bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

10-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #1
Ajax30za
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

Icon rocklear instead of PPF/ceramic?

As the title suggests, has anyone used the product from icon rocklear instead of doing a PPF coat?

Don't know much about the Icon brand but they seem to self promote themselves and claim it's newer tech etc.

I am getting my car in 2-3 weeks so just trying to plan ahead so long .
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #2
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax30za View Post
As the title suggests, has anyone used the product from icon rocklear instead of doing a PPF coat?

Don't know much about the Icon brand but they seem to self promote themselves and claim it's newer tech etc.

I am getting my car in 2-3 weeks so just trying to plan ahead so long .
Looks like it is some type of PTFE coating. Not sure about exact chemistry. They show a generic structure and call it 'Toughlon'. So I assume they found a way to make a solution that is a Teflon-type chemistry that is clear after application. I have ceramic (SiO2) and PPF (Polyurethane).

I say do your research and see how they compare. Based on what I read, Toughlon looks promising. I would compare it to a more robust ceramic as it appears to be a solution thats applied to the clear coat rather than a film like PPF.

Also, they seemed to be pushing used vehicles with scratches and imperfections. This would hide those. PPF does this to an extent (swirls/light scratches). Good luck with your decision to protect your brand new baby!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 05:17 PM   #3
Ajax30za
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

Thanks. I tried looking for some reviews of their product but didn't find too much so far. Will do a bit more digging tomorrow when I am not working.
Appreciate 0