Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Headlights need to be redeveloped following lowering?

05-11-2022, 07:29 AM   #1
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Headlights need to be redeveloped following lowering?

So previous issues notwithstanding, the only remaining issue I'm seeing following install of new lowering springs is that the headlight level is a little high, not ridiculous but definitely high.

From a quick look under the car I believe the headlight level switch is actually on the front left wheel which makes sense that the headlight level would raise. Has anyone else experienced this or has my sensor been reinstalled incorrectly?

I'm fine with attempting to relevel the lights myself, my only confusion is to whether both the inner and outer headlight projectors (i have laser lights and therefore all 4 projectors work on dipped beam) need to be perfectly aligned with eachother or if one of them needs to be slightly higher than the other, I.e projector closest to roadside slightly higher. Does anyone have the headlight pattern I should be aiming for?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #2
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I have H&R lowering springs on my car with laser headlights. My headlight auto levels every time I turn on the car. I haven't had any issues with the headlight height after lowering my car at all. It's in the same spot as before. There are headlight sensors on the suspension. Did you accidentally disconnect or hit them or something?
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2022, 12:10 PM   #3
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
I have H&R lowering springs on my car with laser headlights. My headlight auto levels every time I turn on the car. I haven't had any issues with the headlight height after lowering my car at all. It's in the same spot as before. There are headlight sensors on the suspension. Did you accidentally disconnect or hit them or something?
I didnt fit the springs but as far as I can see there isn't anything disconnected. It makes sense that lowering the car would make the level switch move to a different position, and with it being on the front it also makes sense that it would make the lights point up, it effectively thinks the car is pointing downwards, im not sure if there is a way of adjusting the switch however.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
I didnt fit the springs but as far as I can see there isn't anything disconnected. It makes sense that lowering the car would make the level switch move to a different position, and with it being on the front it also makes sense that it would make the lights point up, it effectively thinks the car is pointing downwards, im not sure if there is a way of adjusting the switch however.
Take it to the dealer, it may need to be reprogrammed. The auto level is supposed to correct it. Attached is a picture of the level sensor
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
There is one sensor in the front and one in the rear. (It wouldn't do any good otherwise.) Front left and rear right is what I read somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Check the rear ride height sensor. It is very easy for the ride height arm linkage to be forced in the wrong direction when replacing springs.

Attached is a diagram showing the linkage in the proper position.
Attached Images

05-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #7
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all, cant see the rear sensor but will get installer to check Monday when back in for alignment
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #8
Tony2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i G20

Bmw g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Check the rear ride height sensor. It is very easy for the ride height arm linkage to be forced in the wrong direction when replacing springs.

Attached is a diagram showing the linkage in the proper position.

Hello, I have a 330i g20, lowered with H&R springs, lowering accused on the panel “chassis restricted function”, installed what is the position level sensor after the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 02:18 PM   #9
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2000 View Post
Hello, I have a 330i g20, lowered with H&R springs, lowering accused on the panel “chassis restricted function”, installed what is the position level sensor after the sensor?
Not sure what you are asking me.

Your vehicle will have two ride-height (level) sensors (front and rear driver's side) to control headlight vertical aim . As I posted earlier, it is very easy when replacing the rear springs to invert the ride-height sensor linkage and cause the vertical aim of your headlights to be way off.

I have no experience with H&R springs or lowering on the G20 but if the front/rear are lowered to different heights, you should run ista+ to re-learn and store the new static ride height.

I am at a loss as to why your vehicle would throw a "chassis restricted function" warning/error after lowering. Double check all of the suspension/wheel related sensor connections.

Do you have a copy of ISTA+ Diagnostics? If not, suggest you get a copy/find a local member with ISTA+ and run Diagnostics on your vehicle to help identify the cause(s).

Larry