BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

G82 6MT: User Criticisms after 14 months

First things first, there's many things I love about this car, but this thread is specifically regarding criticisms of my 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT. Some of these may be specific to my build date/year, but hoping this feedback provides some useful information. This isn't a rant...just some honest feedback about my car.

Silver X3 on screen at startup - I have a BSM M4, but I briefly see a silver X3 on my screen at startup about 5-7% of the time. It's very brief (second or less) before it shows my BSM M4. I get that much of the tech is shared between BMW models, but it does bother me slightly each time I see that damn silver X3 pop up on my screen.

Brake squeal & dust - I get that we have 'performance' brakes, but this is my daily driver as well. I'm not trying to heat up my brakes to racing temps when driving a couple miles to get groceries. It's terrible to hear the screech/squeal when my brakes are cold which is often. Adding on to this is the infamous BMW brake dust on my black wheels. I swear it only takes about 100 miles or less after a car wash that I see the brake dust adding layer after layer until the front wheels look brown. I often have to opt to get a car wash early when the rest of my car is still fairly clean, just for the brake dust.

Cup Holders - Eff these cup holders....especially since I have a 6MT. If I'm by myself, I have to use the passenger side cup holder, but my knuckles still hit the cup when I try to get into 3rd and 5th gears. I frequently have a passenger and if we both have drinks, I need to use the cupholder on my side where my 1st gear suffers as well. I get that I could hold the shifter differently, but I've been driving manual for years and old habits die hard. I refuse hold the shift knob like I'm holding a teacup or picking up dirty underwear because BMW wants to put the cupholders in a terrible area.

Comfort Access Issues - I like to keep my key in my pocket, but around 1-2% of the time, it won't detect that it's there and I either have to tug on the handle twice to open the door or pull my key out of my pocket and hit the unlock button. I also have 'comfort' issues with the locking as well. For example, if I get out and close the door and walk more than 5 feet away before my passenger closes their door, then I have to take the key out and lock the door manually. Similar situation with the trunk if I hit the button to close it and walk more than 5 feet away before it closes. Neither situation is the end of the world, but just annoying that I have to monitor to see if the comfort access is doing it's job every time.

Wireless Charging - This is the absolute worst. I only used it a few times before giving in to just using a wired charger in the car. First of all, it's not the easiest to open the center console to clip the phone in a very specific spot to take the phone in/out (compared to my girlfriend's Tesla where you just easily throw it in the front area). Secondly is that the charging is horrendous. Granted I was using GPS at the time, but I remember one trip where I ended up with LESS battery on my phone than when I started (never have an issue like this using the wired charger). Lastly, it makes my phone SUPER hot. It's very hot to the touch (can't be good for the phone/battery) and almost too hot to put in my pocket when I exit the car. I haven't used the wireless charger in over a year and don't plan to ever again.

Gesture Control - Used it for about a month or two and turned this setting off permanently. It would pick up unintentional hand signals from me or my passenger (e.g. I'll be pointing for my passenger to look at something and it will skip to the next song) and then wouldn't pick up intentional gestures at other times. I also started feeling really silly making tiny circles in the air with my finger to change the volume when I had a much easier time just doing it manually with the buttons on the steering wheel or the knob on the dash.

M2 button setting - I have my M2 setting to my liking and I have to remember to hit that button twice every time I start my car. Some of it is user error where I might hit it too fast and won't register my second click and not go to M2 setting. Because this happens occasionally, I might hit the M2 button too many times and it goes back to the regular setting. Or it might be that I turned my car off when picking someone up, but didn't get out of my car. Then I start the car and it's already in M2 setting I guess because I didn't exit the car, so it goes out of M2 and I have to re-enter it. Sometimes it seems that it reverts back to the original settings by itself during a drive, even though I'm pretty sure I set it to M2. The point of this is, I wish there was some way to just retain the setting I want at all times instead of having to set it each time. Believe it or not, this has caused some safety issues for me. My M2 button is set to have the driver lane assist OFF. If I'm driving down a road where I don't have anyone around me, I might make a lane change without using my turn signal (I know, I'm the worst). Especially in situations where the apex of a curve takes me from the outside lane to the inside lane, I might accidentally have the lane assist ON and it will pull me back into the outside lane where there could be sidewalk or guard rail that it points me towards.

