BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Ordering Question: Technology Plus Pack and Driving Assistant Pro vs. Plus

12-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
neil_79
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Ordering Question: Technology Plus Pack and Driving Assistant Pro vs. Plus

I have an X1 23i M Sport on order (UK), which was at Status 112 scheduled for Week 50 production, but has now moved back to Status 105. As a result, I'm wondering whether to add to the specification but looking for a bit of guidance on the Technology Plus Pack, Driving Assistant Professional and Driving Assistant Plus.

Questions are:

1. For those that have taken delivery and have the Technology Plus Pack (Parking Assistant Plus, Cockpit Live Professional, Head Up Display), what has your experience been?

2. I know in the UK you need to add the Technology Plus Pack to add the Driving Assistant Professional Pack. My questions is whether anyone has experience of Driving Assistant Pro and what did you think?

3. Finally, the UK configurator says that Driving Assistant Plus (adaptive cruise control) can be added after production via Connected Drive Upgrades. Does anyone know if the same is true of Driving Assistant Pro if you have the Technology Plus Pack fitted?

The responses I've had from the dealer aren't very clear...

Many thanks!

Last edited by neil_79; 12-12-2022 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Unfortunately these are decisions that only you can decide if it's worth the extra cost and the potential (probable) increased delay, however;

I have a Premier Pro, which basically has all the options so;

1. This was a must for me. Once you've had a quality head up display you really miss it not being there. The one in the X1 is actually better than the one I had in my X3 or M135i. It's a nice big display, very clear and bright. Cockpit live professional also gives you augmented reality sat nav which is a really good gimmick that I like a lot. The adaptive lights are okay, but not as nice as the ones I had in the X3 and M135i. They don't steer with the wheel even though they are supposed to. They are using the new light units which don't steer but alter the beam instead. They react quickly to oncoming traffic and are probably better at that but I miss the steering.

2. Driving assistant pro. This works much better than the system I had in my Cupra Formentor which was nicknamed the death machine after it tried to kill me twice on the M62. Distance control is much better, it has less phantom breaking and overall works pretty good. Now I don't do many miles and few of them are on the motorway so it's usefulness is a little limited. At £1,500 I don't think I'd order it again, however if I did lots of motorway munching then I could certainly see the positives in it. As I mentioned I bought a premier Pro so this was standard so I've at least had the chance to try it.

3. Sorry to say I've no idea, but I assume you can as all the equipment is there already and it's just a software program that is activated. Although I'm not actually sure what's the difference with the pro version in the UK.

Any particular questions just ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:16 PM   #3
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post

2. Driving assistant pro. This works much better than the system I had in my Cupra Formentor which was nicknamed the death machine after it tried to kill me twice on the M62. Distance control is much better, it has less phantom breaking and overall works pretty good. Now I don't do many miles and few of them are on the motorway so it's usefulness is a little limited. At £1,500 I don't think I'd order it again, however if I did lots of motorway munching then I could certainly see the positives in it. As I mentioned I bought a premier Pro so this was standard so I've at least had the chance to try it.
in the US, Driving Assistant Professional is a US$1700 option. If I never use cruise control, is it pointless to get this option?
'
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #4
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
in the US, Driving Assistant Professional is a US$1700 option. If I never use cruise control, is it pointless to get this option?
'
Thanks!
Yes.

I'd you're not going to use cruise control then it's completely pointless as it's just fancy cruise control that adjusts your speed and distance automatically. Obviously you could get different things in that pack in the US, but I think that's the major part of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 05:41 PM   #5
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Yes.

I'd you're not going to use cruise control then it's completely pointless as it's just fancy cruise control that adjusts your speed and distance automatically. Obviously you could get different things in that pack in the US, but I think that's the major part of it.
if I'm driving on the interstate at 75mph(not on cruise control), will the X1's standard(at least for the US) Driving Assistant Plus features slow down or stop the car when the traffic ahead comes to a stop? for example, at toll booths or in traffic jams.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Yes.

I never used cruise control....until I got a car with adaptive cruise. Before, I didnt use CC because most of the highways in the NE are busy, and I was constantly turning it on and off. But with adaptive cruise, I can leave it on virtually the entire trip, including if I hit stop and go traffic.

So for those of you who don't use regular CC on highway trips, you may be converted if you have adaptive CC.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #7
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I never used cruise control....until I got a car with adaptive cruise. Before, I didnt use CC because most of the highways in the NE are busy, and I was constantly turning it on and off. But with adaptive cruise, I can leave it on virtually the entire trip, including if I hit stop and go traffic.

So for those of you who don't use regular CC on highway trips, you may be converted if you have adaptive CC.
Totally agree! Best case use for me is on a divided highway that has stoplights. It amazes me that the car will slow, stop, and then resume speed as conditions and traffic fluctuate.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 05:02 PM   #8
neil_79
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Unfortunately these are decisions that only you can decide if it's worth the extra cost and the potential (probable) increased delay, however;

I have a Premier Pro, which basically has all the options so;

1. This was a must for me. Once you've had a quality head up display you really miss it not being there. The one in the X1 is actually better than the one I had in my X3 or M135i. It's a nice big display, very clear and bright. Cockpit live professional also gives you augmented reality sat nav which is a really good gimmick that I like a lot. The adaptive lights are okay, but not as nice as the ones I had in the X3 and M135i. They don't steer with the wheel even though they are supposed to. They are using the new light units which don't steer but alter the beam instead. They react quickly to oncoming traffic and are probably better at that but I miss the steering.

3. Sorry to say I've no idea, but I assume you can as all the equipment is there already and it's just a software program that is activated. Although I'm not actually sure what's the difference with the pro version in the UK.

Any particular questions just ask.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I've asked the dealer to add the Technology Plus Pack and then I'll look to add Driving Assistant Plus via ConnectedDrive subscription post production.

Hope you're enjoying the your X1!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #9
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
if I'm driving on the interstate at 75mph(not on cruise control), will the X1's standard(at least for the US) Driving Assistant Plus features slow down or stop the car when the traffic ahead comes to a stop? for example, at toll booths or in traffic jams.

thanks!
That's the adaptive cruise, so you have to set as you would cruise control but it does the rest. If it's not enabled then you would have a spectacular end to your journey.

As far as I know adaptive cruise won't stop for a toll booth you'll have to do that yourself. But in theory you should be able make the location and the car will roll the window down for you when you get there if it's any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #10
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_79 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I've asked the dealer to add the Technology Plus Pack and then I'll look to add Driving Assistant Plus via ConnectedDrive subscription post production.

Hope you're enjoying the your X1!
You're welcome and just ask any questions you have. You'll love the tech plus pack.

Still happy with it and still loving it, although it did throw a paddy yesterday not letting me open the doors with my watch, not switching on the heated seats and had a meltdown with the usb music. I think it was doing an update in the background or something or just didn't like the fact it was -4.5 degrees. It was all back to normal on a restart.
Appreciate 0