BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Alcantara Seats?

01-03-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
Negtvions
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

Alcantara Seats?

I’m in the market for an X1.

The Alcantara seats look great but I’m curious of your owners experience.

Are they comfortable?
Too grippy?
Stain easily?

Any info is much appreciated!
      01-03-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negtvions View Post

Are they comfortable?
Too grippy?
Stain easily?

I don't have these seats, but note that this is pretty new. You may want to check out the Volvo forums because the XC40 has similar seats in the R-Design option package offered up to 2022, and certain option packages in 2023 - at least as to the staining question.
Appreciate 1
Negtvions211.00
      01-03-2023, 10:10 AM   #3
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Early days yet but they seem comfortable enough. If you have a "large frame" then try before you buy as they do not have adjustable side bolsters.

Our 2 previous BMWs had Dakota leather sports seats with manual adjustment, the only electric adjustment being for the side bolsters.

In our X1 we have Alcantara with electric adjustment and active lumbar support, so hard to make a direct comparison.
      01-03-2023, 10:15 AM   #4
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime View Post
In our X1 we have Alcantara with electric adjustment and active lumbar support, so hard to make a direct comparison.
How are the active seats treating you? Do you use the massaging lumbar often? Would you get tired of it on a long drive?
Appreciate 1
Negtvions211.00
      01-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #5
ronime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromans1 View Post
How are the active seats treating you? Do you use the massaging lumbar often? Would you get tired of it on a long drive?
We have only had the X1 for a few days and have only been on one long journey that warranted use of the massage function. It stops 30 minutes after being activated, has 4 different massage programs, 3 intensity levels and 2 speeds. After 20 minutes on the lowest intensity my lumbar region felt sufficiently refreshed for me to turn it off.

I have had surgery on my spine for a ruptured lumbar disc and after 2 hours behind the wheel I got out of the car with no apparent discomfort.

My opinion at the moment is that these Alcantara sports seats with electric adjustment are pretty good.
      01-03-2023, 02:28 PM   #6
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
We have only had the X1 for a few days and have only been on one long journey that warranted use of the massage function. It stops 30 minutes after being activated, has 4 different massage programs, 3 intensity levels and 2 speeds. After 20 minutes on the lowest intensity my lumbar region felt sufficiently refreshed for me to turn it off.

I have had surgery on my spine for a ruptured lumbar disc and after 2 hours behind the wheel I got out of the car with no apparent discomfort.

My opinion at the moment is that these Alcantara sports seats with electric adjustment are pretty good.
In the UK, do they have a separate Massage Seat option? In the US, I was told that the Active Seats with lumbar support option is not massage seats. The Active Seats here only move the seat bottom to relieve pressure on the butt/thigh area....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #7
ronime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
In the UK, do they have a separate Massage Seat option? In the US, I was told that the Active Seats with lumbar support option is not massage seats. The Active Seats here only move the seat bottom to relieve pressure on the butt/thigh area....
In the UK active lumbar support is part of the Comfort Pack (a 1,050 GBP option) which also includes electric adjustment for the front seats, with memory, and steering wheel heating.
      01-03-2023, 06:50 PM   #8
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the UK active lumbar support is part of the Comfort Pack (a 1,050 GBP option) which also includes electric adjustment for the front seats, with memory, and steering wheel heating.
does it say the Active Seats have massaging function? I was reading other threads about Active Seats and M4 owners said they were not the same thing....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 08:45 PM   #9
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
does it say the Active Seats have massaging function? I was reading other threads about Active Seats and M4 owners said they were not the same thing....
The Weekly Autos

TOGGLE NAVIGATION
Which BMW Models Have Massage Seats?
Published by weeklyautos on December 4, 2022
Massage seats have always been a popular feature in luxury vehicles, and we’ve seen them in cars like the BMW 7 Series for generations. BMW has expanded the massage seat option to more of its range, and right now, massage seats are available on almost 20 models.

Across the BMW range, some models feature massage seats as standard, and some include them as optional extras at a cost. With BMW’s range of packages, you will often find the massage seat option included in either the Executive pack or the Luxury Seating pack.

BMW massage seats
In this article, we’ll go through which BMW models have massage seats as an option and how much they cost.

Table of Contents
What are BMW massage seats?
How to access massage seats on your BMW
Which BMW models have massage seats as standard?
Which BMW models have massage seats as an optional extra?
How much does the massage seat feature cost?
Which BMW models have no massage seats?
Which other BMW options should you look at?
What are BMW massage seats?
BMW massage seats allow you to activate several different massage settings for the driver or front passenger. Depending on your BMW model, the massage controls feature options such as ‘upper body activation’ and ‘back massage’ to target different areas. You can also select the massage intensity level.

