bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

10-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #1
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Jeep KTM1290 Husq701

UPDATED Replace Kidney Grille Surround-How to?

UPDATE BELOW

Can't seem to find anything re. swapping out the kidney grille surround. Want to replace my "titanium" colored surround with black (on the way from dealer) but no idea how difficult/PITA it will be to get it done.

Did my 335 cpe back in the day and that was a pain, but doable. With the M240i active shutters, anyone have insight/link to how-to remove and replace?
Little nervous that no posts show this being done (nor YouTube). Thanks much-

ps--no "park assist plus" or whatever it's called, so no sensor/camera to deal with.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmelaw; 11-08-2022 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Updated
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 2023 BMW M3CX

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelaw View Post
Can't seem to find anything re. swapping out the kidney grille surround. Want to replace my "titanium" colored surround with black (on the way from dealer) but no idea how difficult/PITA it will be to get it done.

Did my 335 cpe back in the day and that was a pain, but doable. With the M240i active shutters, anyone have insight/link to how-to remove and replace?

ps--no "park assist plus" or whatever it's called, so no sensor/camera to deal with.
Hey there! Did mine a few weeks ago, going from the grey trim to all black. I couldn't find any videos or instructions and ended up just going for it.

First step, make sure you have a auto trim removal kit. Here is an example from Amazon that I bought for under $10: https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Remova...C82&sr=8-2

Next you will need a T30 bit to remove the 2 covers after you remove the weather seal.

After you remove all of that, you will have to disconnect the automatic opener arm for the grille (sorry that I don't know the actual name for it).

Then you can use one of the tools to help pop the clips off of the old one, while using your new one as a guide to where they are. The hardest part was getting the center of it off. I got to this point and was sweating a little bit because it was the last connection and I didn't want to mess anything up. I just grabbed both ends of the grille that were now free of the clips at that time and wiggles up, down, left and right and it came off. Putting the new one on is just taking all your steps and putting them in reverse, which only took a couple minutes.

Once you are done, make sure you push each inch of the weatherstrip back on, if you throw the hood back down and there is a gap, that just means you need to push the weatherstrip down a little better.

I hope all this helps and I will look for pics on my phone now.

Don't hesitate to PM me and questions and I would be willing to be on consult for when you go to do this.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      10-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #3
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatarwj View Post
Quote:

Hey there! Did mine a few weeks ago, going from the grey trim to all black. I couldn't find any videos or instructions and ended up just going for it.

First step, make sure you have a auto trim removal kit. Here is an example from Amazon that I bought for under $10: https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Remova...C82&sr=8-2

Next you will need a T30 bit to remove the 2 covers after you remove the weather seal.

After you remove all of that, you will have to disconnect the automatic opener arm for the grille (sorry that I don't know the actual name for it).

Then you can use one of the tools to help pop the clips off of the old one, while using your new one as a guide to where they are. The hardest part was getting the center of it off. I got to this point and was sweating a little bit because it was the last connection and I didn't want to mess anything up. I just grabbed both ends of the grille that were now free of the clips at that time and wiggles up, down, left and right and it came off. Putting the new one on is just taking all your steps and putting them in reverse, which only took a couple minutes.

Once you are done, make sure you push each inch of the weatherstrip back on, if you throw the hood back down and there is a gap, that just means you need to push the weatherstrip down a little better.

I hope all this helps and I will look for pics on my phone now.

Don't hesitate to PM me and questions and I would be willing to be on consult for when you go to do this.
Here are the pics I took during the procedure:
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      10-27-2022, 02:24 PM   #4
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
I didn't think they posted, trying again:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #5
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry, must have to break it up:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
More:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:28 PM   #7
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
More:
Final pic/comparison:
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
jmelaw32.00
DrJLag420799.00
PP3121357.50
redcars102.00
      10-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #8
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
More:
Final pic/comparison:
I also did the air inlets, let me know if you would like to do that also, took me about 30min to do both.

Ordered everything from Evan at Getbmwparts.com. Extremely helpful, super fast shipping, free is over a certain amount, and quick to respond to any question.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #9
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I also did the air inlets, let me know if you would like to do that also, took me about 30min to do both.

Ordered everything from Evan at Getbmwparts.com. Extremely helpful, super fast shipping, free is over a certain amount, and quick to respond to any question.
AWESOME! Thanks very much---you're a braver man than I, but you've given me confidence to give it a shot.

Was going to give up if it required removal of front bumper (which is what I thought would be required) and just default to plasti-dip black on that trim.

