BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Storm Bay MSport collected

11-27-2022, 04:05 PM   #1
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Storm Bay MSport collected

I thought I'd put up a quick post about my MSport Premier Pro which I collected yesterday. These are special launch editions in the UK that essentially have most of the options ticked. Unfortunately I'm missing out on leather which I would have preferred, but the MSport's come with alcantara sport seats which are still really nice. This version comes with the driving assistance professional option which is the semi autonomous driving and seems to work really well, certainly better than the Cupra I had before.

Name:  B057403C-6775-4AC7-83C5-9461CFB62062.jpeg
Views: 19177
Size:  243.8 KB

Name:  769FB200-45A5-4D55-89A6-E357FB8B9635.jpeg
Views: 9302
Size:  230.5 KB

We chose storm bay grey metallic with the full shadowline pack, so it removes all the chrome. We really like the colour, I just need some decent weather now to machine polish it and ceramic coat it which unfortunately won't be for a few months.

I was a little worried after reading some of the posts but I have to say I'm really happy with it. We only get the 23i in the UK but it's quick enough, especially considering I can't even rev it at the moment as it's being run in. The handling is great, the ride is a little firm but I'm happier with that as it takes corners much better and doesn't lean. I've not even felt the need to put it into sport mode to stiffen things up. The steering is a little light compared to other cars I've had but it's not a big complaint and still inspires confidence. The surround cameras are fantastic and the moon roof is glorious. I also don't have any issues with the brakes, again its only done 80 miles so everything is still bedding in, but they are progressive and a decent initial bite.

Only negatives are the Harmon kardon is a little weak on bass but it is very clear and I'm sure will bed in. The infotainment takes a little getting used to but after a couple of hours with it I'm getting much more used to it. To be honest there's no real problems at all with the car, it's more would be nicer if's.

Overall I'm really happy with it and so far has been a wise purchase, hopefully those thoughts stay with me after the honeymoon.

Last edited by Supa Koopa; 11-28-2022 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 7
      11-27-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
Pph55
Rep
Drives: X1 x20d msport glacier silver

Garage List
Glad you like your X1 hope fully mine will be in this week��
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pph55 View Post
Glad you like your X1 hope fully mine will be in this week��
I'd like to hear what your thoughts are when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

That color looks so good with M Sport package. The demo X1 at the dealer was the same color, except with X-Line. I test drove it twice and loved the color. It has that wonderful understated elegance.(while retaining that distinct bold and menacing look)

just out of curiosity... I saw a YouTube video by someone in Australia, which was also right-hand-drive. I was amused that BMW couldn't be bothered to change the direction of opening for the center armrest lid. (Which opens towards the left seat, just like on the left-hand-drive X1)
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2022, 06:33 PM   #5
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
That color looks so good with M Sport package. The demo X1 at the dealer was the same color, except with X-Line. I test drove it twice and loved the color. It has that wonderful understated elegance.(while retaining that distinct bold and menacing look)

just out of curiosity... I saw a YouTube video by someone in Australia, which was also right-hand-drive. I was amused that BMW couldn't be bothered to change the direction of opening for the center armrest lid. (Which opens towards the left seat, just like on the left-hand-drive X1)
Typical cost cutting, to be honest these sorts of things happen to us all the time. It's very frustrating when we clearly drive on the correct side of the road and are then punished for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #6
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Typical cost cutting, to be honest these sorts of things happen to us all the time. It's very frustrating when we clearly drive on the correct side of the road and are then punished for it.
back in the late 1980s, a friend and I drove his UK car to Europe.(a right-hand-drive old Mercedes 190E, if I recalll) While on the ferry, he put on some sort of headlight stickers to cover up the left headlight to avoid blinding drivers in the left-hand-drive Europe.

how is this accomplished these days? Does BMW have a switch to let you change the headlight settings? Or do you still have to use those sticker things?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 09:03 PM   #7
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

Just a quick message to say it looks awesome. I like the colour a lot.

Thanks for sharing your initial feedback. I find it useful for us soon-to-be owners.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2022, 12:17 PM   #8
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
back in the late 1980s, a friend and I drove his UK car to Europe.(a right-hand-drive old Mercedes 190E, if I recalll) While on the ferry, he put on some sort of headlight stickers to cover up the left headlight to avoid blinding drivers in the left-hand-drive Europe.

how is this accomplished these days? Does BMW have a switch to let you change the headlight settings? Or do you still have to use those sticker things?

Thanks!
I think this is done in the software now, especially with the new LEDs as they can adapt their light pattern. The LEDs in the X3 I had previously had motors to adjust them, this is no longer needed with the new tech, so I'm guessing this change could easily be done in software. Happy to be proved wrong as I'm not certain.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #9
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Small update. I messed with a few settings and changed the audio source and I'm now much happier with the Harmon kardon speakers. There's obviously no real sub bass as the woofers aren't big or powerful enough to get in to the really low frequencies, but I'm much happier now. I'm glad I specced it now as it was one of my must haves when ordering.

It's very flash being able to open your doors and start the car with only having your phone/watch on you.

The augmented sat nav is also the best invention ever. Another one of my must haves and I'm pleased to say this was a great idea. It's been quite a while since I was this pleased with a car.

Last edited by Supa Koopa; 11-28-2022 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dlanod13.50
      11-28-2022, 12:33 PM   #10
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Small update. I messed with a few settings and changed the audio source and I'm now much happier with the Harmon kardon speakers. There's obviously no real sub bass as the woofers aren't big or powerful enough to get in to the really low frequencies, but I'm much happier now. I'm glad I specced it now as it was one of my must haves when ordering.

