BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) New X1 Owners - How is the DCT Transmission?

12-15-2022, 01:09 PM   #1
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

New X1 Owners - How is the DCT Transmission?

One of my questions about the new X1 concerns the DCT transmission. I've owned 2 cars in the past with a DCT (Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Tucson...don't laugh) that had absolutely awful transmissions. Both cars did the herky-jerky when crawling in traffic. Pulling into the garage was sheer torture as both cars convulsed themselves into involuntary spasms entering the garage at slow speed.

How does the X1 perform in similar circumstances? From what I am reading the X1 has a wet clutch design. Does that make any difference in slow speed situations? How about stop and go rush hour traffic? Curious to see how the X1 composes itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 05:02 PM   #2
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

My only complaint is it is sluggish at times, but not all the time. For instance, when I'm waiting to turn left and a car in the opposite direction stops to wave me to go. I want to go as quickly as I can and sometimes I'll hit the gas pedal and it'll go all the way to the floor, and after about a second and a half will the engine roar to life. But it doesn't do this every time. This is only in regular driving mode as far as I can tell. The service team at the dealer explained it was because of the DCT. This doesn't seem to happen in sport mode.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2022, 07:16 PM   #3
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromans1 View Post
My only complaint is it is sluggish at times, but not all the time. For instance, when I'm waiting to turn left and a car in the opposite direction stops to wave me to go. I want to go as quickly as I can and sometimes I'll hit the gas pedal and it'll go all the way to the floor, and after about a second and a half will the engine roar to life. But it doesn't do this every time. This is only in regular driving mode as far as I can tell. The service team at the dealer explained it was because of the DCT. This doesn't seem to happen in sport mode.
I have that same issue with my 228i. I just leave my vehicle in sport mode all of the time, honestly, and only partly due to that. Not the greatest solution, but works well for me.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      12-15-2022, 09:00 PM   #4
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
This doesn't seem to happen in sport mode.

does the X1 remain in sport mode for days or weeks, until you go into the settings to switch it to comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 09:26 PM   #5
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
does the X1 remain in sport mode for days or weeks, until you go into the settings to switch it to comfort mode?
Nope. I have to put it in sport mode every time. I do wish there were certain settings I could have turn on every single time I get in the car, like sport mode and heated seats and steering wheel in this cold New England weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 09:32 PM   #6
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. I have to put it in sport mode every time. I do wish there were certain settings I could have turn on every single time I get in the car, like sport mode and heated seats and steering wheel in this cold New England weather.
I could swear that I read somewhere that the 2023 X1's driver seat memory included setting for exterior mirrors, seat position, and heated seat settings??? Or does it only remember the seat heater high/medium/low settings, but you still have to turn it on/off manually?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 01:41 AM   #7
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

I feel the same way! I've mainly had my car on sport mode since I got it since it's the only solution to the problem. It's not always sluggish but sport mode definitely takes away the "what if." But otherwise, the transmission isn't bad! My golf was way way jerkier
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 02:42 AM   #8
Junkiehobo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1,X2, X5,VW GTI

Quote:
I could swear that I read somewhere that the 2023 X1's driver seat memory included setting for exterior mirrors, seat position, and heated seat settings??? Or does it only remember the seat heater high/medium/low settings, but you still have to turn it on/off manually?
I have no problem with the heat seats being in when I get in. When I remote start they are not always on but when you sit they turn on automatically and take vary little time to start feeling it. Also with the heating seats I keep mine in high and never have to turn them off as it seems it regulates it’s own temps.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
My heated seats are staying on when I re-start the car the next time if I had them on when the car turned off.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #10
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
My heated seats are staying on when I re-start the car the next time if I had them on when the car turned off.
Is that a setting you have to switch on that I missed?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:59 AM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is that a setting you have to switch on that I missed?
I haven't found a setting. But if I don't turn off the seats/steering wheel, and I restart with the same profile, they stay on next time at the same heat level.

The after sales manager reached out to me this week and said I can come in and meet with a Genius to go thru all the functions. I'm going to wait a few weeks until I get more acclimated to the car, and make a list of issues/questions.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      12-16-2022, 07:23 AM   #12
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't found a setting. But if I don't turn off the seats/steering wheel, and I restart with the same profile, they stay on next time at the same heat level.
Hmm, mine doesn't automatically do that. I wonder if I missed a setting in my driver profile.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #13
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...... meet with a Genius to go thru all the functions. I'm going to wait a few weeks until I get more acclimated to the car, and make a list of issues/questions.
by then you will probably become a BMW Genius yourself!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 07:27 AM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
by then you will probably become a BMW Genius yourself!
I dunno. I had all the functions down in my F30 in about 3 days. iDrive 8 is a bit more challenging so far; I definitely miss the iDrive controller.
Appreciate 0