Interior rattles - Fortunately, I had no markup on my car, but for a 80K 'luxury' vehicle, I have way too many random rattling noises in my cabin. The noises are pretty tame and it's not extremely terrible, but it is very noticeable even at idle.

Gear Ratio - I realize that there are tunes and whatnot to set this to my liking, but I feel that even the stock gearing for an "M" vehicle should be pretty good as is. First gear seems extremely short for me and I feel like I'm hitting redline and need to switch to 2nd gear immediately. Even the most professional manual driver can't help but lose some speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd when compared to an automatic transmission, so I feel like there is some early momentum lost off the line. This takes me to the 6th gear....As my daily driver, there many situations where I'm humming along at 80-100MPH in 6th on the highway. If I'm driving a long distance and just cruising, I can't help but think that I could use a 7th or 8th gear like my automatic transmission brethren to have a lower RPM noise and save some gas.

Flattening seats - I have the standard (non carbon bucket) seats and noticed a flat section developing on the side of the bolster in the driver's seat. I'm fairly average in build (5'11" and 180lbs), so I don't think that I'm too "big" for this seat. I've had many more miles/seat time in other cars and never had this issue.
Appreciate 11
GixY2K517.00
FrankieNuo1219.00
Mark Kez2201.50
RingRing135.00
nathanm4683.00
KO768.00
eugenebmw1482.00
stark_c55.50
      06-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #2
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

I don't read it as a rant at all, just honest feedback, which is appreciated.

The M2 button issues are not good. Why even need to push it twice instead of once? Not a great design. Also, why not have some more legible displays as to when you are in that mode? Is it just a small M2 symbol in a circle? I assume that stays illuminated?

The rattles are surprising for a 14 month old car. Cup holders - in my CT4-V Blackwing 6MT, I can use the one further back and never touch it. But the one closer to the shifter would be in the way. Comfort access - I suspect you tried a new battery already. Unfortunate it does not work better.

I made a post yesterday asking for opinions on predicted reliability of these current M cars. I intend to buy my M4 and keep it for years to come. Not a single reply yet. This would be my first BMW, and it seems many guys here have had multiple M cars. Maybe these are better as lease and return vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:56 PM   #3
RingRing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT DG/KO

G82 6MT: User Criticisms after 14 months

I agree with the cup holders in front of the shifter is a joke.

But i have to add that you should take a little time to read up on the lane assist settings. You can turn it off or just have the warning vibration turned on. Then you won't have to hit the M2 button twice then and if you forget to turn M2 on it won't fight you in the turns or lane changes.

I don't mind the 6th gear winding out at speed. I think it sound nice and I'm pretty sure it's not effecting gas mileage. I don't see a difference between 80 and 100 in consumption.

I think first gear is fine it is just that the car accelerate so quickly that you have to shift right away. But if I wanted a stop light racer I would have bought an auto. To me, first gear is for leaving the pits and not used again.

The thing I do dislike the most is the piped in sound. It honestly sometimes sounds like something is a miss with the engine. It will be nice to some day code it off and still have to exhaust valves open. 2nd dislike is the lack of bass / subwoofer depth and no aux in to bypass their head unit.

I have 17k plus miles on the car and it is silent inside. No rattles. It was then end of the 2021 run of cars. I really do like the car a lot. First BMW too.
Appreciate 4
      06-02-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I had two rattles on mine, both of which started up about 9 months into owning the car. One was in the door (it sounded like a loose wire), the other was around the instrument cluster.

I attempted to have the dealership handle them at my 1-year service and they are apparently deaf (couldn't replicate).

However, they did pop the door card and look around...which solved the door issue.

