this thread…on a US version with convenience package only, there are the light indicators on the steering wheel + ability to add driving assistance plus via the connected store.

Can anyone else who recently took delivery of their x1 confirm?

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29755488
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 02:05 AM   #18
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I have X1 with premium and no light indicators on the steering wheel and all I can add is remote start.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2023, 06:36 AM   #19
lurkmorethanpost
United_States
Rep

I picked up my X1 with Premium last week. I have the lights on the steering wheel and can get Driver Assistance Plus. They give a 3 month trial for free. I like the adaptive cruise control, so I'll probably pay the $950.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 11:18 AM   #20
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

So based on the info provided on BMW website (images attached) I see this:

Active Driving Assistant Pro ($1700 when ordering new vehicle)
1. Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function adjusts the speed of the vehicle automatically, if necessary, to a standstill, to maintain a safe distance to the vehicle ahead.
2. Features like Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant,
3. Lane Change Assistant,
4. Emergency Stop Assistant, and
5. Evasion Aid assist the driver during critical driving situations, such as a health emergency or the sudden presence of vehicles or pedestrians in front of the car.

Driving Assistant Plus ($950 subscription add-on post purchase)
1. maintain desired speed, lane, and (so maintains lane or Lane Keep Asst)
2. distance to the vehicle ahead,
3. brake in an emergency,
4. warn you about speed limits,
5. and more. Some features of this package may vary by model.
MISSING?
1. Stop&go (so ACC only above certain speeds?)
2. Lane change
3. Evasive aid (however pedestrian is included in all X1 I think)

Can anyone who added this post purchase confirm if this is accurate
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 09:56 PM   #21
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Picking up my x1 msport with premium package, don't remember if there were lights on the steering wheel for cruise control, but the list of options has 5AS and 9QV, sales rep said he's not sure what the 9QV stands for and still insists there isn't adaptive cruise control on this vehicle (but I don't think he knows what he's talking about). I even sent him the attached photo of a similarly stocked x1 that shows "dynamic cruise control" under Instrumentation and Controls for the "stock features".

Don't know who's right or what options which cars get, I'll update once I pick my car up on Saturday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 04:58 AM   #22
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Dynamic Cruise control I think is just normal cruise control but it breaks if the speed increases to stop you speeding. Could be wrong but I think it's just BMW making something normal ish sounds more than it is.

Can't won't have lights that's for the full Professional hands off adaptive cruise / steering capability I believe.
Appreciate 0