BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Lane departure warning confusion

01-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #1
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Lane departure warning confusion

I am not sure if the lane departure warning on our X1 is broken, my understanding is wrong or the Owner's Manual is wrong.

On our first trip on the motorway last weekend the lane departure warning and collision detection icons lit up yellow in the instrument display and lane departure warning vibration and steering intervention was clearly not working. The yellow icons went away after 20 minutes or so but have briefly appeared a couple of times since then.

It does seem to work now, kinda, at speeds over 40mph on roads with clear lane markings but seems to struggle a bit on roads where the white lane markings are less obvious. On the same roads our F40 118i seemed to detect lane departure better and the steering wheel vibration and steering intervention seemed stronger. I currently have Lane Departure Warning Time set to "Expanded" and Vibration Intensity set to Strong/High.

What is concerning me mainly at the moment is that the lane departure warning icon does not stay steady green at speeds over 40mph on roads with clear lane markings; it just flashes green when the steering wheel vibrates and/or steering intervention is occurring. The Owners' Manual says:

"The icon lights up green: the system is turned on. A lane marking has been detected on at least one side of the vehicle. The system is ready to intervene and issue warnings. The system can perform steering interventions.

The icon flashes green: the system actively issues a warning. If necessary, the system performs a steering intervention.

The icon lights up yellow: functional limitation detected, e.g. due to low sun or system failure. It is possible to continue driving. Where applicable, observe the information from Check Control messages.

The icon flashes yellow: a warning is issued actively. The system does not carry out any steering interventions."

There are no check control messages and the windscreen camera seems to be working for traffic sign detection and high beam assist.

Is the manual wrong? Do any of you have the lane departure icon lit up steady green to indicate that the system is working and ready to intervene?

Last edited by ronime; 01-06-2023 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 04:50 AM   #2
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

FWIW, we have a U06 2 Active Tourer as a loan car at the moment and the Lane Departure Icon does not light up steady green, despite the Owner's Guide inferring that it should.