Probably going to do mirror caps-if they're ever back in stock-and leave the lowers grey/titanium. But, seeing yours, thinking all black may be the way to go. Looks great.
Cheers-
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #10
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Exclamation Update re. Grille Surround Process - (Spoiler Alert: PITA!)

Quote:
AWESOME! Thanks very much---you're a braver man than I, but you've given me confidence to give it a shot.
-
UPDATE:
First try: Following the above general directions (thank you--but there's a LOT more detail/steps involved than pictured including removing big pieces of front end/grill supports and 20+ torx screws/clips/retainers), got about 1/3 of the way there and gave up. Bonus points for me dropping two trim tools down into the radiator valley of death and darkness.

Waaay too difficult to see what you're doing, where (and which way) the clips are and what should be "released" in order to get the grille out. Dark in there too. Unless you are very familiar with how trim pieces are generally attached, I say don't go there! Brand new paint waiting to be scratched just adds to the fun.

Second try: I corral my buddy (25 year Porsche Gold-level tech who REALLY knows his sheet) into giving it a shot. STILL a giant PITA--even with additional step of releasing grille shutter motor/controls from grill. ALMOST broke the grille in half while trying to get it to release from the center section. Those tabs--and there are a ton of them--are VERY hard to release. And, you can't see them.

Much sweating and disconcerting noises later (tabs releasing sound like plastic breaking), we (he) got it done without damage. Did take 2 of us--and one of us with a lot of knowledge about how to take German cars apart. No Fing way I would have gotten it done myself.

Hoping this helps anyone thinking about giving it a shot. On the plus side, I now have an extra grille whose grey/titanium section can be painted black and installed to look just as good as mine now does (it does look soooo much better). Anyone want a grille at 1/2 the cost of a new one?
Good luck-
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      11-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #11
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
UPDATE:
First try: Following the above general directions (thank you--but there's a LOT more detail/steps involved than pictured including removing big pieces of front end/grill supports and 20+ torx screws/clips/retainers), got about 1/3 of the way there and gave up. Bonus points for me dropping two trim tools down into the radiator valley of death and darkness.

Waaay too difficult to see what you're doing, where (and which way) the clips are and what should be "released" in order to get the grille out. Dark in there too. Unless you are very familiar with how trim pieces are generally attached, I say don't go there! Brand new paint waiting to be scratched just adds to the fun.

Second try: I corral my buddy (25 year Porsche Gold-level tech who REALLY knows his sheet) into giving it a shot. STILL a giant PITA--even with additional step of releasing grille shutter motor/controls from grill. ALMOST broke the grille in half while trying to get it to release from the center section. Those tabs--and there are a ton of them--are VERY hard to release. And, you can't see them.

Much sweating and disconcerting noises later (tabs releasing sound like plastic breaking), we (he) got it done without damage. Did take 2 of us--and one of us with a lot of knowledge about how to take German cars apart. No Fing way I would have gotten it done myself.

Hoping this helps anyone thinking about giving it a shot. On the plus side, I now have an extra grille whose grey/titanium section can be painted black and installed to look just as good as mine now does (it does look soooo much better). Anyone want a grille at 1/2 the cost of a new one?
Good luck-
BMW tech manual has the entire bumper removed to release the clips. Based on your experience, which would you do if it was your 1st time?
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      11-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #12
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Would I?

If you're asking me (Mr. Lawyer-turned-BMW-Grille-Replacer-Screwerupper), I might not. It is more difficult than my old E92 335 and 135--but doable.

That said, second poster that listed instructions seems to have done it, so maybe it's just me.... Good luck! (want a grill to paint and install?)

Last edited by jmelaw; 02-06-2023 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: edits
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 01:54 PM   #13
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

Quote:
More:
Does this piece just lift up after you remove the bolts to expose that front area behind the kidneys?

I flipped the aluminum cooling shroud to carbon fiber the other day and was checking it out nd wasn't sure

Thanks
Attached Images

'22 M240i BSM, Shadowline, Black 791M wheels, Red Calipers, ///M Carbon Front Lip, ///M Carbon Spoiler, ///MCarbon Door Sills, Milltek Catback w/Black Tips, Dinan Carbon Intake/Engine Cover, AA Catted DP, Dalher Valve Controller, OEM+ Strut Bar, Red Start/Stop, Floating center caps, TLG Mud Flaps, Black Badges, Led Projectors, 50th Emblems, Carbon Diffuser/Mirrors w/smoke signals/Side Wings/Cooling Shroud/KIES fire extinguisher, Yellow DRL
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 04:32 PM   #14
Connor22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i Xdrive

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:

Hey man! Any tips of replacing the air inlets??
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 05:03 PM   #15
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudumonkey25 View Post
Does this piece just lift up after you remove the bolts to expose that front area behind the kidneys?

