BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Steering

06-20-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
Maxdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdriive msport

Steering

On hwy cruising I can feel like a hard spot in steering going straight, wiggle wheel back and forth slightly feel a hard spot if I wiggle wheel left to right slightly m340 2020 26000 km
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82

I have the same issue. When I brought it into the dealer they said they could not find anything....

At lower speeds Ive noticed the steering seems to be slowly stiffening before freeing up again . It seemed to go away for now..
Appreciate 1
Maxdog49.00
      07-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
plexxi
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 635, BMW 645, BMW 320d

Hi
I have the same issue. A slight notchiness in the steering at around center position. Feels like play in the U-joints in the steering column, but It can not be felt at stand still or with engine/ignition off.

Checked all the tie rod ends for play, but no. It has gotten gradually worse. At first I could only feel it some days, now I feel it ever time I drive.

It feels like if you are driving straight for a while, the power steering assistance goes "to sleep" and then when you steer it suddenly goes on after turning the wheel 1 degree or so. If I then steer back and forth around center position it feels normal.

Will be fun to drop off to the dealer for trouble shooting such an intermittent and hard to explain fault
BMW 635 Csi -84
BMW 645Ci -04
Appreciate 1
Maxdog49.00
      07-07-2022, 10:41 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexxi View Post
Hi
I have the same issue. A slight notchiness in the steering at around center position. Feels like play in the U-joints in the steering column, but It can not be felt at stand still or with engine/ignition off.

It feels like if you are driving straight for a while, the power steering assistance goes "to sleep" and then when you steer it suddenly goes on after turning the wheel 1 degree or so. If I then steer back and forth around center position it feels normal.
I wonder if it is the steering torque sensor is faulty/failing. To me, it could fit your descriptions. Too 'on-off', rather than being progressive.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxdog View Post
On hwy cruising I can feel like a hard spot in steering going straight, wiggle wheel back and forth slightly feel a hard spot if I wiggle wheel left to right slightly m340 2020 26000 km
Sounds like it could be a torque sensor issue.

Does it feel different if you adjust the steering slow (more sensitive), or fast?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 10:32 AM   #6
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

My steering also does not return to center smoothly or quickly with low speed turns. it'll return normal... stop and get stuck... then start again.

I have to fight the wheel back to center. It is near impossible to do any single hand palm turns.

It drives straight but has a little "dead" or "wiggle" room .

Im leaning towards a steering rack issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

Just a quick update.

I went back to BMW and drove with a tech. He almost immediately agreed I had a steering rack issue.

he car has been at the dealer for 1 week. I just talked with the service advisor. He told me there are no available steering racks and it could be until the end of the month until they receive the part....

Looks like ill be getting rid of the car soon!
Appreciate 0