The augmented sat nav is also the best invention ever. Another one of my must haves and I'm pleased to say this was a great idea. It's been quite a while since I was this pleased with a car.
We here in America can't get the AR navigation on the X1 even if we are willing to pay. On the other hand, may not even work in my part of the state... definitely not on the streets near me, since even Google Maps doesn't have my street yet, after a couple of years of complaining by over 100+ residents in my subdivision.

As for the Harmon Kardon system... in the BMW brochure, it lists the subwoofers as one under each front seat. I imagine that it's just a tiny plastic enclosure with a woofer inside? (forgot to look when I took the test drive a couple of weeks ago)

My father's friend, a retired navy vice admiral, really loved that Stormy Bay color when I showed it to him recently. (obviously)

Last edited by bluecrabby; 11-28-2022 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #11
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Thanks for sharing! That's really cool, hope to have mine in a few weeks.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #12
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
We here in America can't get the AR navigation on the X1 even if we are willing to pay. On the other hand, may not even work in my part of the state... definitely not on the streets near me, since even Google Maps doesn't have my street yet, after a couple of years of complaining by over 100+ residents in my subdivision.

As for the Harmon Kardon system... in the BMW brochure, it lists the subwoofers as one under each front seat. I imagine that it's just a tiny plastic enclosure with a woofer inside? (forgot to look when I took the test drive a couple of weeks ago)

My father's friend, a retired navy vice admiral, really loved that Stormy Bay color when I showed it to him recently. (obviously)
Where did you see we don't get the augmented nav? I thought it was included in the premium package.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 05:15 PM   #13
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Where did you see we don't get the augmented nav? I thought it was included in the premium package.
wasn't on the both demo X1 that I test drove.... the salesman looked it up and said it wasn't available...

also, I'm pretty sure someone here also said the same thing?

but I sure hope that they were wrong!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 05:20 PM   #14
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
wasn't on the both demo X1 that I test drove.... the salesman looked it up and said it wasn't available...

also, I'm pretty sure someone here also said the same thing?
It's listed on my spec sheet I got from my dealer once it left production, option 6U3 under Live Cockpit Pro.

I think to enable the video A/R from what I've seen from videos, you have to enter a route and then click a few options within the Nav app to switch to the A/R view.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #15
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
It's listed on my spec sheet I got from my dealer once it left production, option 6U3 under Live Cockpit Pro.

I think to enable the video A/R from what I've seen from videos, you have to enter a route and then click a few options within the Nav app to switch to the A/R view.
That's what I thought. 6U3 is listed on the U.S. X1 pricing guide.

My nearest BMW dealer is over 2 hours away, but I'm going to that area tomorrow anyway. If I have time, I'm going to stop by and check the demo X1 again. (none of the other 5 BMW dealers within 3-hour driving time has a demo, except the one I went to a couple of weeks ago) When I did the test drive both times, I was concentrating only only how quiet the cabin was and the engine auto stop/start(still not good, but acceptable for a petrol engine without hybrid)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 12:16 AM   #16
Junkiehobo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1,X2, X5,VW GTI

Quote:
That's what I thought. 6U3 is listed on the U.S. X1 pricing guide.

My nearest BMW dealer is over 2 hours away, but I'm going to that area tomorrow anyway. If I have time, I'm going to stop by and check the demo X1 again. (none of the other 5 BMW dealers within 3-hour driving time has a demo, except the one I went to a couple of weeks ago) When I did the test drive both times, I was concentrating only only how quiet the cabin was and the engine auto stop/start(still not good, but acceptable for a petrol engine without hybrid)
My Nav AR works. It’s a US Spec (in Germany)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 06:41 AM   #17
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkiehobo View Post
My Nav AR works. It’s a US Spec (in Germany)
is there something in the settings that you have to turn on? (before or after the navigation has started)

when I was test driving the dealer's demo X1, the salesman and I could not make it work. (only regular navigation map worked) He went and tried it again in a customer's car and also couldn't make it work.(car was getting PDI at the time) Both had the Premium package, so AR navigation should have been included.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #18
Junkiehobo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1,X2, X5,VW GTI

Quote:
is there something in the settings that you have to turn on? (before or after the navigation has started)

when I was test driving the dealer's demo X1, the salesman and I could not make it work. (only regular navigation map worked) He went and tried it again in a customer's car and also couldn't make it work.(car was getting PDI at the time) Both had the Premium package, so AR navigation should have been included.
With in the Navi settings there is an AR enable toggle
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 08:26 PM   #19
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkiehobo View Post
With in the Navi settings there is an AR enable toggle
went to the dealer this afternoon and they tried to get AR navigation to work... somehow it wasn't on the X1 that they had. At one point, they got 5 people trying to figure it out.(salesman, service tech, Genius, and two other random employees)

They came to the conclusion that maybe their demo X1 just didn't have it. (despite the fact that it had the Premium package on it)

Oh well....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 08:51 PM   #20
jefp02
Rep

I picked mine up yesterday, used the AR Nav today, worked like a charm, really cool feature.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2022, 02:48 PM   #21
Pph55
Rep
Drives: X1 x20d msport glacier silver

Garage List
Just picked up the x1 23d msport Portimao blue fantastic! What a difference from the old model haven’t driven it to far so will give a better review later but so far the lights are better and the brakes are superb
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
tex26702414.00
GuyOh1067.00
      11-30-2022, 03:48 PM   #22
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pph55 View Post
Just picked up the x1 23d msport Portimao blue fantastic! What a difference from the old model haven’t driven it to far so will give a better review later but so far the lights are better and the brakes are superb
Diesel is the best!

sadly, nobody wants them in the US, except me and a few others doesn't help the at most stations here on the East Cost have diesel prices that are more than double the regular gasoline. ($5.98 diesel vs $2.79 for regular gas when I was filling up gas)
Appreciate 0