Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums USA - California Hard acceleration on cold engine

05-08-2022, 10:45 PM   #1
Lchow
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Hard acceleration on cold engine

Hello all, I just picked up a 2019 330i a few weeks ago. I am the first time BMW owner. Three or four times now I tried to show my neighbors and friends how fast the car can take off by stepping hard on the gas so that they could feel the car pick up. I did this only a minute or so after starting up and driving out to the main road. Then lately I have read that doing so would cause damage the engine and transmission, especially when the engine is still cold. Have I already done some damage to the car with my stupidity that I am not aware of? Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 12:06 AM   #2
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

you'll be alright, just don't do it every cold start.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #3
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Yeah, it's unlikely to have caused lasting damage, but be a bit more mechanically sympathetic in the future.

As a rule of thumb, let the oil temp get to around 75 degrees before giving it some. You can check the oil temperature, by saying "Hey BMW, what's my oil temperature?", or by switching on your sports display and it's shown there.
Appreciate 0