BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

10-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Jeep KTM1290 Husq701

Good (not) vibrations in steering wheel?

Anyone have a vibe in steering wheel (like the lane departure vibe, but subdued) for about the first 10-15 mins of driving? Not quite enough to be really annoying, but I've noticed it over the past 4 months. Seems to vibe the wheel for 10+/- minutes, then go away. Like, jump on highway, it's there.....go about my business.....and return trip, it's gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelaw View Post
Anyone have a vibe in steering wheel (like the lane departure vibe, but subdued) for about the first 10-15 mins of driving? Not quite enough to be really annoying, but I've noticed it over the past 4 months. Seems to vibe the wheel for 10+/- minutes, then go away. Like, jump on highway, it's there.....go about my business.....and return trip, it's gone.
Yes. Mine does this. About to 10 min on the highway going 80. Goes away. This tends to happen after I've let the car sit for a while (several days). I thought it might the crappy RFTs I have. Not a big deal but it's noticeable.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      10-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #3
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Jeep KTM1290 Husq701

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Yes. Mine does this. About to 10 min on the highway going 80. Goes away. This tends to happen after I've let the car sit for a while (several days). I thought it might the crappy RFTs I have. Not a big deal but it's noticeable.
Well, there's 2 of us. Thanks. Non-RFTs on mine, so not tires. Exactly the same--more noticeable after its been sitting. Adding it to the list.... (stupid trunk rattle)
Appreciate 1
DrJLag420799.00
      10-20-2022, 07:54 AM   #4
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelaw View Post
Happened this morning. Paid more attention this time to it. Highway is about 2 miles from my house. Get on ramp to Highway accelerate to about 85 mph. Vibration is there through the steering wheel. Kinda like the vibration from lane assist dealies but the whole steering wheel and a faster vibration. After a couple of miles at 80 mph the vibration is gone. Smooth sailing.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      10-20-2022, 12:13 PM   #5
Roadwar
Old Grumpy Guy
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive

It's the tires. Tires that contain Nylon belts in their construction "take a set" with a small flat spot where the tires contact the ground as they cool off. When they warm up as you drive the spot evens out. It's no big deal....just a characteristic of the Nylon. It used to be much more noticeable when tires had only Nylon belts and were not radials (bias belted).

gone: beloved '74 Mazda RX-3, various V8 Camaros and V8 Mustangs, various other Mazdas including a '10 Mazdaspeed 3, several late model Dodge Chargers including a 6.4 liter R/T. There were others along the way but I didn't love them much.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      10-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #6
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

yes, within 3 blocks of where i live is a new super smooth stretch of pavement that gives me a weird vibration like feeling, only notice it when i leave the house after the car has been sitting for a while, i assume it's tire set. (Summer performance tires)
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00