The instrument cluster vibration magically disappeared about two weeks ago. It was never that bad, just annoying because it was right in front of me. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't magically come back.

I also had to shut off Gesture Control...I was triggering it when shifting. The cup holders are also something of an issue, but I've had worse in other cars so I'm not really complaining as there really isn't anywhere else to put them.

Brake dust. Sigh. No one is going to disagree with you on this one. On the plus side, the matte gray of the 963M's don't show the dust as distinctly as the black 826's do.

Wireless charging. I had an iPhone XS for years and the wireless charging worked fine. I recently switched to Pixel 6 Pro and, yep, it's basically useless. Probably due to the much larger battery in the Pixel vs. my old Fruit Phone. The fruit was easier to charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJt3xtbook View Post
First things first, there's many things I love about this car, but this thread is specifically regarding criticisms of my 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT. Some of these may be specific to my build date/year, but hoping this feedback provides some useful information. This isn't a rant...just some honest feedback about my car.

Silver X3 on screen at startup - I have a BSM M4, but I briefly see a silver X3 on my screen at startup about 5-7% of the time. It's very brief (second or less) before it shows my BSM M4. I get that much of the tech is shared between BMW models, but it does bother me slightly each time I see that damn silver X3 pop up on my screen.

Brake squeal & dust - I get that we have 'performance' brakes, but this is my daily driver as well. I'm not trying to heat up my brakes to racing temps when driving a couple miles to get groceries. It's terrible to hear the screech/squeal when my brakes are cold which is often. Adding on to this is the infamous BMW brake dust on my black wheels. I swear it only takes about 100 miles or less after a car wash that I see the brake dust adding layer after layer until the front wheels look brown. I often have to opt to get a car wash early when the rest of my car is still fairly clean, just for the brake dust.

Cup Holders - Eff these cup holders....especially since I have a 6MT. If I'm by myself, I have to use the passenger side cup holder, but my knuckles still hit the cup when I try to get into 3rd and 5th gears. I frequently have a passenger and if we both have drinks, I need to use the cupholder on my side where my 1st gear suffers as well. I get that I could hold the shifter differently, but I've been driving manual for years and old habits die hard. I refuse hold the shift knob like I'm holding a teacup or picking up dirty underwear because BMW wants to put the cupholders in a terrible area.

Comfort Access Issues - I like to keep my key in my pocket, but around 1-2% of the time, it won't detect that it's there and I either have to tug on the handle twice to open the door or pull my key out of my pocket and hit the unlock button. I also have 'comfort' issues with the locking as well. For example, if I get out and close the door and walk more than 5 feet away before my passenger closes their door, then I have to take the key out and lock the door manually. Similar situation with the trunk if I hit the button to close it and walk more than 5 feet away before it closes. Neither situation is the end of the world, but just annoying that I have to monitor to see if the comfort access is doing it's job every time.

Wireless Charging - This is the absolute worst. I only used it a few times before giving in to just using a wired charger in the car. First of all, it's not the easiest to open the center console to clip the phone in a very specific spot to take the phone in/out (compared to my girlfriend's Tesla where you just easily throw it in the front area). Secondly is that the charging is horrendous. Granted I was using GPS at the time, but I remember one trip where I ended up with LESS battery on my phone than when I started (never have an issue like this using the wired charger). Lastly, it makes my phone SUPER hot. It's very hot to the touch (can't be good for the phone/battery) and almost too hot to put in my pocket when I exit the car. I haven't used the wireless charger in over a year and don't plan to ever again.

Gesture Control - Used it for about a month or two and turned this setting off permanently. It would pick up unintentional hand signals from me or my passenger (e.g. I'll be pointing for my passenger to look at something and it will skip to the next song) and then wouldn't pick up intentional gestures at other times. I also started feeling really silly making tiny circles in the air with my finger to change the volume when I had a much easier time just doing it manually with the buttons on the steering wheel or the knob on the dash.

