BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Wrong trim on ordered car

11-11-2022, 10:15 PM   #1
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Wrong trim on ordered car

So my 2023 X1 arrived with the wrong trim. Ordered Eucalyptus, got piano black. Took most of the joy of delivery away. Dealer is now researching options. We completed all the paperwork first, including the trade-in, before we were taken to tour our new car. At that point, I think we were stuck.

How difficult will it be for them to order the Eucalyptus and swap it out?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 11:41 PM   #2
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromans1 View Post
So my 2023 X1 arrived with the wrong trim. Ordered Eucalyptus, got piano black. Took most of the joy of delivery away. Dealer is now researching options. We completed all the paperwork first, including the trade-in, before we were taken to tour our new car. At that point, I think we were stuck.

Well, I guess one could say, "it all depends" on whose going to pay to swop out all the trim pieces (labor) and pay for the new parts? IF the trim you mention includes the dash, the four door cards, the seats, the center console etc. then the swop could be fairly involved. It's not difficult for the Dealer to do, but it could be time consuming. Post a few pics of the differences and the parts involved from the online simulator /configurator..
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 11:42 PM   #3
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

you have paperwork that you ordered a different car yes?

so this is not your car you paid for

ask for a 50% discount
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
RM72892.50
      11-11-2022, 11:49 PM   #4
MasterOfNone
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
you have paperwork that you ordered a different car yes?

so this is not your car you paid for

ask for a 50% discount
Australasia must be reasonable place.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 12:05 AM   #5
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
Australasia must be reasonable place.
You have three business days (excluding weekends and public holidays) after you sign a contract to change your mind. This is your cooling-off period. However, if you choose to accept delivery of the vehicle during this three-day period, you will automatically lose your right to cool off.

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cars...o%20cool%20off.

and

The code says that when an item is scanned at a higher price than it says on the shelf or as advertised, a customer is entitled to receive the first item free and all later items at the lower price.

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/c...eading-pricing
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-12-2022, 12:21 AM   #6
MasterOfNone
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
You have three business days (excluding weekends and public holidays) after you sign a contract to change your mind. This is your cooling-off period. However, if you choose to accept delivery of the vehicle during this three-day period, you will automatically lose your right to cool off.

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cars...o%20cool%20off.

and

The code says that when an item is scanned at a higher price than it says on the shelf or as advertised, a customer is entitled to receive the first item free and all later items at the lower price.

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/c...eading-pricing

America, doesn't abide by AU law.

I wish we did though, that is actually awesome.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-12-2022, 07:14 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

If you can show in the order bank history that this car was ordered with the right trim, and came in with the wrong trim, Bmwna can make a special dispensation to you and pick up virtually all of the cost to make the change over, or order you a new car. It all depends where the mistake was made. If it was made at the factory, Bmwna will help you out, if it was made at the dealer, they won’t.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #8
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:

What was the listed trim on both the original order, as well as in mygarage when you were tracking the car's production? If it was Eucalyptus, then that's on them and they need to fix it. If it was piano black, then unfortunately there's not much you can do other than to refuse delivery and order yourself a new car.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-12-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

FWIW when looking at the order look at both for "Eucalyptus" but also the trim part number. The part number is more critical.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #10
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

Man, that sucks. When I was a CA, my manager never paid attention to trims. I was rather new then, and didn't know how to pull up a build sheet, so I had that happen once with a customer build. Thankfully, the customer didn't care in my scenario, but that made me hyper-aware to verify everything, and we also have the customer verify the submitted build, so we can ensure we don't run into that scenario.

Does the window sticker show piano black? If so, I'd imagine it's a mistake at the dealer level. If not, then BMW themselves would *likely* rectify it.

This may be a far second choice for you, but maybe there's a wrap they could have produced that would make it look like the Eucalyptus trim?

If the dealership is anything like ours, a bad survey on the line will make us do whatever we can to make sure that it becomes a good survey.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igott View Post
Man, that sucks. When I was a CA, my manager never paid attention to trims. I was rather new then, and didn't know how to pull up a build sheet, so I had that happen once with a customer build. Thankfully, the customer didn't care in my scenario, but that made me hyper-aware to verify everything, and we also have the customer verify the submitted build, so we can ensure we don't run into that scenario.

Does the window sticker show piano black? If so, I'd imagine it's a mistake at the dealer level. If not, then BMW themselves would *likely* rectify it.

This may be a far second choice for you, but maybe there's a wrap they could have produced that would make it look like the Eucalyptus trim?

If the dealership is anything like ours, a bad survey on the line will make us do whatever we can to make sure that it becomes a good survey.
It was definitely a mistake by the dealer. The window sticker says black high gloss. But my build sheet says Eucalyptus.

