BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) how does one clean the leaves that are trapped behind the closed active grill?

12-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

how does one clean the leaves that are trapped behind the closed active grill?

when I was testing driving the demo X1 a couple of weeks ago, the salesman took me through some residential streets. a lot of people were blowing their leaves to the curb for pick up. As I drove past that, some of leaves were stuck to the grill.

when we were back at the dealership, I started to pull out some leaves that were halfway in. The grill shutter was closed and I couldn't get to some of the other leaves. Is there a switch or something to manually open the grill shutters to clear out leaves? (or possibly insects when driving in the summer)

Thanks1
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
when I was testing driving the demo X1 a couple of weeks ago, the salesman took me through some residential streets. a lot of people were blowing their leaves to the curb for pick up. As I drove past that, some of leaves were stuck to the grill.

when we were back at the dealership, I started to pull out some leaves that were halfway in. The grill shutter was closed and I couldn't get to some of the other leaves. Is there a switch or something to manually open the grill shutters to clear out leaves? (or possibly insects when driving in the summer)

Thanks1
If the shutters are closed, how are the leaves getting in behind the shutters? I had a '19 X3M40i a few years ago with the shutters. I don't think there's a way to get in behind...in fact I never saw the shutters open. I wouldn't worry too much about it
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
If the shutters are closed, how are the leaves getting in behind the shutters? I had a '19 X3M40i a few years ago with the shutters. I don't think there's a way to get in behind...in fact I never saw the shutters open. I wouldn't worry too much about it
it was a very warm day when I test drove it a couple of weeks ago(almost 82... but the day before it was in the 40s) I assume that the shutters opened during the test drive? It was so hot that the AC was on full blast during the test drive... which reminds me... I really loved how I was able to say the temperature that I wanted(68 degrees) and the X1 just complied.
Appreciate 0