BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
BMW UDE Experience From Joliet, IL 8-26-22

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Firstly - apologies for the lackluster pictures... didn't have too many opportunities to take pics so this is the best I could do.

Interestingly, this event wasn't advertised on BMW UDE's page. On their page the event in Chicagoland that WAS advertised was the one at NOW Arena in Schaumburg, which features the i4 m50 auto cross and some street drives. The event in Joliet on the other hand, aside from featuring those two activities, gave us an extra treat of some lead/follow track time in an M3/M4/M8.

First was a 30 minute classroom session - the instructor was excellent, very enthusiastic. He actually works at the SC performance center.
Name:  classroom.jpg
Views: 3843
Size:  194.8 KB

Our group went towards the i4 autocross session first. I've test driven the i4 at a dealer before so I was somewhat familiar with what it can do. It's an impressive car - but I'm still having trouble getting over the EV side of it. It's so fast but so unengaged. The sounds they have pumped in do help, but you still feel as though you're hovering through the course rather than driving it. It's an odd sensation and just not as much fun without the sound, gear shifts, vibrations that go along with an ICE car. Watching from the tent was just sad - imagine golf carts going around a set of cones. Hilariously, anytime an ICE car flew by around the adjacent track, EVERYONE turned their heads (including the instructors) as that was much more interesting than what was going on with the autocross.

That being said if I HAD to pick an EV "sports" sedan, I'd pick this over a model 3 any day of the week. Like I mentioned above, the sounds BMW has incorporated DO help some with the engagement issue (at least way more than the model 3). Build quality is far superior and the interior is very attractive. Unpopular opinion but I think iDrive 8 looks awesome and the curved screen, while could be better integrated, does not look bad at all from behind the wheel.
Name:  i4 drive.jpg
Views: 3438
Size:  435.7 KB

Now for the main event - track time in an M3/M4/M8. It was first come first serve once you got your helmet on, so I rushed to the M3 as fast as I could. This was my first time driving it on a track and WOW what a freaking machine. The cornering ability was insane, the lateral Gs were eye popping, and getting the rear end to kick out a little even with TCS on was a pleasure. The car is SO far superior to my m340i in every conceivable way... especially the cornering ability... it's really a head scratcher that people still debate if "m performance" cars are considered M cars. (Take it from an m340i owner.... it's no M car).

Beyond that, the tartufo interior was beautiful, and I'm so glad I have it optioned. The comfort seats were up to the task for track duty... with decent amount of bolstering but also being extremely comfortable. I have driven a G80 with the CB seats before, and while they keep you in place better, I'd get them more for the look than their bolstering.

The 8spd auto comes alive on the track. So much so that the guy sitting with me who tracks his mini on a monthly basis thought it was a DCT. I have noticed instances on the road where it hunts for gears a bit... but WOT on the track, the 8spd auto is a gem. Despite that, I'm still glad I have a 6MT on order... especially since I won't be tracking.
Name:  m3-1.jpg
Views: 3413
Size:  308.8 KB
Name:  m3-2.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  312.9 KB
Name:  m3-3.jpg
Views: 3383
Size:  394.9 KB

Finally the street drives. They didn't have a huge selection avaialble... the i4 m50, the iX 50, m550, m440, X5 m50 and x7 m50 (pre LCI). I chose to check out the iX since that's the only one I hadn't driven yet. This is where I feel EVs shine - as a family SUV. It's quick so it's not bad to drive, and it's silent and comfortable. The interior was pretty with great materials, and it was just an overall very relaxing drive. Especially after the adrenaline rush of thrashing the G80 on the track If BMW made a similar 3 row EV SUV, I'd strongly consider that.
Name:  iX.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  377.2 KB

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 18
Sopiarz3109.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
2011ninja3328.50
T0RM3NT3553.50
Germanauto9665.50
vj1233784.00
StanDiego6160.50
Keishune172.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
Mani5913320.00
2srsman68.00
BrockDM2036.00
      08-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
The event in Joliet on the other hand, aside from featuring those two activities, gave us an extra treat of some lead/follow track time in an M3/M4/M8.
Wait, this was still a free UDE event that also incorporated track time in M cars? I've been to several UDE's and have never seen that; normally you need to pony up for one of the M schools for that perk.

