BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) TPMS question

01-03-2023, 10:59 PM   #1
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

TPMS question

Hi,

We plan on buying 3rd party rims and winter tires for our X1. The site we are planning to buy from suggests these TPMS sensors. Do BMW vehicles require original BMW TPMS sensors or would these work?

The tires and rims would come pre-mounted with the TPMS sensors already installed (if we buy the sensors).

Otherwise, I would need to buy the sensors from BMW and have them remove the tires off the rims and install the sensors. The BMW sensors are double the price of these ones.

We are hoping our local mechanic and mount the tires for us and get the SUV to recognize them which I assume (yes, I know... "ASSume" shouldn't be too difficult.

For those who haven't seen my other thread a while back. The reason for not getting the 19" BMW winter wheels+tires is because they are insanely expensive locally.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the wall of text cut/paste:

Uni-sensor is the ultimate TPMS universal solution that contains 315MHZ sensor, 433MHZ sensor & Sensor AID the programming / diagnostic device. ITM’s TPMS sensor offers a great deal of superior engineering & quality without compromise

- Most advanced German designed sensor/transmit chipset available in the market.

- Built to perform like O.E sensor, in terms of signal interval, durability & functionality.

- Automotive battery grade to meet most severe weather conditions.

- Precision crafted air valve to prevent air pressure leakage.

- Anodized stem valve for corrosion resistance.

0-30 degree adjustable stem valve to fit all types of wheels.
Fast & simple assembly onto any aluminium & steel wheels.
2 year or 24,000 miles limited warranty.
SAE J2657 compliant and readable by other diagnostic tools.
Battery Life: 5+ years
Storage Temperature:-40C to +125C
Operating Temperature: -40C to +125C
Operating Humidity: 90%
Operating Frequency: 315 MHZ & 433.92MHZ
Pressure Monitoring Range: 0 to 130 psi (900kpa)
Pressure Reading Accuracy: ±1psi (±7kpa) at normal pressure range, 0 to 50 units
Temperature Reading Accuracy: ±4 at -20 to 70 units
G sensor Reading Accuracy: ±18.75% at -40C to 90C
Transmission Power: typical 8 dBm (both 315MHZ & 433MHZ)
Battery: 3.0V
Sensor Weight: 35g (1.23oz)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 02:26 AM   #2
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags2Rags View Post
Hi,

We plan on buying 3rd party rims and winter tires for our X1. The site we are planning to buy from suggests these TPMS sensors. Do BMW vehicles require original BMW TPMS sensors or would these work?

The tires and rims would come pre-mounted with the TPMS sensors already installed (if we buy the sensors).

Otherwise, I would need to buy the sensors from BMW and have them remove the tires off the rims and install the sensors. The BMW sensors are double the price of these ones.

We are hoping our local mechanic and mount the tires for us and get the SUV to recognize them which I assume (yes, I know... "ASSume" shouldn't be too difficult.

For those who haven't seen my other thread a while back. The reason for not getting the 19" BMW winter wheels+tires is because they are insanely expensive locally.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the wall of text cut/paste:

Uni-sensor is the ultimate TPMS universal solution that contains 315MHZ sensor, 433MHZ sensor & Sensor AID the programming / diagnostic device. ITM’s TPMS sensor offers a great deal of superior engineering & quality without compromise

- Most advanced German designed sensor/transmit chipset available in the market.

- Built to perform like O.E sensor, in terms of signal interval, durability & functionality.

- Automotive battery grade to meet most severe weather conditions.

- Precision crafted air valve to prevent air pressure leakage.

- Anodized stem valve for corrosion resistance.

0-30 degree adjustable stem valve to fit all types of wheels.
Fast & simple assembly onto any aluminium & steel wheels.
2 year or 24,000 miles limited warranty.
SAE J2657 compliant and readable by other diagnostic tools.
Battery Life: 5+ years
Storage Temperature:-40C to +125C
Operating Temperature: -40C to +125C
Operating Humidity: 90%
Operating Frequency: 315 MHZ & 433.92MHZ
Pressure Monitoring Range: 0 to 130 psi (900kpa)
Pressure Reading Accuracy: ±1psi (±7kpa) at normal pressure range, 0 to 50 units
Temperature Reading Accuracy: ±4 at -20 to 70 units
G sensor Reading Accuracy: ±18.75% at -40C to 90C
Transmission Power: typical 8 dBm (both 315MHZ & 433MHZ)
Battery: 3.0V
Sensor Weight: 35g (1.23oz)
BMW's in previous models didn't require OEM sensors, but they do require BMW compatibility and frequency. If you could get the part number for the TPMS sensors on the X1 you could probably dig up the specs and see if they match to the aftermarket sensors. But even then, the cars are so new there isn't much aftermarket support, so you'd still be taking a chance.

That being said, I had used "highly rated" TPMS sensors in my e90 on my aftermarket wheels, and they didn't perform nearly as well as the OEM ones. Battery life wasn't as good and I kept getting TPMS errors because the sensors connection would drop out oddly in one specific place on the freeway.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Just make sure they're 433Mhz, not 315 and you'll be fine. Also, make sure the place where you're getting the wheels/tires guarantees the sensors have been updated to work with X tire size you're installing. You'll know if it's working when the TPMS sensors report the psi settings per tire in idrive...if not, tire dealer needs address. If you're in the gta, try tires23 in Mississauga or Markham. They'll sort you out.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #4
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

Thanks for the reply guys. I think I'll get the OEM ones directly from my dealer to avoid any issues. Not worth the headache over the long term for the price difference in the short term.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #5
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags2Rags View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. I think I'll get the OEM ones directly from my dealer to avoid any issues. Not worth the headache over the long term for the price difference in the short term.
Did you ever get the part number for these?
Appreciate 0