M2 button setting - I have my M2 setting to my liking and I have to remember to hit that button twice every time I start my car. Some of it is user error where I might hit it too fast and won't register my second click and not go to M2 setting. Because this happens occasionally, I might hit the M2 button too many times and it goes back to the regular setting. Or it might be that I turned my car off when picking someone up, but didn't get out of my car. Then I start the car and it's already in M2 setting I guess because I didn't exit the car, so it goes out of M2 and I have to re-enter it. Sometimes it seems that it reverts back to the original settings by itself during a drive, even though I'm pretty sure I set it to M2. The point of this is, I wish there was some way to just retain the setting I want at all times instead of having to set it each time. Believe it or not, this has caused some safety issues for me. My M2 button is set to have the driver lane assist OFF. If I'm driving down a road where I don't have anyone around me, I might make a lane change without using my turn signal (I know, I'm the worst). Especially in situations where the apex of a curve takes me from the outside lane to the inside lane, I might accidentally have the lane assist ON and it will pull me back into the outside lane where there could be sidewalk or guard rail that it points me towards.

Interior rattles - Fortunately, I had no markup on my car, but for a 80K 'luxury' vehicle, I have way too many random rattling noises in my cabin. The noises are pretty tame and it's not extremely terrible, but it is very noticeable even at idle.

Gear Ratio - I realize that there are tunes and whatnot to set this to my liking, but I feel that even the stock gearing for an "M" vehicle should be pretty good as is. First gear seems extremely short for me and I feel like I'm hitting redline and need to switch to 2nd gear immediately. Even the most professional manual driver can't help but lose some speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd when compared to an automatic transmission, so I feel like there is some early momentum lost off the line. This takes me to the 6th gear....As my daily driver, there many situations where I'm humming along at 80-100MPH in 6th on the highway. If I'm driving a long distance and just cruising, I can't help but think that I could use a 7th or 8th gear like my automatic transmission brethren to have a lower RPM noise and save some gas.

Flattening seats - I have the standard (non carbon bucket) seats and noticed a flat section developing on the side of the bolster in the driver's seat. I'm fairly average in build (5'11" and 180lbs), so I don't think that I'm too "big" for this seat. I've had many more miles/seat time in other cars and never had this issue.
OP, you are not alone.

I sold my 2021 6MT G82 because of all the issues you mentioned.

06-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #6
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My first thought was "is this his/her first BMW?". Because many of the issues are not unique to the M4. Not an excuse, just my personal experience with 15+ BMWs.

As for the M2 button thing, AFAIK that "double click" is required when the settings change the traction/stability control setting. I presume that it's a safety feature. Just look at the IP to see if M2 is engaged, and if not, click it again.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1482.00
      06-02-2022, 07:08 AM   #7
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I have 5500 miles on my 22 6mt M3 and so far *knock wood* I only seem to have the brake squeal issue in common with you.

As for hitting the M2 button twice, that is how it's been since the F8x days. If you have DSC Off or MDM mode set for one of your M buttons, it will make you confirm your selection by hitting the button twice. I think back in the F8x day it only made you hit the button twice if you had DSC off, though.

I don't really use the front cup holders at all, I usually only have a bottle in the door card holder.

My 22 didn't even come with wireless charging but I'm OK without it.

So far, I don't have any rattles save for maybe a slight rattle that occurs deep in the winter when things are really cold; but even that one is relatively minor and only occurs on sharp bumps; it's not constant.

I'll keep an eye out on my seats, though.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #8
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

It's funny because I feel like the gears are kind of tall with the exception of 6th, which I wish was a tad taller.

For the rattles, i'd buy some flocking tape. It's thin felt lined tape, I get it about 1/4" wide.

