BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Trunk door height when opened

01-02-2023, 02:40 AM   #1
nicozzz
Rep
Drives: F31

Trunk door height when opened

Hi, I have a placed an order for an X1 225e here in France, estimated delivery April 2023. Really looking forward to get it

While waiting, does any of you have, or know where to find or can maybe measure the maximum height of the trunk door when opened, on the exterior side?

I have a garage with low ceiling (215 cm), even lower when the garage door is opened, and it would be nice to know in advance if I have to prepare some soft material attached to the ceiling to avoid that the trunk door will touch it.

I also saw that, in previous models, it was possible to adjust the maximum height from the iDrive. Is it still the case in this model?
Do you know if it records such setting per GPS position? Let's say that I would love to have the trunk to open to a specific height when I am in the garage, but to the maximum possible in any other situation (supermarket, outside, etc...).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 06:26 AM   #2
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicozzz View Post
Hi, I have a placed an order for an X1 225e here in France, estimated delivery April 2023. Really looking forward to get it

While waiting, does any of you have, or know where to find or can maybe measure the maximum height of the trunk door when opened, on the exterior side?

I have a garage with low ceiling (215 cm), even lower when the garage door is opened, and it would be nice to know in advance if I have to prepare some soft material attached to the ceiling to avoid that the trunk door will touch it.

I also saw that, in previous models, it was possible to adjust the maximum height from the iDrive. Is it still the case in this model?
Do you know if it records such setting per GPS position? Let's say that I would love to have the trunk to open to a specific height when I am in the garage, but to the maximum possible in any other situation (supermarket, outside, etc...).

Thanks!
You can set the height of the hatch through iDrive, however this is a global setting and not something that can be configured for specific locations.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
donnus20.50
      01-03-2023, 04:37 AM   #3
dejy
Private
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2023 X1 U11  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Firstly congrats on your new car! I too purchased one recently but will be getting it in May 2023 as it had a 6-7 month wait in my country.

It is the same for the X1, you can adjust the opening height via the options in: Menu > Vehicle apps > Doors and windows > tailgate > opening height - set to desired height.

Unfortunately does not record setting based off GPS position.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 09:05 AM   #4
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:

Thanks!
Did you eventually measure the height?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 11:28 AM   #5
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesone View Post
I assume that the OP already took delivery...

but if you still need the heights, here they are. (all measurements approximate, until I get a metric one)

Opening height settings:

5 = 75"
4 = 74"
3 = 72"
2 = 69"
1 = 39" (yes, I know... not sure what 39" is good for? I don't own a dog, but I suppose it's just enough for a dog to get into the trunk area? )
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
timesone184.50
      10-21-2023, 07:47 AM   #6
LindrelT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 '02, 1988 325is, 2020 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
1 = 39" (yes, I know... not sure what 39" is good for? I don't own a dog, but I suppose it's just enough for a dog to get into the trunk area? )
If using roof racks and carrying something long it would prevent door from hitting it. But you could still reach though the slight hatch opening to get something I guess?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindrelT View Post
If using roof racks and carrying something long it would prevent door from hitting it. But you could still reach though the slight hatch opening to get something I guess?
makes sense. I'll have to try it when I put my full-size Thule cargo carrier on top.

as for getting stuff from the trunk with the tailgate opening that small, let's just say I haven't been that tiny since I was 12 years old(already a 170-pound and 5-foot-11 freak, as my grandparents called me)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 02:25 PM   #8
nicozzz
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesone View Post
When I received the car, I used indeed the setting in the menu for the tailgate opening height.
I set it to level 4, and from the outside of the tailgate, basically where you have the small electric motor of the windscreen wiper, the height is 200 cm -> 78''.
Appreciate 1
timesone184.50
      11-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #9
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
When I received the car, I used indeed the setting in the menu for the tailgate opening height.
I set it to level 4, and from the outside of the tailgate, basically where you have the small electric motor of the windscreen wiper, the height is 200 cm -> 78''.
Thanks! My garage is 86”
Appreciate 0