Quote:
Our group went towards the i4 autocross session first. I've test driven the i4 at a dealer before so I was somewhat familiar with what it can do. It's an impressive car - but I'm still having trouble getting over the EV side of it. It's so fast but so unengaged.
I had a similar reaction. Impressive, smooth, fast, and pretty nimble for a 2.5 ton car -- especially with the 20" wheels/performance tires; much better than the 19's -- but it's no M.

Quote:
The 8spd auto comes alive on the track. So much so that the guy sitting with me who tracks his mini on a monthly basis thought it was a DCT. I have noticed instances on the road where it hunts for gears a bit... but WOT on the track, the 8spd auto is a gem. Despite that, I'm still glad I have a 6MT on order... especially since I won't be tracking..
I actually was a little less impressed with the 8AT on the track. Shifts are quick and crisp, but during tricky transitions it was sometimes slow to downshift. (I recall Randy Pobst made some similar remarks, though he loved the chassis otherwise.) I had my hands full with steering and thinking about other aspects of the track, but if I were tracking an M3C regularly, I'd probably go for full manual mode with the paddles. Like you, though, I oped to #savethemanuals

Thanks for sharing.
      08-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Wait, this was still a free UDE event that also incorporated track time in M cars? I've been to several UDE's and have never seen that; normally you need to pony up for one of the M schools for that perk.
That's probably why they didn't advertise it on the main UDE page I was shocked as well as I've NEVER gotten this opportunity to drive M cars at a UDE, much less at the actual track.

Quote:
I actually was a little less impressed with the 8AT on the track. Shifts are quick and crisp, but during tricky transitions it was sometimes slow to downshift. (I recall Randy Pobst made some similar remarks, though he loved the chassis otherwise.) I had my hands full with steering and thinking about other aspects of the track, but if I were tracking an M3C regularly, I'd probably go for full manual mode with the paddles. Like you, though, I oped to #savethemanuals
I do remember Randy Pobst having issue with it and actually achieving a quicker lap time in the 6MT. I just attributed that to him being a phenomenal driver. Truthfully in comparison to other torque converter autos I've driven I felt this one was one of the best. But I do agree it's slow to downshift in some instances, but so are most automatics. I did a couple laps in full auto and a few laps with paddle shifters and the paddle shifters definitely mitigated some of that issue.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #4
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I do remember Randy Pobst having issue with it and actually achieving a quicker lap time in the 6MT. I just attributed that to him being a phenomenal driver.
That's the closest I've ever been compared to a pro driver. I'll take it.
      08-26-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's the closest I've ever been compared to a pro driver. I'll take it.
You are a multiple time PCD graduate afterall. Few more of those and the FIA will begin to take notice.

Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I'm going to this tomorrow
Appreciate 2
wtwo317880.50
ando1954.50
      08-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #7
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I'm going to this tomorrow
Have fun! Definitely one of the best UDEs I've been to.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #8
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You are a multiple time PCD graduate afterall. Few more of those and the FIA will begin to take notice.
At the PC, I followed the lead driving instructor, Derek, as he bombed around the place during my private lesson. Even when I got comfortable with the driving line and braking points, I couldn't quite catch him.

What's funny is that he was watching me closely through his rear-view mirror, offering real-time critiques about what I was doing wrong. He was delivering this information through a hand-held radio. So, basically, he was driving with only one hand on the wheel, and only occasionally looking ahead at the track, through some wet portions, giving me critiques, while hitting triple-digit speed and staying comfortably ahead of me as I tried my best to keep up.

Towards the end of the day, at one point, he exclaimed "wow, I almost have to put the radio down, you're getting too close!" I considered that a victory of sorts.
2011ninja3328.50
      08-26-2022, 04:53 PM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
At the PC, I followed the lead driving instructor, Derek, as he bombed around the place during my private lesson. Even when I got comfortable with the driving line and braking points, I couldn't quite catch him.