How to access massage seats on your BMW
On the latest BMW iDrive system, you can access the massage seat settings on your infotainment screen. By clicking the seat control button (usually located on your door), this opens the seat comfort screen on your iDrive system.

From there, you can select the different massage programs and set the intensity level.

Which BMW models have massage seats as standard?
In the current BMW lineup, the below models have massage seats as standard:

In the current BMW Iineup, these models have massage seats as an optional extra:

BMW X7 40i
BMW X7 M60i
BMW X6 40i
BMW X6 M50i
BMW X6M
BMW X5 40i
BMW X5 45e
BMW X5 M50i
BMW X5M
BMW 740i
BMW 760i
BMW i7
BMW 530i
BMW 540i
BMW 530e
BMW M550i
BMW M5
BMW iX 50
BMW iX M60
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 06:45 AM   #10
SeekTheFinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negtvions View Post

Are they comfortable?
Too grippy?
Stain easily?

We have the Alcantara seats and find them to be comfortable. They are the sports seats, as we do have an MSport trim X1. I think you can also order a base (non X-line or MSport) car and get non-sport Alcantara seats. My daughter says they are super soft. We chose them since they would be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than the full Sensatec seats. Also this was something we liked in the R-Design XC40 that we considered, so were pleased to have the option in the X1.

Name:  IMG_7036.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  254.3 KB
Appreciate 1
Negtvions211.00
      01-04-2023, 07:03 AM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekTheFinest View Post
I think you can also order a base (non X-line or MSport) car and get non-sport Alcantara seats.
Alcantara seats are M-Sport only, so they are Sport Seats only.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:19 AM   #12
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
We have the Alcantara seats and find them to be comfortable. They are the sports seats, as we do have an MSport trim X1. I think you can also order a base (non X-line or MSport) car and get non-sport Alcantara seats. My daughter says they are super soft. We chose them since they would be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than the full Sensatec seats. Also this was something we liked in the R-Design XC40 that we considered, so were pleased to have the option in the X1.

Attachment 3070418
Man, these alcantara seats look good! I was so tempted to order them, but with having a drooly dog who also sheds a ton, plus the necessity of having to eat on the road occasionally, I wasn't brave enough.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
Negtvions211.00
      01-04-2023, 07:20 AM   #13
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Also, I find it hilarious that the M Sport X1 comes with aluminum pedals and yet my M Sport 430i only had the black rubber ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #14
SeekTheFinest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Alcantara seats are M-Sport only, so they are Sport Seats only.
Originally the build sheets were released with an option to get the Alcantara seats without the blue stitching, but it was only if you ordered a base model with no X-Line or MSport designation. Don't know if that is still possible from the factory. Haven't heard of anyone ordering an X1 without X-Line or MSport.

Last edited by SeekTheFinest; 01-04-2023 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #15
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally the build sheets were released with an option to get the Alcantara seats without the blue stitching, but it was only if you ordered a base model with no X-Line or MSport designation. Don't know if that is still possible from the factory. Haven't heard of anyone ordering an X1 without X1 or MSport.
I see what you are talking about on the spec sheet, but I think you are reading it wrong...it is definitely confusing.

KG designates "Alcantara/Sensatec" (no color designated), and then underneath that, there is one choice: KGNL, which is Black Alcantara/Sensatec with blue contrast stitching, which requires ordering ZMP.

KH designates "Perforated Sensatec" (no color designated), and then underneath that, there are the color choices: KHCX (oyster), KHKP (red/black), KHMY (mocha) and KHSW (black), with the note that KHKP and KHMY require 481 (sport seats).

So there's not a basic black alcantara choice - it's just you can either get alcantara or perforated Sensatec; and after you make that choice, then you choose color...but there's only one alcantara color to choose.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:24 AM   #16
ronime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
In the UK the option is sold as "Active Seat, Driver". This gives you lumbar adjustment with "active" massage function on the driver's seat only.

It is only sold in the UK as part of the Comfort Pack which also gives you electrically adjustable front seats with memory function and a heated steering wheel.

Confusingly, on our factory build specification the Comfort Pack is listed as "Package ZF2" and the Heated Steering Wheel is listed separately as "Option 248".

I think that seats must be one of the components with supply chain issues. The printed owner's manual says that the memory setting buttons for the seats are on the upper part of the door card, near the speaker/tweeter, but on our car and on the Premier Pro demonstrator that we drove the memory buttons are on the edge of the driver's seat base. Weirdly, the Premier Pro demonstrator that we drove only had electric adjustment for the driver's seat (and no lumbar support at that) and the passenger seat had manual adjustment only.
      01-06-2023, 03:17 PM   #17
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the UK the option is sold as "Active Seat, Driver". This gives you lumbar adjustment with "active" massage function on the driver's seat only.

