BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) X1 Frozen Gray Experience?

01-03-2023, 08:30 AM   #1
Negtvions
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

X1 Frozen Gray Experience?

Anyone have the X1 in Frozen Gray?

What’s the maintenance experience like? Does it dirty easily and required tender cleaning procedures?

Sharing pics of this great color would be much appreciated!!
      01-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #2
RichAppz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negtvions View Post
Anyone have the X1 in Frozen Gray?

What’s the maintenance experience like? Does it dirty easily and required tender cleaning procedures?

Sharing pics of this great color would be much appreciated!!
There is a post here with an image https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29684508

I was torn with the frozen gray, I chose storm grey in the end. My cons pushed me away, like a glossy mirrored look, hard to keep clean, bird poop will damage Matt worse than gloss.

Gloss you will get damage but you can repair easier.
Appreciate 1
Negtvions211.00
      01-04-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
Negtvions
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

Thanks Rich.

What’s Storm Gray like?
Seems to have a blue tint to it from the BMW configuration.

Any pics?
      01-04-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negtvions View Post
Thanks Rich.

What’s Storm Gray like?
Seems to have a blue tint to it from the BMW configuration.

Any pics?
Someone has a thread:

https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1973192

You cannot use the Build Your Own to judge Storm Bay - the digital renderings absolutely do not do this color justice.
Appreciate 1
Negtvions211.00
      01-05-2023, 09:14 PM   #5
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Someone has a thread:

https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1973192

You cannot use the Build Your Own to judge Storm Bay - the digital renderings absolutely do not do this color justice.
having finally seen Frozen Pure Grey in person on a very sunny but cold day, I'm now thinking of making changes to my orders. (currently both orders are for Space Silver Metallic) I'm also also somewhat leaning towards the black color.

based on what I've read, there are people who say that black cars may actually take more work than Frozen Pure Grey... so now I dont' know....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:58 AM   #6
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
having finally seen Frozen Pure Grey in person on a very sunny but cold day, I'm now thinking of making changes to my orders. (currently both orders are for Space Silver Metallic) I'm also also somewhat leaning towards the black color.

based on what I've read, there are people who say that black cars may actually take more work than Frozen Pure Grey... so now I dont' know....
I love the way the Frozen paint finishes look, but know myself well enough to know it would be a bad idea for me. Any scratch, bird poop etchings, etc., can't be buffed out and requires a respray.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 05:27 AM   #7
RichAppz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

Quote:
Someone has a thread:

https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973192

This colour is amazing, still waiting for mine, it changes so much depending on the light you are in.

Can’t wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 06:49 AM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Black Sapphire is great...for the day that it's been washed. Within 1 day, it picks up dust, etc. The spring pollen is the worst...

Last edited by tex2670; 01-06-2023 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 07:39 AM   #9
bcdx93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X1

Too bad, I ordered Black Sapphire + Black SensaTec.
Quote:
Black Sapphire is great...for the day that it's been washed. Within 1 day, it picks up dust, etc. The spring pollen is the worst...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 08:15 AM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdx93 View Post
Too bad, I ordered Black Sapphire + Black SensaTec.
don't fret. I always thought I would never want a black car, but ended up with BSM on my 328. I love it; it just gives me an excuse to wash the car more often.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #11
sillything
Rep
Drives: X1

It gets easily dirty. Far away the dust and dirt doesn't look that bad but when you get near the car you see all of it. Not that bad when it gets to bird etching (although I have PPF). Kinda hard to judge now during the winter but I think it's ok if you have the determination to take extra care of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:32 PM   #12
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillything View Post
It gets easily dirty. Far away the dust and dirt doesn't look that bad but when you get near the car you see all of it. Not that bad when it gets to bird etching (although I have PPF). Kinda hard to judge now during the winter but I think it's ok if you have the determination to take extra care of the car.
do you have PPF all over the car? or just the hood(bonnet), front bumpers and fenders? how does it handle the extreme hot or cold temperatures?

I'm thinking about getting PPF, but I've never had it on any of my cars before.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:40 PM   #13
sillything
Rep

Quote:
do you have PPF all over the car? or just the hood(bonnet), front bumpers and fenders? how does it handle the extreme hot or cold temperatures?

