BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Cape York: Pics & Impressions

12-29-2022, 01:24 PM   #1
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Cape York: Pics & Impressions

Less than 24hrs later thoughts….

What is awesome:

- Digital Key. Digital Key. Digital Key. That my Apple Watch is my key, and I don’t need anything else in my pocket is 50% of why I bought the car. Back when we were agonizing over whether this was going to be included, I seriously would have bailed on the car had it been missing.

- Full screen CarPlay! My previous MINI Countryman could only do part of the screen. The experience is so much better on this display.

- HUD: Love that it’s right on the windshield (vs. a slide up panel in old MINI). Love that turn by turn from directions from a CarPlay trip can show up in the HUD and the instrument display,

- The top-down view when backing up to park. While backup cameras are great, knowing when the FRONT of your car is inside the garage is a godsend to me, particularly after having previous cars tapped by the garage door as it was closing because I hadn’t pulled back far enough.

- no BS from my dealer. Reading forums here about lojack, coatings, PDI, and other crap that some dealers make mandatory, none of that was experienced

- I love the look and feel of the aluminum “mesh effect” trim

- Lots of space in the rear hatch for this size vehicle

- Lots of tech to keep one amused for a long while

What could be better:

- It would be nice to be able to do more configuration using the app vs. iDrive. Setting up more of the car while sitting on the sofa while reading the owners manual would be great

- As Fumus mentioned, “Hey BMW” (which I setup as “Hey car”) is laggy and didn’t demo well to the spouse.

- It didn’t automatically figure out what time zone I’m in. The manual mentions automatic time zone setting in some markets but didn’t see that setting yet.

- somewhat convoluted QR code process to access & download interior camera photos. Haven’t seen how to auto sync them to phone or view them in BMW App.

Other observations:

- While digital key is awesome, and its cool that the car automatically “wakes up” when you are in proximity of it, the downside is that just walking by my garage without any intention of going for a drive triggers it. Also, having multiple digital keys (phone & watch), each one needs to be setup with your profile. Which digital key it uses seemed random.

- Haven’t setup the garage door opener and won’t bother with it. The combination of CarPlay and a HomeKit garage door opener is so much better: the button for your garage automatically appears when you are in proximity of your home and gives you an indicator of the door open/closed status.

- Still wrapping my head around not having to put the car into Park before shutting it off. And remembering that one “P” button is the parking brake and the other “P” button is parking assistance, and that neither of them are just “Park”.

- while its not proper driving form, the gear shift knob was a comfortable place to rest your right hand. Can’t do that in this car

- It’s big (relatively speaking)!. In my neighborhood is an X2 and two previous generations of X1s. They just look much smaller than this X1.

- Seats are fine to me but have only been in them for 3 short drives.

- I had the parking assistant do the steering into my garage, which is cool, but still figuring this out as the 2nd time I tried this I hadn’t quite straightened out, so it decided to turn the car to park on the street parallel to the curb.
Attached Images

Last edited by Speedbird71; 12-29-2022 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Amazing color and great backdrop!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

Beautiful! Cape York Green seems to be one of those chameleon colors that subtly changes shade in various lighting conditions. The red interior absolutely pops!
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Nice colour combo...same as my wife's!
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #5
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Nice colour combo...same asy wife's!
Yes. You beat me on the delivery of this combo!
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-29-2022, 07:53 PM   #6
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Congrats, that's the color combo I wanted most.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:12 PM   #7
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

no front license plate or holder in California?

I may be in the minority here, but I love how the base 18" wheel with its wheel cap/surround. I've been a very careful since 1989, but sometimes curb rash is just unavoidable, especially when parallel parking in New York City and DC.

when you use iPhone, Apple Watch, or the digital key card, is it associated with the driver's seat memory?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
pawlie
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d

Speedbird...would you mind sharing your dealer?

I'm shopping for an X1 and would appreciate the name of a good dealer w/o the shenanigans.

(I'm in the SF Bay area).

Thanks much - enjoy the new ride!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 11:39 AM   #9
gpbayarea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlie View Post

I'm shopping for an X1 and would appreciate the name of a good dealer w/o the shenanigans.

@[pawlie] I have been happy with BMW Weatherford in Berkeley.
Appreciate 2
pawlie36.00
spidy512494.50
      12-30-2022, 12:18 PM   #10
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlie View Post

Steve Thomas in Camarillo. Zero shenanigans. Between MINI & BMW, my 4th car purchased from them.
Appreciate 1
pawlie36.00
      12-30-2022, 06:10 PM   #11
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird71 View Post

What is awesome:

- Digital Key. Digital Key. Digital Key. That my Apple Watch is my key, and I don’t need anything else in my pocket is 50% of why I bought the car. Back when we were agonizing over whether this was going to be included, I seriously would have bailed on the car had it been missing.

- Full screen CarPlay! My previous MINI Countryman could only do part of the screen. The experience is so much better on this display.

- HUD: Love that it’s right on the windshield (vs. a slide up panel in old MINI). Love that turn by turn from directions from a CarPlay trip can show up in the HUD and the instrument display,

- The top-down view when backing up to park. While backup cameras are great, knowing when the FRONT of your car is inside the garage is a godsend to me, particularly after having previous cars tapped by the garage door as it was closing because I hadn’t pulled back far enough.

- no BS from my dealer. Reading forums here about lojack, coatings, PDI, and other crap that some dealers make mandatory, none of that was experienced

- I love the look and feel of the aluminum “mesh effect” trim

- Lots of space in the rear hatch for this size vehicle

- Lots of tech to keep one amused for a long while

What could be better:

- It would be nice to be able to do more configuration using the app vs. iDrive. Setting up more of the car while sitting on the sofa while reading the owners manual would be great

- As Fumus mentioned, “Hey BMW” (which I setup as “Hey car”) is laggy and didn’t demo well to the spouse.

