BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum BMW XM Closed Room Event

07-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
I was thrilled when I got this invite from BMW Australia to attend the XM closed room event that happened today (19th July). A small group got to see ONE of the TWO available pre productions cars in the world.

I want to respect BMW's Privacy and their recognition for my loyalty. So, will not divulge into super specific details and obviously, we had to keep our phones out! So read on, if you are still interested…

It's happening, the beginning of a new era of M cars! I am not a fan of this change personally but wanted look at it objectively without any personal bias.

It's big, futuristic and bold.

- New Green Colour : Similar to Sage Green in Mini Country Man. Very nice and unique Green IMO.

- Gold / Brass Trim : Around the Grills, door panels and rear.
- The colour and Trim combo looked really good IMO; very similar to Mini Clubman Untold edition. There is also a piano black trim available.

- 23" Black Wheels : It's not about the size but the look! You will love it or hate it! And no BMW roundel/ logos!

- 4.4 V8 Hybrid 480kw and 800nm. Approx 60- 90kms on full EV. Couldn't hear the sound in person as they didn't start the car. But in the video they played, it sounded pretty good.

- Front is very similar to LCI X7 and new 7 series, albeit the kidney grills and looks way better on this car IMO

- Piano Black Kidney Grills with Horizontal slats and LED around it. Looked pretty funky in the dark/ studio lighting. The grills are on the big side but more squarish and not disproportionate to the car's overall size.

- 2 BMW logos embossed in the rear glass on each side, neat touch IMO. (Homage to M1s 2 rear badges on each side)

- Interior is spacious and similar to M8 (seats, panels, etc). BUT you get Grained leather so 1:1 for everyone! Dash and Drivers Display is similar to all other new/ upcoming BMWs.

- I had. to do a Matt Watson's stick of truth as it was quite dark with studio lighting and it does have vertical quad exhausts. Officially a Lexus. Overall, looked good and plenty of boot space! It has a M5CS style rear diffuser.

- Same Steering wheel as in the G8x, F9x etc

- X///M badge is bigger/longer than the xdrive badge!

Thanks if you read this far.
Appreciate 7
F30Andy1778.50
roxxor1143.50
GuyOh1067.00
Vivek.1367.50
02M3ForMe4264.50
      08-07-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
Is the A pillar black like the concept or colour matched
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #3
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOh View Post
Is the A pillar black like the concept or colour matched
It's colour matched in the car that we saw. This was the Brass trim version. There is also a black trim version, maybe in that the a pillar could be black.
Appreciate 1
GuyOh1067.00
      08-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
Overall did you like the appearance of the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 06:42 AM   #5
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOh View Post
Overall did you like the appearance of the vehicle?
Take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I am not a big SUV fan albeit M SUV. It wasn't great TBH but wasn't bad either from an exterior perspective. This is BMW's contender against G wagon and I'd take the G wagon anyday and that's just me.

But I am sure it will drive like a dream and the interior is superb! It's big and definitely got the presence.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
GuyOh1067.00
      08-29-2022, 12:19 AM   #6
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Thanks for the write-up. I wonder if it is this car (https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1923562) or a similar build that you saw?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 07:06 AM   #7
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
Thanks for the write-up. I wonder if it is this car (https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1923562) or a similar build that you saw?
That is exactly the car and it's not dravit greyish. It's a green (can't say the colour name) and very similar to sage green in mini country man
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:51 PM   #8
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEGRITY View Post
This is BMW's contender against G wagon and I'd take the G wagon anyday and that's just me.

But I am sure it will drive like a dream and the interior is superb! It's big and definitely got the presence.

Hope this helps!
This doesn't make sense to me; the G-Wagen is an offroader with good road manners and the XM from my understanding is supposed to be a track-worthy SUV. Other than catering to buyers with larger budgets I don't see the similarity. (note this isn't directed at you per se since I've seen this around the place but I was curious about your thoughts)
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #9
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Quote:
This is BMW's contender against G wagon and I'd take the G wagon anyday and that's just me.

