BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Ambient Lighting with Bimmercode

12-31-2022, 06:10 AM   #1
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BSM M5C w/ 813m's

Ambient Lighting with Bimmercode

This is so silly but I'd rather be silly and safe that sorry.

I see it's possible to change the ambient lighting with colors that aren't even available as selectable options through BMW.

Is anyone going to say anything or will anything be voided if I go ahead and were to get a supported OBD2 for the F90 LCI/Bimmercode and go ahead and change things like the ambient lighting, maybe turn off the active sound module and set the daytime running tail lights to always be on?

I know you're messing with ECU and "changing code" and all that but it seems like such small stuff like really? Would still rather be safe.

Last edited by GriggsyG22; 12-31-2022 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Shortening the post and being more direct with my question.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriggsyG22 View Post
This is so silly but I'd rather be silly and safe that sorry.

I see it's possible to change the ambient lighting with colors that aren't even available as selectable options through BMW.

Is anyone going to say anything or will anything be voided if I go ahead and were to get a supported OBD2 for the F90 LCI/Bimmercode and go ahead and change things like the ambient lighting, maybe turn off the active sound module and set the daytime running tail lights to always be on?

I know you're messing with ECU and "changing code" and all that but it seems like such small stuff like really? Would still rather be safe.

I don't think this is silly.

I don't have the exact answer to your question, but I believe a dealership's view would be that you are "changing" something from stock, albeit something so minor. I had to take a drive in the car with my dealerships's M master tech to replicate an issue I was having about a month a half ago. He drove while I sat shotgun. First thing he noted and commented on was my red ambient lighting, lack of startup warning, and lack of seatbelt reminder.

If I was being ultra cautious, I would revert these settings to normal when I take out my RaceChip in preparation for going to the dealership for any service work and then recode after my appointment, but that is really annoying.

I think that as with many things, if they wanted to use this an an excuse to deny you warranty coverage (even for something unrelated), they would find a way. I'm certainly taking the RaceChip out before I go in, but I personally have never uncoded the types of changes you mention.