Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2018 BMW  [10.00]
Exclamation MY23 Order Help

Sup y'all,

Just placed an order for an M240i after falling in love with the F22 M235i some years back.

Luckily this time I work at a BMW store so I have a good bit of leeway on the concern I'm going to mention below.

I've driven on A/S tires all my life as I never had a car to warranty RFT's (I always had a spare), and in my order I put A/S RFT's just as something to place in the order. I kind of always had my mind on the Perf RFT's, but not going full Perf non-RFT's. Because it feels like a good halfway between both worlds. But I don't have interest or much interest I should say to put winters constantly and switch back. Winters where I am in downstate NY aren't always brutal but it does get below 40 degrees at times in the cold months.

I won't be tracking the car, or pushing it on the street that hard. Maybe 7 or 8 tenths on the backroads. PS I heard that going Perf tires in any regard to RFT or not, it does two things. One being a higher top speed (although I heard that the Cooling and HPTP will give it), and a staggered setup versus squared. I like the notion or direction of going staggered versus square and having a more performance oriented tire at the cost of less traction in winter months. I'm torn, I asked everyone I know, its still fuzzy.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #2
m_g42bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Personally I had the AS rft they are very stiff!if you miss avoiding a pothole you will bend your rim bubble the tire, I just switch all 4 out for PS4 and went up to 235 instead of 225 that came stock and it's night and day difference
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
klassykleen
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [10.00]
Do you have some kind of wheel and tire protection?

What difference/s did you feel by going to PS4's? Are they still RFT/s?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 12:59 AM   #4
m_g42bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassykleen View Post
Do you have some kind of wheel and tire protection?

What difference/s did you feel by going to PS4's? Are they still RFT/s?
The Michelin's definitely give a lot more cushiness instead of the stiffness that the RFT gave. No I did not go with runflat tires and I did take a tire protection plan and cosmetic wheel protection plan. Another good quality about the Michelin's they are a lot more forgiving on terrible roads
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #5
1stnten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

I had the same debate with myself. I’ve never had a set of RFT tires before, and after reading some feedback online it seems like most hate them. I’m sure they aren’t that bad but I’d rather stick with what I know. RFT tires wont get you far on a flat anyways, just call AAA.

I was more concerned with going staggered and not being able to do rotations. Got over it though, as you can’t option non RFT all seasons. I do have non-staggered winter wheels I’ll be passing down from my GTI, so tire wear will be slower anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

I’ve had them both and the run flats have given me way more problems than regular tires.

The problem with the RFTs is that while you can drive on them if you pick up a nail or something if you damage the sidewalls they don’t help you at all. And they’re so stiff that it’s very easy to damage the sidewalls. One big pothole and you’re screwed.

So you’re making it easier to get damage you can’t fix (sidewall), while helping you with something you can easily patch with a can of fix-a-flat. And messing up the ride while you’re at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:32 PM   #7
klassykleen
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [10.00]
So since I'm going a wheel and tire protection anyways, should I just go Perf non-RFT's and send it? Is it that much better? Yes I'll have roadside so I understand that point of "who cares, enjoy 364 days for 1 day of misery trade-off"
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
klassykleen
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW  [10.00]
Update: my car is now status 111 so I have my last moments to make that change. Final verdict is that I go perf non-rft's and deal with winter for now. or stick with A/S rft's and suffer 363 days of the year
Appreciate 0