bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

09-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

If You Could Choose Only One ... PPF or Ceramic Coat ?

Hello extended family.

Trying to decide which one: PPF or Ceramic?

I know they are very different products. I was leaning towards CC because I did not want to wrap the car for fear of damaging the paint when it is removed. I have no experience with either of these products/services, so I need some guidance. I cannot justify the cost of doing both.

I want the car to look as beautiful as possible for as long as possible. Additionally, living in 4-seasons area. Mostly worried about winter and not having the ability to clean as often as in the summer.

What did you choose and why, or what will you choose and why?

I wanted to add a survey component, but I do not know how to do that!
Appreciate 1
bobkat09151.50
      09-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

PPF is the easy answer
Appreciate 3
TJZ67201842.50
      09-19-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Ceramic doesn't protect the paint like PPF does, so if you want protection get PPF, if you want easy cleaning and a nice finish, go ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP3121 View Post
Hello extended family.

I know they are very different products. I was leaning towards CC because I did not want to wrap the car for fear of damaging the paint when it is removed. I have no experience with either of these products/services, so I need some guidance. I cannot justify the cost of doing both.

I want the car to look as beautiful as possible for as long as possible. Additionally, living in 4-seasons area. Mostly worried about winter and not having the ability to clean as often as in the summer.

PPF. Xpel ultimate plus has 10-yr warranty. I have seen PPF removed for replacement and the protection it provides. It's almost like magic how defect free the surface is after removal. If the removal is done correctly it will not damage the paint. The film is actually slowly pulled up from an edge then with a heat gun the film is pulled and stretched back to remove. I've attached a pic.

If your worried about seams/lines around the edges be prepared for an expensive job. A really good PPF wrap will not be cheap. In fact, sometimes the lights and bumpers are taken off. And even the door handles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
PP3121357.50
TJZ67201842.50
      09-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
IMHO - Ceramic
$150 DIY vs $2-6k (crazy might as well not drive the car)
A good post I just read from the X7 guys https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      09-19-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
matty1013
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Quote:
Hello extended family.

PPF. Xpel ultimate plus has 10-yr warranty. I have seen PPF removed for replacement and the protection it provides. It's almost like magic how defect free the surface is after removal. If the removal is done correctly it will not damage the paint. The film is actually slowly pulled up from an edge then with a heat gun the film is pulled and stretched back to remove. I've attached a pic.

If your worried about seams/lines around the edges be prepared for an expensive job. A really good PPF wrap will not be cheap. In fact, sometimes the lights and bumpers are taken off. And even the door handles.
Dealer just suggested resistal graphene. Anyone know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

It all depends on your budget, how long you intend to keep the car, and how much protection you want.

Ceramic / graphene coatings only protect against UV rays, bird bombs, minor swirling.

PPF protects against all of the above PLUS minimizing rock chips, larger deeper scratches, etc.

If you really care for your car, I would recommend at least a full frontal PPF, PLUS ceramic coating on the rest of the painted surfaces. You can expect to pay at least $2k for a full frontal if done right.
Appreciate 2
DrJLag420799.00
PP3121357.50
      09-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #8
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

At least $2k up front, then possibly removal\replacement after 2-3 years, at least the front bumper. Jagged PPF doesn't look all that great, granted, paint chips don't either.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 04:51 PM   #9
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

I am opting for ceramic coating as my car won’t be a daily driver. I may get the front end done, but based on my daily drivers of past, I never really ever had my front end or mirrors beat up by road rash.
I checked on Chicago Auto Pros site and partial front is $1000, full front and mirrors $2300 and full car $8900. Theses are all starting at prices. I can get a lot of repainted front ends for that much.
DrJLag420799.00
PP3121357.50
      09-19-2022, 04:54 PM   #10
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
It all depends on your budget, how long you intend to keep the car, and how much protection you want.

Ceramic / graphene coatings only protect against UV rays, bird bombs, minor swirling.

PPF protects against all of the above PLUS minimizing rock chips, larger deeper scratches, etc.

If you really care for your car, I would recommend at least a full frontal PPF, PLUS ceramic coating on the rest of the painted surfaces. You can expect to pay at least $2k for a full frontal if done right.
I did full front, mirrors, rockers and full rear bumper on the M240. Then ceramic over the whole car. Looks good. But I'm extra careful on the ceramic only parts when I wash or detail because it doesn't provide much protection against swirls although I do think it helps due to the slickness and ease of contamination removal. The PPF is almost invincible. I do enjoy the rinseless washes from Xpel and Griot's (still use a two bucket method but no need for a hose).

Wifey's new Golf R has the works. Full PPF and ceramic coating on whole car and ceramic coating on the glass, wheels, and calipers. Super easy to clean and paint always looks great. Brake dust just rinses off wheels/caliper with water. Bugs come off the bumper/hood easy. I've gone to town on some bugs on the front bumper that has been a little tougher to remove and even some baked on bird bombs. I introduced some scratches and the bird bomb left what I would call 'etching'. However, this wasn't a regular clear coat I was used to in the past. (Usually I would have to use clay and/or compound/polish with an orbital then reapply wax and sometimes if I got to the bird bomb too late, especially in the heat of summer, I could always see the etching at the right angle/light). The next day the PPF was flawless. I was simply amazed. As if the bird bomb never hit the car. Never really 'baked in'.