It is only sold in the UK as part of the Comfort Pack which also gives you electrically adjustable front seats with memory function and a heated steering wheel.

Confusingly, on our factory build specification the Comfort Pack is listed as "Package ZF2" and the Heated Steering Wheel is listed separately as "Option 248".

I think that seats must be one of the components with supply chain issues. The printed owner's manual says that the memory setting buttons for the seats are on the upper part of the door card, near the speaker/tweeter, but on our car and on the Premier Pro demonstrator that we drove the memory buttons are on the edge of the driver's seat base. Weirdly, the Premier Pro demonstrator that we drove only had electric adjustment for the driver's seat (and no lumbar support at that) and the passenger seat had manual adjustment only.
I have checked with the BMW dealer here in the US. On my X1 order, the "Active Seats with Lumbar Support" is definitely not "massaging" seats. The "active" part merely moves around in the lower seat cushion to relax the thighs/buttocks area. Interestingly, this option applies to both front seats.

On the other hand, I probably should put that idea behind me. A couple of years ago, I somehow fell in love with a US$5,700 massage chair, so I ordered it from Costco. Used it for about 2 months and it just sort of sat there. I probably use it only once every few months now. However, my cat enjoys the $5,7000 massage chair like his own royal throne chair every single day.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      01-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #18
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Man, these alcantara seats look good! I was so tempted to order them, but with having a drooly dog who also sheds a ton, plus the necessity of having to eat on the road occasionally, I wasn't brave enough.
so.... I went ahead and talked to the salesman yesterday. Changed the order to M Sport with Alcantara seats.... I just love the way it looks and feels.(although having never seen it in person)

By the way, I'm confused... aren't you in Hawaii? How far can you possibly have to drive to necessitate "eat on the road occasionally"???

Two weeks ago, I drove from New York to Chicago. Due to traffic, the one-way took me almost 15 hours. I stopped for gas a couple of times. To save time, I ate Taco Bell and Panda Express WHILE DRIVING. (yes, I know, I know.... but I did it when traffic was light and the only thing I dropped was a piece of orange chicken on the floormat)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:31 PM   #19
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
so.... I went ahead and talked to the salesman yesterday. Changed the order to M Sport with Alcantara seats.... I just love the way it looks and feels.(although having never seen it in person)

By the way, I'm confused... aren't you in Hawaii? How far can you possibly have to drive to necessitate "eat on the road occasionally"???

Two weeks ago, I drove from New York to Chicago. Due to traffic, the one-way took me almost 15 hours. I stopped for gas a couple of times. To save time, I ate Taco Bell and Panda Express WHILE DRIVING. (yes, I know, I know.... but I did it when traffic was light and the only thing I dropped was a piece of orange chicken on the floormat)
I don’t work in an office and being self employed I work long hours and often don’t get breaks, so the only time I have to eat is in the car until I go home
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #20
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I don’t work in an office and being self employed I work long hours and often don’t get breaks, so the only time I have to eat is in the car until I go home
but you're still doing this in Hawaii, right? not the stupid snowy roads and subzero temps that I have over here

I have this type of steering wheel tray and that's how I eat Taco Bell while driving with cruise control on... (on interstates that are straight with almost no cars for almost 2 hours)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 05:45 PM   #21
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
but you're still doing this in Hawaii, right? not the stupid snowy roads and subzero temps that I have over here

I have this type of steering wheel tray and that's how I eat Taco Bell while driving with cruise control on... (on interstates that are straight with almost no cars for almost 2 hours)
Funny enough, just a few weeks ago we marble sized hail for a few hours. Hawaii also isn’t necessarily the greatest to live in, unless you’re rich. Milk costs about $8 per gallon, premium gas is about $5.50 right now, Amazon Prime takes a week, and the poverty level for a single individual is $80,000 annual income. Born and raised here, I’ve seen most things go up in price by at least triple in the past 20 years. Not to mention the Jones Act kind of screws is with shipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 08:03 PM   #22
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
I have checked with the BMW dealer here in the US. On my X1 order, the "Active Seats with Lumbar Support" is definitely not "massaging" seats. The "active" part merely moves around in the lower seat cushion to relax the thighs/buttocks area. Interestingly, this option applies to both front seats.

On the other hand, I probably should put that idea behind me. A couple of years ago, I somehow fell in love with a US$5,700 massage chair, so I ordered it from Costco. Used it for about 2 months and it just sort of sat there. I probably use it only once every few months now. However, my cat enjoys the $5,7000 massage chair like his own royal throne chair every single day.
Costco might take the message chair back if there are no stains.

I had a mattress at my in laws home for a couple of years we rarely used. Like new and Costco gave us a refund to purchase a different mattress.
Appreciate 0