I had rattles from my center console lid and the glovebox within the first month. I put the tape behind the glovebox latch where it's "post" meets the glovebox body and where the door's "teeth" click in to the glovebox. For the center console I wrapped where the latch clasps on to the frame of the glovebox. You can't see or feel the tape on the glovebox and the center console it's invisible unless opened and then it's not really noticeable. Fixed my rattles for almost a year now. I don't really trust the dealer to fix it right since I've never had one successfully fix a rattle.
Appreciate 3
BA///MA97.50
MassComp2123.50
M4Tejas788.00
      06-02-2022, 08:22 AM   #9
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

If these are the minor annoyances you've found after 14 months of ownership, I think the G8x did pretty darn good.
Thanks for the feedback but I'm not experiencing some of the issues you listed, and the rest don't bother me at all.
Appreciate 6
      06-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

This will be my first BMW. Getting an M4 comp xDrive.

I hate rattles, if I get some hope I can fix them my self.
Brake dust, different set of pads will fix that. Need to research which one I would need. Had a Hellcat, break dust is crazy in those. New pads, problem solved.
I have read a few posts about gesture controls. Will turn those off day one I bet.
M buttons: I wish bmw had preset mods (eco, sport track, custom) on screen.

Look forward to getting the M4 and plan to keep it for at least 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #11
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

I remember when Porsche did not allow for cup holders at all…

Problem solved
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #12
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
My first thought was "is this his/her first BMW?". Because many of the issues are not unique to the M4. Not an excuse, just my personal experience with 15+ BMWs.

As for the M2 button thing, AFAIK that "double click" is required when the settings change the traction/stability control setting. I presume that it's a safety feature. Just look at the IP to see if M2 is engaged, and if not, click it again.
THIS^^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #13
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
This would bug me too...

Quote:
Having owned a few Porsches, I'm used to brake dust and constantly cleaning the wheels. 20" Spyder wheels are a pain to keep clean, but I manage with my wheel brushes and microfiber.

Quote:
Hmm....what model phone do you have, and is the case on the thick side? I have inductive phone charging in my Macan, and granted the charging speed is weak sauce, but I don't have any heat issues with my iPhone 12 Pro using a thin phone case.

Quote:
Interior rattles bug the piss out of me. My first Mercedes C Class had some rattles and I would have my wife drive at times with me in the back seat trying to hunt them down. My Porsche is just about silent feeling like it was chiseled from a single piece of stone. My wife's last BMW (F30 340i xDrive) had road noise so bad at highway speeds it sound like a window was cracked open. I've read here that BMW has made great strides improving the interior in the G8x....I hope so!

Quote:
This concerns me as well since I'll be opting for the Sport seats on my pending M3....that and I am your height and only 10lbs lighter. So when you say flat spot on the bolster, are you talking lower or upper, and on which side? Is it really noticeable....like it could be missing some foam cushioning?
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #14
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
The cupholder thing with MT is a problem on my F80 as well. That didn't change in the new model. Having to hit the M2 button twice is probably because you're tweaking the transaction control settings. It has the same behavior in my F80.

I don't have issues with my Comfort Access not working on my F80. But I definitely have it with my 2019 X4. My theory is that the newer key eventually goes to 'sleep'. I think they are trying to get around theft issues where bad guys are forwarding signals from the keys from a far away location.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #15
Asindhidude
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT. Brooklyn/Fiona

I would like to add a few of the issues I've found annoying. I'm in for 14 months 18k miles on a 21 6MT

1) when it rains, water pools on the backup camera and makes it impossible to use
2) the gas tank is too small

That's basically it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #16
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer954 View Post
The cupholder thing with MT is a problem on my F80 as well. That didn't change in the new model. Having to hit the M2 button twice is probably because you're tweaking the transaction control settings. It has the same behavior in my F80.

I don't have issues with my Comfort Access not working on my F80. But I definitely have it with my 2019 X4. My theory is that the newer key eventually goes to 'sleep'. I think they are trying to get around theft issues where bad guys are forwarding signals from the keys from a far away location.
There you go, you've solved the perceived Comfort Access fault some owners seems to be complaining about..

On the newer BMWs, to prevent signal relay attacks, the keyfob no longer transmits when it senses no motion for a set period of time. I guess this over-ambitious theft-prevention feature can cause unintentional user-error issues.

