BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) finally took a test drive today... is the engine supposed to be this noisy?(U.S. X1)

11-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #1
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

finally took a test drive today... is the engine supposed to be this noisy?(U.S. X1)

I'm very far from the nearest BMW dealer.(almost 2 hours away at 70mph)

This afternoon, I managed to get away and drove to the BMW dealer. They still have just that one Cape York Green X1 sitting on the lot, like the salesperson told me last week. He wasn't there, so another one helped me. She was closing on another car, so she handed me the keyfob and gave me the dealer's gas credit card.(because it was extremely low on gas) I drove to the gas station a couple of miles down the road and pumped some gas in it. Got the receipt and went test driving....

I drove for about 10 miles on the interstate at around 75mph. It was a much quieter ride than I had expected. Even quieter than the Mercedes GLB250 that I testdrove two weeks ago. I got off the interstate to turn around. I saw a mall parking lot, so I pulled in and stopped in the far end with no other cars. I tried the rear seat. It really was as big as people mentioned. I'm 6'2". With the driver's seat in my driving position, I was still plenty comfortable in the seat behind the driver's seat. There was at least 3 inches of empty space above my head.(panorama roof shade closed)

I popped the hood and checked out the engine. That was when I noticed the nonstop tock-tock-tock-tock noise Couldn't really tell where it was coming from, but sounded like somewhere deep inside the engine. I got back inside and revved the engine. The tock-tock-tock-tock got faster. If I closed the windows/doors and the hood, I did not hear it.

With the AC on, there was also an annoying high-pitch metallic grinding sound.. probably from the compressor?

I drove back on a slower highway and I kept the front windows open. (was a nice warm 78-degree day) Below 40mph, I could still hear that noise. Going faster, the noise gets drowned out by the tires and wind noise..

Asked the salesperson when I handed the keyfob back to her. She said it was probably because of the new engine and it would go away.(although, based on my experience with other cars, noises usually get worse after the car/SUV go past the break-in period) I thanked her and left.

Is this normal for the X1's engine? It had 73 miles on the odometer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 01:29 AM   #2
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

Hi Bluecrabby, Nice to know that the ride is quite on the X1.
You mentioned on another post ride was a little stiff, was it with 19"/20" wheels or 18"? Also, was this a M sport X1?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 02:23 AM   #3
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
I'm very far from the nearest BMW dealer.(almost 2 hours away at 70mph)

This afternoon, I managed to get away and drove to the BMW dealer. They still have just that one Cape York Green X1 sitting on the lot, like the salesperson told me last week. He wasn't there, so another one helped me. She was closing on another car, so she handed me the keyfob and gave me the dealer's gas credit card.(because it was extremely low on gas) I drove to the gas station a couple of miles down the road and pumped some gas in it. Got the receipt and went test driving....

I drove for about 10 miles on the interstate at around 75mph. It was a much quieter ride than I had expected. Even quieter than the Mercedes GLB250 that I testdrove two weeks ago. I got off the interstate to turn around. I saw a mall parking lot, so I pulled in and stopped in the far end with no other cars. I tried the rear seat. It really was as big as people mentioned. I'm 6'2". With the driver's seat in my driving position, I was still plenty comfortable in the seat behind the driver's seat. There was at least 3 inches of empty space above my head.(panorama roof shade closed)

I popped the hood and checked out the engine. That was when I noticed the nonstop tock-tock-tock-tock noise Couldn't really tell where it was coming from, but sounded like somewhere deep inside the engine. I got back inside and revved the engine. The tock-tock-tock-tock got faster. If I closed the windows/doors and the hood, I did not hear it.

With the AC on, there was also an annoying high-pitch metallic grinding sound.. probably from the compressor?

I drove back on a slower highway and I kept the front windows open. (was a nice warm 78-degree day) Below 40mph, I could still hear that noise. Going faster, the noise gets drowned out by the tires and wind noise..

Asked the salesperson when I handed the keyfob back to her. She said it was probably because of the new engine and it would go away.(although, based on my experience with other cars, noises usually get worse after the car/SUV go past the break-in period) I thanked her and left.

Is this normal for the X1's engine? It had 73 miles on the odometer.
The noise you describe for the engine sounds similar to the hydraulic lifter noise I've had in my VW, and my E90 had a similar sound (though I'm not sure if it was the lifters in this case) and was told it was normal. Could also maybe be the high pressure fuel injection, my mk7 VW GTI made a similar noise. Screeching noise, I'm not sure, but that doesn't sound normal. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the demo car has seen some abuse and hasn't been properly broken in.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #4
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saws View Post
Hi Bluecrabby, Nice to know that the ride is quite on the X1.
You mentioned on another post ride was a little stiff, was it with 19"/20" wheels or 18"? Also, was this a M sport X1?
+

it had the 18" wheels. no M Sport package. "stiff" was probably not the right word. It was more like "firm yet comfortable enough".... If I was 25 years younger, I would have certainly opted for the 19 or 20-inch wheels... but now that I'm an old geezer, the ride with the 18" wheels are firm enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:04 PM   #5
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Maybe the X1s are set up differently in the US, but, my M Sport on 20s rides perfectly (it does have adaptive suspension). Not harsh at all. I cannot be happier with the way that it rides. The best I can equate it to is my F10 535, and, I think the X1 may ride marginally better. A couple of years ago I had a GLC with air suspension and the X1 definitely rides better than that car.
Appreciate 2
Kromans1174.00
AlexFL7837.00
      11-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #6
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04S View Post
Maybe the X1s are set up differently in the US, but, my M Sport on 20s rides perfectly (it does have adaptive suspension). Not harsh at all. I cannot be happier with the way that it rides. The best I can equate it to is my F10 535, and, I think the X1 may ride marginally better. A couple of years ago I had a GLC with air suspension and the X1 definitely rides better than that car.

since you have the M Sport package with adaptive suspension, can you explain to me how it works on the X1? I've been researching this and the answers are very confusing to me. (did not help that I always end up reading about 2023 330i with adapting suspension but without the adaptive button.... or how the 330i adaptive suspension is no longer on the fly while driving...)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #7
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
since you have the M Sport package with adaptive suspension, can you explain to me how it works on the X1? I've been researching this and the answers are very confusing to me. (did not help that I always end up reading about 2023 330i with adapting suspension but without the adaptive button.... or how the 330i adaptive suspension is no longer on the fly while driving...)

Thanks!
It its anything like the X3 and it probably is the auto adaptive / dynamic element was quietly removed as now confirmed by BMW. If you want the suspension to change then its press a button and change the mode etc. now pretty much it seems.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

This is correct. The new ‘my modes’ button seems to be the only way to adjust the suspension. You choose sport mode in that menu and you have the option to configure throttle response and suspension. As far as I can tell, and bear in mind I am coming from the idrive 7 world where I feel comfortable, there is no separate way to adjust the suspension without also selecting sport mode.

It seems to be completely different from my M4 where everything is separately configurable and adjustable, but I guess that is not a surprise.
Appreciate 0