What do you mean by"survey on the line"? Will they send me a survey to complete that gets published somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #12
HondaRC51
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi

Garage List
2009 335xi E92  [0.00]
2016 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
When I worked at a Ford dealership, we had this happen a few times. From a truck not having auto folding mirrors to a paint job being wrong. It depends on if the dealership will refund the price of the add-on/accessory, give the customer something (i.e. oil change for life, extend warranty, etc.), or have Ford corporate expedite the actual vehicle (if it was deemed appropriate like a $90k+ vehicle or special edition). Id definitely recommend you have everything in writing on what you ordered and immediately get a hold of someone at BMW HQ about it before the dealership wants to offer you something. We always told our customers to contact HQ because sometimes they can get the ball rolling ALOT faster than we could.....and we knew our managers would lie or lowball the customer to get them to go away quickly.

Last edited by HondaRC51; 11-12-2022 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #13
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
America, doesn't abide by AU law.

I wish we did though, that is actually awesome.
Sounds good, but we in the US get BMW's for a huge bargain when compared to many (if not all) other countries.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317971.00
________4158.50
      11-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #14
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Sounds good, but we in the US get BMW's for a huge bargain when compared to many (if not all) other countries.
Yup... people often don't realize how inexpensive cars here in the US are compared to much of the world where they're subject to taxes and duties/tariffs often doubling the cost of the car.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #15
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Did you get a copy of the order in the form of the MSRP report showing all options when you gave them your deposit? I always send a copy to the customer for their initials and acceptance. This shows trim and all options. In some cases, standard trim won't show but optional will. If got the "build sheet" and the car was built to different specs, it could be a substitution by BMW but youre dealer should have known that. If it's that big of a deal, just reorder. They should become much easier to get very soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #16
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Did you get a copy of the order in the form of the MSRP report showing all options when you gave them your deposit? I always send a copy to the customer for their initials and acceptance. This shows trim and all options. In some cases, standard trim won't show but optional will. If got the "build sheet" and the car was built to different specs, it could be a substitution by BMW but youre dealer should have known that. If it's that big of a deal, just reorder. They should become much easier to get very soon.
I have the order form showing I ordered Eucalyptus, and my CA said he ordered it as such. There was a handoff to another CA because mine went on vacation before he could submit the order. The order I got from the other CA I see now has black gloss trim, but I didn't notice it then. I also never signed it. My original CA is huddling with the other CA, apparently his boss, to figure out what to do. I want to know why the second CA didn't just submit the order as given originally to the first CA. But now I don't know how I could just order another one and continue to drive this one til the new one comes in. Could they really just be cool with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 07:16 PM   #17
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

Quote:
I have the order form showing I ordered Eucalyptus, and my CA said he ordered it as such. There was a handoff to another CA because mine went on vacation before he could submit the order. The order I got from the other CA I see now has black gloss trim, but I didn't notice it then. I also never signed it. My original CA is huddling with the other CA, apparently his boss, to figure out what to do. I want to know why the second CA didn't just submit the order as given originally to the first CA. But now I don't know how I could just order another one and continue to drive this one til the new one comes in. Could they really just be cool with that?
I don't see a world where they would be "cool" with it. It's a titled vehicle at this point. What they could do, is trade you out of it. Whether or not that is a scenario that benefits you is hard to say. They might also be able to get BMW to give you a special "rebate" for the mistake, as to help mitigate whatever trade difference there might be, in this scenario.

As far as "survey on the line", BMW will send an email survey out after the purchase of a new or CPO BMW. Like all industries these days, it's a pass/fail. If it's less than an 8 out of 10, they fail. If they fail enough, they risk losing a portion of the manufacturer's money.
Appreciate 1
Kromans1174.00
      11-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #18
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dealer called today with a potential solution: they will order a dealer car with the Eucalyptus trim and when it comes in, they'll swap out the trim with mine. That's the plan unless they discover the swap will be too technically involved or expensive. Then at that point they'll have to figure out how to order a new car for us and swap cars entirely.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #19
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

Quote:
Dealer called today with a potential solution: they will order a dealer car with the Eucalyptus trim and when it comes in, they'll swap out the trim with mine. That's the plan unless they discover the swap will be too technically involved or expensive. Then at that point they'll have to figure out how to order a new car for us and swap cars entirely.
That seems reasonable. How do you feel about that arrangement?

Will they provide you a loaner while they do the fix?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #20
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
If they get you a new car and make you wait, be wary of time-sensitive incentives that may expire when that second car gets here. I would demand the circumstances of the deal be kept the same.

If they get you a new car and swap with X1 #1 later on, then make sure BMWFS or your financing bank performs a substitution of collateral. Essentially this is all paperwork to swap the two VIN numbers on your agreements.
Kromans1174.00
      11-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #21
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
That seems reasonable. How do you feel about that arrangement?

Will they provide you a loaner while they do the fix?
I am happy with this solution. I'm happy to have any sort of plan, and to know they aren't going to just leave me hanging.

And I assume so?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #22
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just noticed the mods moved this thread to this section. I'd mentioned the wrong trim in both threads because I thought someone else might have dealt with this problem, that it wasn't specifically an X1 issue. Oh well. Sorry for the now double post, but there's some good info in both if any of you face this problem.
Appreciate 0