Shake up key fob and try again, that should solve it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:33 PM   #17
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingRing View Post

But i have to add that you should take a little time to read up on the lane assist settings. You can turn it off or just have the warning vibration turned on. Then you won't have to hit the M2 button twice then and if you forget to turn M2 on it won't fight you in the turns or lane changes.
Thanks....it's my first BMW, so I'm not 100% familiar with all the settings. Will look to see if I can mess around with the lane assist setting.
Appreciate 1
RingRing135.00
      06-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #18
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
This.

Though I have one on the way but have yet to drive a 6MT, this isn't the first time I've heard complaints about the gearing. My biggest gripes with gearing is an unusably short 1st gear and a 6th gear that's not tall enough. Looks like the G8x suffers from both. :/
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #19
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
I don't mind the 6th gear winding out at speed. I think it sound nice and I'm pretty sure it's not effecting gas mileage. I don't see a difference between 80 and 100 in consumption.
Maybe it seemed like it from some instant MPG readings during short bursts, but all else being equal, fuel economy definitely suffers at higher speeds... and at a geometric rate, no less. So as you double your speed (e.g. from 50mph to 100mph), the air resistance is actually quadrupled.

This is why even a basic 120hp crapbox can hit 100mph, but it generally requires 500+hp to hit 200mph... and 1500+hp and a lot of fancy aerodynamics to hit 300mph.

And this is why manufacturers started adding "overdrive" gears years ago, to reduce engine RPMs as much as possible to improve fuel efficiency at higher speeds. I still don't understand why BMW's sixth gear is so short.
      06-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #20
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

I think the intention was to have the RPM within the powerband.
Anyone who drove an S2000 wouldn't really complain about the G8x, because S2000 is around 4k-4.5k from 70mph+ lol.
The gas mileage was actually a bit better on my C6 Vette that I got after the S2k.

I agree the 6th gear could use a slightly taller ratio, but I wouldn't complain too much.
Like I said many times, I'd rather have a shorter overall gears than longer ones.
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #21
RingRing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks....it's my first BMW, so I'm not 100% familiar with all the settings. Will look to see if I can mess around with the lane assist setting.
Start with the button on the dash below the display screen with the green circle around it. (Could be a different color but it is next to the hazard switch) Press it and go into the "configure individual".

I set it up to have all the safety stuff turned on but with out the "steering intervention" box checked. And then leave it in the "individual" setting all the time.

It also may be the DSC button turning off that is causing the double pressing confirmation. It's next to the parking brake switch.

I have that set on all the time too. It is easy to turn off when I need to. For like launch control.

Once you have everything set the way you like, press and hold down the M1 or 2 button until you here the beep. It's programmed into the button now.

Have a fun weekend!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #22
RingRing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
Maybe it seemed like it from some instant MPG readings during short bursts, but all else being equal, fuel economy definitely suffers at higher speeds... and at a geometric rate, no less. So as you double your speed (e.g. from 50mph to 100mph), the air resistance is actually quadrupled.

This is why even a basic 120hp crapbox can hit 100mph, but it generally requires 500+hp to hit 200mph... and 1500+hp and a lot of fancy aerodynamics to hit 300mph.

And this is why manufacturers started adding "overdrive" gears years ago, to reduce engine RPMs as much as possible to improve fuel efficiency at higher speeds. I still don't understand why BMW's sixth gear is so short.
Agree but also disagree. There is a lot more to MPG than just wind resistance. Otherwise if a Honda could get 40 mpg then any car with the same coefficient of drag should get the same or very close.

Of course we are not really concerned about MPG that much I hope because we should not be in the M cars then.

Out of curiosity I will try and do a honest mileage test this next week. I have some road trips coming up.

I wonder how many complaints we would have it the 6th gear did only 4000 RPMs at 185 mph? Or we added a seventh gear and 30 pounds more to the "tank".

Trust me that I wish we could have everything that has been mentioned but I understand that there are alway compromises and I think what we got is great.

And I love the power that sixth gear has at highway speed so I can be lazy and not downshift.

It is truly amazing quick.
Appreciate 0