What's funny is that he was watching me closely through his rear-view mirror, offering real-time critiques about what I was doing wrong. He was delivering this information through a hand-held radio. So, basically, he was driving with only one hand on the wheel, and only occasionally looking ahead at the track, through some wet portions, giving me critiques, while hitting triple-digit speed and staying comfortably ahead of me as I tried my best to keep up.

Towards the end of the day, at one point, he exclaimed "wow, I almost have to put the radio down, you're getting too close!" I considered that a victory of sorts.
My X7 production date moved up from 9/1 to 8/31 and I did a little dance this morning. It's the small wins in life you have to celebrate am-I-right?

I do wish the instructor at this event pushed the car a bit more. He was going a bit too slow for my taste. I decided to hang back a bit so I could speed up and really push it through some of the corners only to catch back up to the pack quickly.

Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #10
mroverkill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Firstly - apologies for the lackluster pictures... didn't have too many opportunities to take pics so this is the best I could do.

Interestingly, this event wasn't advertised on BMW UDE's page. On their page the event in Chicagoland that WAS advertised was the one at NOW Arena in Schaumburg, which features the i4 m50 auto cross and some street drives. The event in Joliet on the other hand, aside from featuring those two activities, gave us an extra treat of some lead/follow track time in an M3/M4/M8.

First was a 30 minute classroom session - the instructor was excellent, very enthusiastic. He actually works at the SC performance center.
Attachment 2967384

Our group went towards the i4 autocross session first. I've test driven the i4 at a dealer before so I was somewhat familiar with what it can do. It's an impressive car - but I'm still having trouble getting over the EV side of it. It's so fast but so unengaged. The sounds they have pumped in do help, but you still feel as though you're hovering through the course rather than driving it. It's an odd sensation and just not as much fun without the sound, gear shifts, vibrations that go along with an ICE car. Watching from the tent was just sad - imagine golf carts going around a set of cones. Hilariously, anytime an ICE car flew by around the adjacent track, EVERYONE turned their heads (including the instructors) as that was much more interesting than what was going on with the autocross.

That being said if I HAD to pick an EV "sports" sedan, I'd pick this over a model 3 any day of the week. Like I mentioned above, the sounds BMW has incorporated DO help some with the engagement issue (at least way more than the model 3). Build quality is far superior and the interior is very attractive. Unpopular opinion but I think iDrive 8 looks awesome and the curved screen, while could be better integrated, does not look bad at all from behind the wheel.
Attachment 2967383

Now for the main event - track time in an M3/M4/M8. It was first come first serve once you got your helmet on, so I rushed to the M3 as fast as I could. This was my first time driving it on a track and WOW what a freaking machine. The cornering ability was insane, the lateral Gs were eye popping, and getting the rear end to kick out a little even with TCS on was a pleasure. The car is SO far superior to my m340i in every conceivable way... especially the cornering ability... it's really a head scratcher that people still debate if "m performance" cars are considered M cars. (Take it from an m340i owner.... it's no M car).

Beyond that, the tartufo interior was beautiful, and I'm so glad I have it optioned. The comfort seats were up to the task for track duty... with decent amount of bolstering but also being extremely comfortable. I have driven a G80 with the CB seats before, and while they keep you in place better, I'd get them more for the look than their bolstering.