I flipped the aluminum cooling shroud to carbon fiber the other day and was checking it out nd wasn't sure

Thanks
From what I remember, after I removed the bolts everything just easily lifted out. I placed the screws and pieces in sequence on the shelf of my tool box to ensure I put it back correctly, and did it have any extra screws/bolts left for when I put back together lol! The only tricky part is that the M240 has the grille that opens. So it is one big piece instead of two clipped in kidneys, with a little arm behind the middle that connects to help open them. That part was easy just to pull back towards the engine and couple inches to give you room to work. Getting back to the tricky part, in the back middle of the grille, there is a circle opening that acts as a clip to hold in place. It was really easy (depending on the size of your hands) to pop off all the clips on the sides, but once I popped all the clips off, removed the arm that opens the grille, what is left is that circle clip. I grabbed each side of the grille and wiggled it back and forth with a decent amount of tension towards me and boom, it was off. Putting it back together was a breeze with the organization and you basically just push that arm piece back on that opens the grilles. I tested it as soon as I put that arm back on to ensure it opened and it did.
I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 05:13 PM   #16
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor22 View Post
Hey man! Any tips of replacing the air inlets??
For sure! Study you new ones for clip placement. I initially took most of a wheel well off and noticed there is zero chance to change from the inside, at least as a DIY.

Take note of each clip, use a set of auto trim tools to pop each clip from the front. When you pull back the air inlet with your fingers bear a clip, you can get an auto trim tool wedged in there, put a thin piece of rag or something like that to crest a barrier from the back of your trim tool and the front bumper cover of your car. From there, just put the tool in as far as it can go and rock it back towards your bumper cover and the clip will pop out. There are 2 clips at the inner corner of the air inlet, I did those last. If you still have the stock lip, you will most likely get some of the weather stripping/adhesive tape on it as that bottom corner connect to the lip.

It really doesn’t take long and you do need a little elbow grease when wedging the tool to get the clips but they will come out.

I have recently replaced my stock wing for a gloss black VP style. I know auto id has mentioned they have one in the works, but I ordered it on Ali Express. It took about 7 weeks to come from China to Pittsburgh, but was packed extremely well!

Last weekend I did the mirror caps and posted some tips on the post with Auto IDs video, which was very helpful!

Please let me know if you need any clarification or questions to do the others!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 08:23 PM   #17
Connor22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
For sure! Study you new ones for clip placement. I initially took most of a wheel well off and noticed there is zero chance to change from the inside, at least as a DIY.

Take note of each clip, use a set of auto trim tools to pop each clip from the front. When you pull back the air inlet with your fingers bear a clip, you can get an auto trim tool wedged in there, put a thin piece of rag or something like that to crest a barrier from the back of your trim tool and the front bumper cover of your car. From there, just put the tool in as far as it can go and rock it back towards your bumper cover and the clip will pop out. There are 2 clips at the inner corner of the air inlet, I did those last. If you still have the stock lip, you will most likely get some of the weather stripping/adhesive tape on it as that bottom corner connect to the lip.

It really doesn’t take long and you do need a little elbow grease when wedging the tool to get the clips but they will come out.

I have recently replaced my stock wing for a gloss black VP style. I know auto id has mentioned they have one in the works, but I ordered it on Ali Express. It took about 7 weeks to come from China to Pittsburgh, but was packed extremely well!

Last weekend I did the mirror caps and posted some tips on the post with Auto IDs video, which was very helpful!

Please let me know if you need any clarification or questions to do the others!
Hey man! Thanks a ton!! When you pop off the air intake piece does the parking sensor stay??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 08:13 AM   #18
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
There wasn’t any parking sensors, but there was the fog light. It was an easy clip off of the old ones and clip on.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #19
Connor22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
There wasn’t any parking sensors, but there was the fog light. It was an easy clip off of the old ones and clip on.
Thanks man you’re the best!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 03:35 PM   #20
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Our cars have fog lights??
      01-07-2023, 07:28 PM   #21
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
That’s what I thought it was when I unclipped it - maybe in wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:32 PM   #22
Connor22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Well I did it. My spirit is crushed and my knuckles are bloody but I pulled it off. Huge thanks for the guide I would not have been able to do it without you. Looks way better now!

For anyone thinking of doing this, you can do it. You will want to quit, but if you are patient, careful, and follow this guide you can do it. The biggest pain of all of this was the final large clip directly in the middle of the grill. Almost impossible to release it as it is so large. Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tatarwj378.00