BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) ok, it's official. 80-yr-old mom is more hip than me: She ordered Frozen Pure Grey X1

11-14-2022, 10:52 PM   #1
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

ok, it's official. 80-yr-old mom is more hip than me: She ordered Frozen Pure Grey X1

UPDATE: not sure how the salesman was even capable of making such a mistake... but he just called and said that he made a mistake. The order came back as invalid because Frozen Pure Grey required the M Sport package. Part of the blame goes to me, I guess. I was there to help my mom make sure that the salesman ordered it exactly the way she wanted. I actually knew that M Sport package was required before going in. However, when my mom decided that she didnt' want the M Sport package while at the dealer, I just told the salesman to take it out. Here's what I don't get.... I remember him entering the order on his computer. How did the system allow him to price the X1 on a non-allowed combination in the first place? Anyway... so now it's back to square one. This also explained why the dealer never attempted to authorize the credit card after 5 days. The only good thing was that the salesman said that the sales manager offered a $500 goodwill credit(knocks $500 off) for this mix-up. I just hope it doesn't come out the salesman's paycheck/commission.

ok, it's official. my 80-year-old mom is more hip than me.

This afternoon, she placed an order for a 2023 X1. In Frozen Pure Grey metallic. Even the saleswoman was like "honey, are you sure about that color?"(there was another BMW model in the showroom with that color) She also wanted the M Sport package(for the M steering wheel and paddle shifter), but she didn't like the sport seat after trying it again today... so ended up with just X-Line, Premium, oyster with that koala bear tree wood trim.... and... ready for this? 20-inch wheels. (tried to get her to just get it with the 18-inch wheels because I think they are more comfortable... but she insisted)

All the dealers around here only have allocation for late January(or later) production, so it will be end of February before it comes to America. Ended up going to a dealer out-of-state(but only 30 minutes away across the state line because a friend recommended it)

Well... I guess I can look forward to her getting a full EV convertible in some fancy color when she turns 100.

In the mean time, I suppose I should get all the car washing gears ready, because I'll have to go wash her the X1 by hand from now on.

Sorry for that rant....

Last edited by bluecrabby; 11-18-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-14-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Is your mom single?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:00 AM   #3
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post

This afternoon, she placed an order for a 2023 X1. In Frozen Pure Grey metallic. Even the saleswoman was like "honey, are you sure about that color?"(there was another BMW model in the showroom with that color) She also wanted the M Sport package(for the M steering wheel and paddle shifter), but she didn't like the sport seat after trying it again today... so ended up with just X-Line, Premium, oyster with that koala bear tree wood trim.... and... ready for this? 20-inch wheels. (tried to get her to just get it with the 18-inch wheels because I think they are more comfortable... but she insisted)

All the dealers around here only have allocation for late January(or later) production, so it will be end of February before it comes to America. Ended up going to a dealer out-of-state(but only 30 minutes away across the state line because a friend recommended it)

Well... I guess I can look forward to her getting a full EV convertible in some fancy color when she turns 100.

In the mean time, I suppose I should get all the car washing gears ready, because I'll have to go wash her the X1 by hand from now on.

Sorry for that rant....
Awesome! I hope when I turn 80 my eyes are still good enough to drive.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:17 AM   #4
harris06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1

Quote:

Sorry for that rant....
That’s pretty cool of her to choose frozen pure grey with 20’s
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Sorry for that rant....
Ummm....is your mom gonna get a set of winter tires? 20" are summer performance tires.....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #6
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Good for her!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 09:58 AM   #7
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird71 View Post
Is your mom single?
technically, yes... unfortunately, my father passed away suddenly last Christmas... but it just occurred to me that he would have agreed with that color choice as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Ummm....is your mom gonna get a set of winter tires? 20" are summer performance tires.....
I forgot how she used to put it.... "only fools, TV reporters, and snow plow crews should be out there on the roads if there's even an inch of snow" (something like that. To be honest, that's pretty wise advice, no?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I forgot how she used to put it.... "only fools, TV reporters, and snow plow crews should be out there on the roads if there's even an inch of snow" (something like that. To be honest, that's pretty wise advice, no?
Yeah but that's not the full story. Below 40*, summer performance tires lose a lot of grip, snow or no snow. No one should be driving around on summer performance tires in cold temps.

https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...in-winter.html
Appreciate 1
bmwforme257.00
      11-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #10
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but that's not the full story. Below 40*, summer performance tires lose a lot of grip, snow or no snow. No one should be driving around on summer performance tires in cold temps.
I will let her know... but if she gets mad, I'm gonna say "some dude on the internet said it, not me"

the older that I get, the wiser that I get.... well.. not really... I still remember how my 96-year-old grandfather talked to my parents like they were 10-year-olds... right in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will let her know... but if she gets mad, I'm gonna say "some dude on the internet said it, not me"

the older that I get, the wiser that I get.... well.. not really... I still remember how my 96-year-old grandfather talked to my parents like they were 10-year-olds... right in front of me.
I'll still let you take the credit when she doesn't end up in a ditch.

You're a better son than I am undertaking to keep her car clean.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:43 AM   #12
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll still let you take the credit when she doesn't end up in a ditch.