The cost of entry is high for these types of products and quality can vary greatly. Usually the quality is related to cost but I've seen lots of different pricing. Pays to shop around. Go visit the detail shop. Look around at their work. Talk the the folks applying the film. If you see something on a car you don't like. Mention it and see how they explain. Perhaps you can pay a little more to have it done without seams/lines.

I still enjoy detailing/correcting/waxing some of my 'naked' cars but for the ultimate protection, especially if the car is exposed to harsh environments on a regular basis/daily driver/highway driving, I think the cost is well worth the peace of mind. That is, if you keep your cars for a while and perfection is your bag.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty passionate about detailing my cars and I am blown away by advances in PPF and Ceramic Coatings for car protection.
Appreciate 3
PP3121357.50
Vaticous134.00
Kay.Say15.00
      09-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #11
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

I was considering both. Had an appointment setup. Frontal ppf wouldve been $2k, full ceramic $1600-1700. I decided doing neither. My car is currently in a garage at my apt complex, and when I buy a house in the next 2 years it will have a garage. For the first time ever (well I'm only in my late 20s) I did a self service carwash, and honestly really enjoyed it. Instead of spending $2-4k up front, I figured I'd rather spend $250-300 per year on frequent car washes, and then if my bumper does get messed up, I'll do a respray and blend in the next few years for $600 or so.

If I had a Porsche or M5 CS with a custom/individual paint, I'd prob have done one or both, but BG looks just fine when it's a little dirty, and it won't be super difficult to get a respray if needed in a few years
Appreciate 1
Golddog566.50
      09-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #12
Rw-M240
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hello extended family.

I got both done just because i had to On this nice of paint. But honestly the ppf is the clear choice if I was gonna do one. The cermic Coating doesn't really protect from anything besides swirl marks.
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      09-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #13
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Just did a quick detail on the front (PPF with ceramic coating) with Xpel detail spray and a nice Griot's high loft microfiber. Took a couple minutes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-20-2022, 08:23 PM   #14
Madeley Wolf
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
2022 BMW M240  [10.00]
M240

i am going the ceramic coating route
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      10-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #15
dvkg42
Rep
Drives: 2022 Acura MDX & 2023 M240i

Quote:
Hello extended family.

I’m getting a highway PPF (half car) and a full ceramic coating. PPF for full car is really expensive so I chose to protect the portions that are most likely to get hit by debris. I also got a fun paint color so wanted to protect that with ceramic coating so did the whole car. Keep in mind you can’t use an automatic car wash you gotta go touch less or hand wash for car washes if you want ceramic so you gotta factor in those costs and time commitment as well. Some states have laws about washing your car in your driveway, has to be on lawn or something that absorbs the water and soap so another thing to consider if you have tight space.
Appreciate 2
PP3121357.50
eli37134.50
      10-08-2022, 07:02 PM   #16
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've been on the fence and finally decided to go for it. I bought my 240 and plan to keep it for 5-6 years and want to keep it as flawless as possible. Going to do hood and front bumper only, and ceramic/graphene everything. Waiting on a quote from my buddy who owns a shop.
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      10-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #17
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

If you don't mind a few questions...

How much to do just the front bumper and hood?
What type of PPF did you go with?
Will they do a paint correction on it beforehand??

I was wondering if on a freshly delivered car if paint correction would really be needed if one was going to go with Satin PPF. Then it would be cheaper without the paint correction.

Congrats and would like to see some pics of the car PPF'd.

Oh, also, did you consider getting the gloss black parts PPF'd? Those will be the ones that look ugly with swirls in the future if not protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I've been on the fence and finally decided to go for it. I bought my 240 and plan to keep it for 5-6 years and want to keep it as flawless as possible. Going to do hood and front bumper only, and ceramic/graphene everything. Waiting on a quote from my buddy who owns a shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #18
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

Those are questions for each particular shop you get a quote from
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      10-12-2022, 11:01 PM   #19
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

PPF on the front bumper and headlights for sure and I would skip ceramic. PPF will actually stop rock chips while ceramic only protects from micro swirls during regular washes. I had $1500 ceramic pro + on my previous car and I wouldn’t do it again.

Now there is different between professionally applied ceramic which can cost $1-2k vs your standard $60-150 DIY ceramic kit. The pro ones are baked on with UV light and act as a second clearcoat that should last 5-10 years. I had this done on my car and I still get bird bomb etching, water spots and microswirls. Not as bad as if my car didn’t have it but they still developed after a few months. The DIY kits aren’t as durable and don’t last nearly as long, maybe 2-3 years max but for the low price I’d say it’s work it.
Appreciate 1
PP3121357.50
      10-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #20
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
They're going to just look like the car.
Appreciate 1
DrJLag420799.00
      10-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #21
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
      10-13-2022, 10:16 PM   #22
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
Sure but I’d Ike to see if maybe there is a much deeper gloss or wet look?? Or look plastic? Or look different and noticeable compared to the parts not PPF’d if you don’t go with full coverage?

Sorry I am new to this. Too much to ask?
Appreciate 0