- It didn’t automatically figure out what time zone I’m in. The manual mentions automatic time zone setting in some markets but didn’t see that setting yet.

- somewhat convoluted QR code process to access & download interior camera photos. Haven’t seen how to auto sync them to phone or view them in BMW App.

Other observations:

- While digital key is awesome, and its cool that the car automatically “wakes up” when you are in proximity of it, the downside is that just walking by my garage without any intention of going for a drive triggers it. Also, having multiple digital keys (phone & watch), each one needs to be setup with your profile. Which digital key it uses seemed random.

- Haven’t setup the garage door opener and won’t bother with it. The combination of CarPlay and a HomeKit garage door opener is so much better: the button for your garage automatically appears when you are in proximity of your home and gives you an indicator of the door open/closed status.

- Still wrapping my head around not having to put the car into Park before shutting it off. And remembering that one “P” button is the parking brake and the other “P” button is parking assistance, and that neither of them are just “Park”.

- while its not proper driving form, the gear shift knob was a comfortable place to rest your right hand. Can’t do that in this car

- It’s big (relatively speaking)!. In my neighborhood is an X2 and two previous generations of X1s. They just look much smaller than this X1.

- Seats are fine to me but have only been in them for 3 short drives.

- I had the parking assistant do the steering into my garage, which is cool, but still figuring this out as the 2nd time I tried this I hadn’t quite straightened out, so it decided to turn the car to park on the street parallel to the curb.
Great post! Lovely pics and totally dig the car setup overall.

It's interesting you mention the automatic wakeup thing being annoying. I've had a few of those recently where, I just walk by the car in the garage or even parked on the street today...

and it was like...

"No, no... go back to bed!! I don't need you yet friend!!"

The neat part is that you don't have to do anything you can just walk away and it will shut back down and lock itself back up.

Also, yes to the app having more power. I mean... not that I minded spending more time in the car (just sitting in the drive way) after I just bought it but damn it would be nice to setup some of the customizations in my office instead. I think like our virtual assistant, this will probably get better, as it seems a bit tacked on right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #12
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:

Go to vehicle apps, system settings. You'll find time in there.

The X1 has a dual clutch transmission, so there is no parking gear. Turn off the vehicle in gear or hit the parking brake button. That will put the car in "park"
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #13
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yup. found the automatic time setting. If that hadn’t have been there it would have been a wtf moment. Being able to tell time and adjust to time change without human intervention should be a given in new cars and new anything for that matter.

The park comment is more of a getting used to it thing after driving for more years than I want to type.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 09:17 PM   #14
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Having not added the M Sport package, one additional observation is that the stock steering wheel is the spongiest steering wheel I’ve ever experienced. With the steering wheel heat on its actually kinda nice but is a drastic change from sportier steering wheels in past cars.

4 days later have to say that I love this car.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2023, 08:13 PM   #15
bcdx93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X1

Shall we press this button every time before stopping the engine?

Thanks.
Name:  Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 8.11.49 PM.png
Views: 1200
Size:  620.8 KB
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 08:38 PM   #16
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdx93 View Post
Shall we press this button every time before stopping the engine?

Thanks.
Attachment 3069398
The X1 automatically engages the parking brake when you shut off the engine
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 06:09 PM   #17
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
That my Apple Watch is my key, .
how are you enjoying using the Apple Watch as the key so far? does the X1 simply unlock as you walk up to the doors?

I've never had the Apple Watch, but I'm considering getting one. (especially since I still have over $620 in Apple Gift Card that's been sitting unused for over 3 years)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 06:18 PM   #18
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

You can choose for the car to open automatically or so you have to put your hand in the handle. It works fine but mine was opening every time I walked past to go to the garage, take something to the recycling bin, etc, etc, so I've turned the auto opening and locking off.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2023, 06:25 PM   #19
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
You can choose for the car to open automatically or so you have to put your hand in the handle. It works fine but mine was opening every time I walked past to go to the garage, take something to the recycling bin, etc, etc, so I've turned the auto opening and locking off.
It should be pointed out that this is true with the key fob as well when you have the Auto Unlock on as well, just for clarification.
Appreciate 4
      01-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #20
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
how are you enjoying using the Apple Watch as the key so far? does the X1 simply unlock as you walk up to the doors?

I've never had the Apple Watch, but I'm considering getting one. (especially since I still have over $620 in Apple Gift Card that's been sitting unused for over 3 years)

Thanks!
I've had an Apple Watch since they came out, (original, series 3, series 6, and now the Ultra). If you're active and work out a lot, you'll use it plenty. For me, it's basically just so I know when someone texts/calls since my phone is always on silent and sometimes I don't realize someone on my team is trying to get ahold of me. That's literally the only reason I use it, but now with the Digital Key Plus I can go to the beach and not worry about my key falling out of my pocket, or someone stealing it.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2023, 06:37 PM   #21
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
This is why I disabled auto lock; I dont need the car locked in the garage. I could hear it unlocking if I was in the laundry room off the garage.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #22
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

As an american also living in other parts of the world I'm always amazed that we don't use the parking brake everytime we park/shut off the car.

Literally every other part of the world (even with an automatic) does but we don't.

BMW obviously assumed that as in the rest of the world a person would hit (P) for parking brake to apply the parking brake (as you would always do) and put the transmission in park.
Appreciate 2
tex26702414.00