Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums USA - California CA electric rates for EVs

10-22-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

CA electric rates for EVs

Just curious what everyone has come up with for rates. Electricity is notoriously high in California.

However, I just finished working out a pretty comprehensive spreadsheet, and figured out that my 330e will cost me about $0.125/kWh.

(I'm on SDGE, and I compared my current TOU-DR-P plan with the EV-TOU-2 and EV-TOU-5 plans).

I took the last 25 months worth of usage data, segmented by Peak, Off-Peak, and Super-Off Peak. I then added in a column for the car; guessing that we'll charge it 200 kWh each month (This comes from a very rough projection that we will drive 22 miles or more on 15-20 days each month, and that we'll only charge it during super off-peak hours. We'll charge it fully on weekends, and probably only 80% on weekdays, since the super off-peak hours are only midnight to 6. Anyway---I'm guessing that we'll put 200 kWh in the car each month.)

I then grabbed the current rate schedule for the three plans, and applied it month-by-month to our last 25 months worth of usage.

Then I figured out which plan would be cheapest for us (turns out it would be EV-TOU-5, which has the lowest rates (as low as .09/kWh but a $16/mo flat fee). I then I took the total 25 month cost of EV-TOU-5 and subtracted out what we would have paid without a car on TOU-DR-P.

Turns out the car will cost about $600 over the 25 months, or 5000 kWh. Or about $0.12/kWh for the car. If we charge less than my 200 kWh/mo, then the cost for kWh will go up a bit... if we charge more than my 200 kWh/mo, then it will go down a bit.

(Of course, SDGE has announced that rates will go up in January... so there's that.)

Anyone else figure out what your car charging actually costs?
Appreciate 0