Hope this helps!
This doesn't make sense to me; the G-Wagen is an offroader with good road manners and the XM from my understanding is supposed to be a track-worthy SUV. Other than catering to buyers with larger budgets I don't see the similarity. (note this isn't directed at you per se since I've seen this around the place but I was curious about your thoughts)
In my mind, the XM could have the mechanical / technical capabilities to be a track SUV but in reality, it's not. This thing is really big and with that size, weight and aesthetics and majority of the potential buyers, it will remain a luxurious, very sporty family SUV.

G Wagon is indeed an off road machine. In my experience, I have not seen a single owner who uses it for that purpose. It's their luxury, statement making family SUV.

Hence, I made that comparison based on what the car will / is used for by majority of its buyers.

BMW AUS themselves told me in that event that this car is intended to be a contender for the GWagon as well
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
mikerx5463.00
      09-17-2022, 05:37 AM   #10
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

It always made sense to have a g wagon competitor. Naturally you cant make an off road looking vehicle to me at least as it looks like a carbon copy - so personally I am excited for this.
Appreciate 2
TEGRITY616.50
PNWM3539.50
      09-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #11
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
I was thrilled when I got this invite from BMW Australia to attend the XM closed room event that happened today (19th July). A small group got to see ONE of the TWO available pre productions cars in the world.

I want to respect BMW's Privacy and their recognition for my loyalty. So, will not divulge into super specific details and obviously, we had to keep our phones out! So read on, if you are still interested…

It's happening, the beginning of a new era of M cars! I am not a fan of this change personally but wanted look at it objectively without any personal bias.

- New Green Colour : Similar to Sage Green in Mini Country Man. Very nice and unique Green IMO.

- The colour and Trim combo looked really good IMO; very similar to Mini Clubman Untold edition. There is also a piano black trim available.

- 23" Black Wheels : It's not about the size but the look! You will love it or hate it! And no BMW roundel/ logos!

- 4.4 V8 Hybrid 480kw and 800nm. Approx 60- 90kms on full EV. Couldn't hear the sound in person as they didn't start the car. But in the video they played, it sounded pretty good.

- Front is very similar to LCI X7 and new 7 series, albeit the kidney grills and looks way better on this car IMO

- Piano Black Kidney Grills with Horizontal slats and LED around it. Looked pretty funky in the dark/ studio lighting. The grills are on the big side but more squarish and not disproportionate to the car's overall size.

- 2 BMW logos embossed in the rear glass on each side, neat touch IMO. (Homage to M1s 2 rear badges on each side)

- Interior is spacious and similar to M8 (seats, panels, etc). BUT you get Grained leather so 1:1 for everyone! Dash and Drivers Display is similar to all other new/ upcoming BMWs.

- I had. to do a Matt Watson's stick of truth as it was quite dark with studio lighting and it does have vertical quad exhausts. Officially a Lexus. Overall, looked good and plenty of boot space! It has a M5CS style rear diffuser.

I am very disappointed that they kept the same steering wheel at my x6m comp instead of going with a more sporty one. Seems like the whole interior from the concept XM was axed and the XM interior will be pretty much he same as the x5m,x6m, x7's and m8's which is very disappointing for a new standalone vehicle.

The interior especially front of the car on the concept looked great, I do not understand why they couldnt keep it
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 09:07 PM   #12
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Quote:

I am very disappointed that they kept the same steering wheel at my x6m comp instead of going with a more sporty one. Seems like the whole interior from the concept XM was axed and the XM interior will be pretty much he same as the x5m,x6m, x7's and m8's which is very disappointing for a new standalone vehicle.

The interior especially front of the car on the concept looked great, I do not understand why they couldnt keep it
Understand what you are saying but this is technically one step up to the M8 and X7Ms. The leather is grained/ top quality and it's superb to look at it person and the interior is indeed good overall IMO. Yeah apart from that very similar to the 8 series and X7s.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 03:16 AM   #13
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankblu View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Bummer I missed
Is that sarcasm there?
Appreciate 0