You're a better son than I am undertaking to keep her car clean.
well.. don't give me too much credit. I used to go to her house and take the car or SUV to get it cleaned.... at the local car wash which charges $25 a pop. they have a car wash tunnel that moves the cars forward, but the washing is done by a team of 5 or 6 guys wearing big wash mitts. when you come out, they dry the cars by hand.... then do the waxing/polishing by hand(no powertools), if requested. the owner of the car wash is always looking for anything that his employees missed.(even if it's a simple water streak across the windows)

with the frozen paint, I'm not so sure I want to take it to them. As great as they are, I don't think they will take the time to take care of frozen paints delicately.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:54 PM   #13
harris06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1

We all need a crash course on manual car washing .. seriously .. please !! I don’t even know what stuff I need to get for this. I have messed up my paint so bad that with the auto washes. Don’t wanna repeat the same mistake
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 02:50 AM   #14
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris06 View Post
We all need a crash course on manual car washing .. seriously .. please !! I don’t even know what stuff I need to get for this. I have messed up my paint so bad that with the auto washes. Don’t wanna repeat the same mistake
This guy has a great YouTube channel about everything detailing, very easy to follow along too.

https://www.youtube.com/@PanTheOrganizer
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 08:23 AM   #15
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
This guy has a great YouTube channel about everything detailing, very easy to follow along too.

https://www.youtube.com/@PanTheOrganizer
Thank you! however, 10 minutes into his video on washing matte paint, I decided that it was just way too much. I remembered all the thousands of bugs on the grill and front of my cars in the summer around here.(not a pretty sight when they make contact with the car at 75mph)

Going to have a talk with my mother next week and get her to change her mind about the frozen paint... perhaps convince her to change to that new space silver or even cape york green metallic.(she did consider those two colors prior to ordering the frozen paint) Wish me luck!

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #16
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Frozen grey paint is not a good choice if you're not competent with safe washing techniques. I am and I spend lots of time and money on car cleaning and frozen paint scares me.

If it gets any light scratches you've got them for life as you can't polish them out. You have to be careful when cleaning as you can easily make areas shiny by just rubbing too vigorously with a cloth. It's a beautiful colour and finish but you have go in to it with your eyes open and do your research on how to look after it. I almost went for it but I chickened out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #17
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Frozen grey paint is not a good choice if you're not competent with safe washing techniques. I am and I spend lots of time and money on car cleaning and frozen paint scares me.

If it gets any light scratches you've got them for life as you can't polish them out. You have to be careful when cleaning as you can easily make areas shiny by just rubbing too vigorously with a cloth. It's a beautiful colour and finish but you have go in to it with your eyes open and do your research on how to look after it. I almost went for it but I chickened out.
I can imagine how time-consuming it must be. I know I can do it... I'm one of those people who can spend 8+ hours to wash/detail a car.(which drives the neighbors crazy) But when I do a job, I only do it well(or don't do it at all).

However, I can't even begin to imagine what I will have to do if the usual bugs get on the X1 with frozen grey paint in the summer around here. (below is a picture similar to what we get here in the summer on a regular basis)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #18
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You need to clean them off immediately or they can stain and it becomes impossible to remove. Unfortunately I can see that being very problematic in your situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #19
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need to clean them off immediately or they can stain and it becomes impossible to remove. Unfortunately I can see that being very problematic in your situation.
which reminds me of another thing that's been on my mind...

with the active grille shutters, I assume they are wide open in the summer here(usually close to 100 degrees F, almost 38 C). when driving on the highway, the bugs also end up on the radiator fins inside. how does one clean that off? is there a way to manually open those shutters? With regular car grills, I just direct the pressure washer nozzle at the fins and hose off the insects... not sure how that's done with BMW's closed shutters.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:11 AM   #20
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I'm neither brave or diligent enough to try a frozen paint color. I'm seriously considering doing my own ceramic coat after watching that guys YouTube channel. It would save me about $1,000 at least!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 05:47 AM   #21
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I'm neither brave or diligent enough to try a frozen paint color. I'm seriously considering doing my own ceramic coat after watching that guys YouTube channel. It would save me about $1,000 at least!
The hardest bit is making the first step to trying it.

I've found CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 one of the easiest to use. This is what will be going on mine when the weather improves. Gyeon MOHS Evo was okay, the first part was easy but the skin top coat was very grabby. Gtechniq crystal serum light was good as well but the exo top coat didn't seem to last that long.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #22
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
The hardest bit is making the first step to trying it.

I've found CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 one of the easiest to use. This is what will be going on mine when the weather improves. Gyeon MOHS Evo was okay, the first part was easy but the skin top coat was very grabby. Gtechniq crystal serum light was good as well but the exo top coat didn't seem to last that long.
Hard part for me is I don't have a shady enclosed area to do the application. My condos parking garage is pretty breezy, and my dad's place the only place I could do it in is the driveway, and the paint surface would get pretty hot. I was looking at the CQuartz line as my top choice since it seems to be getting a lot of great reviews. Can you drive the car around like normal while the coating is curing?
Appreciate 0