The 8spd auto comes alive on the track. So much so that the guy sitting with me who tracks his mini on a monthly basis thought it was a DCT. I have noticed instances on the road where it hunts for gears a bit... but WOT on the track, the 8spd auto is a gem. Despite that, I'm still glad I have a 6MT on order... especially since I won't be tracking.
Attachment 2967382
Attachment 2967381
Attachment 2967380

Finally the street drives. They didn't have a huge selection avaialble... the i4 m50, the iX 50, m550, m440, X5 m50 and x7 m50 (pre LCI). I chose to check out the iX since that's the only one I hadn't driven yet. This is where I feel EVs shine - as a family SUV. It's quick so it's not bad to drive, and it's silent and comfortable. The interior was pretty with great materials, and it was just an overall very relaxing drive. Especially after the adrenaline rush of thrashing the G80 on the track If BMW made a similar 3 row EV SUV, I'd strongly consider that.
Attachment 2967379
So first come first serve in the sense? Is it first come first serve per session? I have the afternoon session tomorrow, so trying to see if I'll get a chance with the M cars
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #11
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

OL code vía email ? Asking for myself
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #12
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroverkill View Post
So first come first serve in the sense? Is it first come first serve per session? I have the afternoon session tomorrow, so trying to see if I'll get a chance with the M cars
1st come 1st serve in which M car you get. They have a fleet of M3/M4/M8 and a couple m850s mixed in. I wanted the M3 so I rushed to that one. But if you want an M8 or M4 you'll have to rush to one of those. You'll get a car on the track... which one you get depends on how quickly you get to the one you want.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #13
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
I’ve been to a couple of these at Monticello. Its been a couple of years, but I think they called it “BMW Track Days” at the time rather than a UDE, M track day, or M school. It was an invite-only thing, but free and a good half day of fun. My last one had some m performance cars on track with M2s which helped slow the overall pace down, and they loosely “made sure” we kept under 100 so we didn’t have to wear helmets or something like that. Not nearly as much seat time as a real M track day or M school since you’re rotating in and out of cars so much, but still the most fun I’ve had at a free BMW event.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #14
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
OL code vía email ? Asking for myself
No mention of OL code unfortunately... haven't gotten anything through email either yet.

Appreciate 1
arciga181726.00
      08-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
mroverkill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroverkill View Post
1st come 1st serve in which M car you get. They have a fleet of M3/M4/M8 and a couple m850s mixed in. I wanted the M3 so I rushed to that one. But if you want an M8 or M4 you'll have to rush to one of those. You'll get a car on the track... which one you get depends on how quickly you get to the one you want.
Ahh understood. Thank you
Appreciate 1
wtwo317880.50
      08-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #16
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Here in So Cal, I have been to a few invite only UDE at night after the UDE ends, where a local dealer invites their own customers and they always have Full M cars M3/4/5/8 and X5m and B7 etc.. to drive on the track and for street drives followed a full catered dinner.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317880.50
      08-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #17
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
Here in So Cal, I have been to a few invite only UDE at night after the UDE ends, where a local dealer invites their own customers and they always have Full M cars M3/4/5/8 and X5m and B7 etc.. to drive on the track and for street drives followed a full catered dinner.
That sounds incredible. Porsche does a lot of those dealer invite events here. But this is the first time that I've been to a free BMW UDE where they've even let you drive M cars, let alone on a track.

Chicagoland usually gets shafted on events anyway

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Loll the golf carts going around cones.

Thanks for sharing. How'd you find out about this non-UDE event? Pre-pandemic at UDE they'd have M cars for street drives, but nothing track/autocross related. I'd imagine being a current BMW owner plays a role.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317880.50
      08-26-2022, 06:19 PM   #19
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I am going tomorrow. Registered immediately after a fellow forum member posted this event in the regional forum. How many lead follow laps did you do? How many cars follow a lead at one time?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #20
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
That's probably why they didn't advertise it on the main UDE page I was shocked as well as I've NEVER gotten this opportunity to drive M cars at a UDE, much less at the actual track.
Wait, then how did you find this event if it wasn't advertised? I only see the NOW Arena event when I go to the UDE page.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 06:29 PM   #21
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywai2 View Post
I am going tomorrow. Registered immediately after a fellow forum member posted this event in the regional forum. How many lead follow laps did you do? How many cars follow a lead at one time?
I got 5 laps, and there's 3 followers per lead car.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 06:30 PM   #22
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
I was invited to one of these, but I couldn't go. Was this at Angel stadium or Santa Anita?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0