BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

10-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Newbie here.... couple questions.

So I've settled on a set of VMR 801s for my ZTK 240. The sales consultant with whom I've been corresponding told me that I'll need to use 10mm spacers on the front axel for a proper fit since the 8.5" in the model I want is offered in ET35 or ET45, and not the stock ET25. Presumably, no spacers will be needed on the rear as he didn't mention it in his email.

I've got the impression that a lot of people don't like making use of spacers. Can anyone give me a good reason why?

Also... the new wheels are designated to be my summer set. I'm going to put snows on my current stock wheels and I really hate to do so. The 893M wheels are pretty wide open and will invite a lot of snow and ice in to compromise wheel balance. They DON'T make for good snow wheels and that's just the part of it. The other thing that bugs me is that it's just somehow wrong. I can't really explain it. I'm wondering if there's much of a demand for them on the secondary market?

One last thing: does anyone have any experience with VMR?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
1stnten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

I think spacers mess with the geometry of the car slightly. Most cases you will be fine but if anything breaks it could give BMW something to point to.

I’m in the same offset situation as you. I have some winter wheels from my GTI that are 18x8 ET45 and would like to use them on my M240i but have no idea how to confirm they will fit without putting them on the car. From my research, I think a different offset is fine as long as you’re not rubbing against anything. We are talking about millimeters, it shouldn’t make a difference in driving dynamics. Mostly just the rubbing on brakes or suspension is a concern. I’m also a newbie though so anyone please feel free to correct me.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashue View Post
So I've settled on a set of VMR 801s for my ZTK 240. The sales consultant with whom I've been corresponding told me that I'll need to use 10mm spacers on the front axel for a proper fit since the 8.5" in the model I want is offered in ET35 or ET45, and not the stock ET25. Presumably, no spacers will be needed on the rear as he didn't mention it in his email.

I've got the impression that a lot of people don't like making use of spacers. Can anyone give me a good reason why?

Also... the new wheels are designated to be my summer set. I'm going to put snows on my current stock wheels and I really hate to do so. The 893M wheels are pretty wide open and will invite a lot of snow and ice in to compromise wheel balance. They DON'T make for good snow wheels and that's just the part of it. The other thing that bugs me is that it's just somehow wrong. I can't really explain it. I'm wondering if there's much of a demand for them on the secondary market?

I'll leave your VMR question for someone else, but spacers can cause issues in some cases. Generally, they are fine to use, but if the spacer completely covers the OE hub ring that extends from the hub through your brake rotor, spacers can cause vibrations and lead to premature wheel hardware failure. It's only spacers of certain widths that can cause this and if the spacer is thick enough you can incorporate a hub-centric ring into its design.

The other aspect of spacers is the extended hardware. Certain brands are more lenient, but we recommend running extended hardware with any width of spacer you use to ensure you maintain a proper amount of thread engagement with bolts or stud conversions.

I'm not trying to scare you away from spacers. We have a M2 CS racing from BMW motorsport with absolutely massive factory-equipped front spacers to allow it to run a square setup in our shop currently so they can work quite well. You'll just need to select them carefully and make sure they're hubcentric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnten View Post
I think spacers mess with the geometry of the car slightly. Most cases you will be fine but if anything breaks it could give BMW something to point to.

I’m in the same offset situation as you. I have some winter wheels from my GTI that are 18x8 ET45 and would like to use them on my M240i but have no idea how to confirm they will fit without putting them on the car. From my research, I think a different offset is fine as long as you’re not rubbing against anything. We are talking about millimeters, it shouldn’t make a difference in driving dynamics. Mostly just the rubbing on brakes or suspension is a concern. I’m also a newbie though so anyone please feel free to correct me.
If you're using spacers to push aftermarket wheels with higher offset back to the same offset as OE wheels would be and the wheels are the same width, the geometry isn't changing. If you're using spacers to push OE wheels out for a flush look or a more aggressive fitment then that changes the geometry and can put more strain on the wheel bearings, but generally these changes are so minor that most don't notice.

-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 10-04-2022 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jashue190.50
      10-10-2022, 08:31 PM   #4
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Had em on my previous car (GTI) really liked em, no complaints. Bought em based on the style and hated the OEM style.
Appreciate 0