BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

12-14-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
Help! - Centre Vent Replacement

My brother-in-law recelently purchased a used 2020 118i (F40). Lovely car. However, it has a broken centre vent control mechanism, meaning that on one of the two vents, the horizontal vanes cannot be controlled, so the air flow just blows wherever. I have bought a repair kit to remedy this, but I am not sure how to fit the replacement parts.

I've had a quick look and can't see a way to remove them from the front, so after doing some Googling I am wondering if the alternative is to remove the entire panel, then separate the front trim from the main unit in order to get access (clips circled in red on rear photo). Has anyone done this before? Can anyone advise if this is the correct method, and if so, how to get the full unit out?

Obviously BMW don't sell the replacement parts, and they advise a full new control unit is required, for over £1000!!! Second hand is around £150, but requires re-programming which will add cost. And the repair kit is a much more reasonable £25, hence why I am going this route.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 02:44 AM   #2
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
Sorted!

In case anyone else stumbles across the thread with the same issue, it was super-easy to do in the end. Didn't need to remove anything or disassemble anything, other than the old broken vent pieces.

All you need is a long thin flat-blade screwdriver. There are no screws to undo, just a single retaining mechanism to release which will allow the vent to pop out, as per the arrow on the photo.

You need to slide the screwdriver between the retaining piece and the vent open/close wheel, where the vertical line is. Once the screwdriver is in place pull out what is left of the vent slats and they will pop out, then you can refit the new one. Piece of cake
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FooMer22.50
      12-15-2022, 02:48 AM   #3
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

I cannot claim to have tried exactly this operation, but I think you are right. Those clips are holding the air channel and you need to open them and pull the channel off.

No doubt, it will involve some strong language and a need for patience. These things are meant to be clipped into place and never taken apart again.

Pull the unit out, and bring it indoors and give it 30 minutes at least to heat up, this will ensure the plastic is less brittle. You might want to heat it slightly above room temp, with a hair dryer or similar.

If you break something and need to glue it, use a glue that doesn't set solid, like Super Glue "gel".
Appreciate 0