I'm thinking about getting PPF, but I've never had it on any of my cars before.

Thanks!
I've PPF'ed the whole car except for the top and back. Don't know about the hot. But it held up pretty well with the cold. Had problems with the doors get frozen shut but it's not the paints fault 😅
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:25 PM   #14
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillything View Post
I've PPF'ed the whole car except for the top and back. Don't know about the hot. But it held up pretty well with the cold. Had problems with the doors get frozen shut but it's not the paints fault 😅
wow! the whole car? may I ask how much it cost you? what brand of PPF was used?

any pics that you can share?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:42 PM   #15
sillything
Rep

Quote:
wow! the whole car? may I ask how much it cost you? what brand of PPF was used?

any pics that you can share?

Thanks!
It was around 3500usd, xpel stealth ppf.
I haven't taken any pics. Waiting for better weather, I live in a Nordic country 😅
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:11 AM   #16
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

checked out of the Hilton Garden Inn in Lawton a couple of hours ago.

a beautiful X1 in Frozen Grey paint with California plates was parked two cars from me(on the side near the pool).

in case the owner reads this forum... your X1 was gorgeous. It was still dark out but the X1 looked so nice and I couldn't help myself... sorry for running my hands up and down all over the hood and the doors... I just wanted to feel what the Frozen Grey matte paint was like. I was the guy in brown leather jacket in the white Chrysler Pacifica.

Edit: forgot to mention this... the X1 was filthy and covered with mud, dust and possibly even road salt. I guess that the owner couldn't actually go to one of those automatically car washes?

Last edited by bluecrabby; 01-22-2023 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #17
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

I demand you come back and clean your hand marks off with a fine comb tooth brush sir.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 10:01 AM   #18
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

a beautiful X1 in Frozen Grey paint with California plates was parked two cars from me(on the side near the pool).

in case the owner reads this forum... your X1 was gorgeous. It was still dark out but the X1 looked so nice and I couldn't help myself... sorry for running my hands up and down all over the hood and the doors... I just wanted to feel what the Frozen Grey matte paint was like. I was the guy in brown leather jacket in the white Chrysler Pacifica.
So we should all scrub meta data from pix before we post them, but you post your actual location?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #19
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So we should all scrub meta data from pix before we post them, but you post your actual location?
if someone wanted to steal the rental Chrysler Pacifica minivan that I was driving, I would have no problem with that. the only thing valuable on my person was my phone and laptop.(both still protected by loss & theft plans) I haven't carried cash or coins on me or in my cars for over 10 years.

had it been a Tesla instead of a BMW X1, I would not have even tried to touch or feel it. I didn't know until quite recently that Tesla always recorded everything going on around the car. my co-worker's new Tesla Model Y was keyed at a Giant Food parking lot and the police managed to catch the woman after viewing the video from the car. I have no respect for criminals who commit crimes(yes, including keying cars) while wearing a shirt with her company logo.
Appreciate 1
tex26702414.00
      01-25-2023, 04:42 AM   #20
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:

Edit: forgot to mention this... the X1 was filthy and covered with mud, dust and possibly even road salt. I guess that the owner couldn't actually go to one of those automatically car washes?
Not sure I'd have confessed to this. You've just run your hands all over a paint finish that is easy to scratch and impossible to fix that was covered in mud and grit. Ooops!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 05:41 AM   #21
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Not sure I'd have confessed to this. You've just run your hands all over a paint finish that is easy to scratch and impossible to fix that was covered in mud and grit. Ooops!
well, I'm already 1500 miles away.

I was very gentle when I caressed the frozen paint on that X1. (not like the time that I was somewhat rough when running my fingers across the Z4 with frozen paint at my BMW dealer)

one thing that I didn't really understand was why the frozen paint(on both the X1 and the Z4) somehow felt more slippery than regular clear coat finish?

In any case, I do keep this list on me at all times... so if the frozen pure grey X1 owner comes after me, well, good luck. Maldives sounds pretty nice, yes?

LIST:

These countries currently have no extradition treaty with the United States:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, Mainland China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.

Last edited by bluecrabby; 01-25-2023 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #22
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This color is not on the Build Your Own page anymore....
Appreciate 1
STE92VE217.50