05-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
Malfunkshun'd
New Bimmerista
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 Waifu Edition

Front License Plate

Hi guys,
I see a lot of BMW with NO front license plate (looks way better), and recently my wife's X5 came out of the dealer without one.

I read that they are supposed to be mandatory in Colorado, but I also see more and more cars on the road without the front plates.

-> Did they change the regulation/law?
-> Or are the cops more tolerant on their absence?
-> For those cars being plate-less in the front, any issues with the cops so far?

Thanks for educating me :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #2
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Still required in most states. Enforcement varies a lot by state and city. Never been pulled over in NY but park on the street in NYC and they will ticket you so I put one when I park there.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:27 PM   #3
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

not sure of denver but in boulder if you park downtown the meter police will write that ticket even if your time isn't expired. that being said i never see a mclaren or r8 or similar with a front plate. or you just park in a garage instead on the street 🤷
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #4
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
In Colorado if they issue 2 plates, 2 are required.

https://law.justia.com/codes/colorad...ction-42-3-202

I just run a rhoplate tow hook setup.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 07:55 AM   #5
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

I've lived here in Colorado Springs since '05 and have traveled throughout the state with all my cars that have no front license plate. I did the same when I lived in CA. Front license plates are required by law in both states but rarely enforced; zero incidents, in my case.

The only time I've gotten ticketed for not having a front license plate was on Schriever AFB while my car was parked back-first, so the cop had to get out of his car to see if I was in fact a CO registered car in ordered to write me a ticket. And once coming on base in Peterson AFB. While one cop was checking my ID, the other went to the back, again, to check and see that I was a CO registered car. On both occasions, I just had to install my front license plate, take my vehicle to the Security Forces squadron, and get the ticket corrected; nothing went against my points or history.

At the end of the day, yes, you are rolling the dice depending on where you live. As you can tell, here in the Springs, the cops don't give a crap about front license plates. It may be different where you live.

What I do, in case I do get stop for that, I carry my front license plate under my front passenger mat, and I have an excuse ready, which is, "Sorry officer, but my front license frame/bracket just broke and I'm in the process of getting a new one".
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #6
IAm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 1999 Mcoupe (boston green)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
I've lived here in Colorado Springs since '05 and have traveled throughout the state with all my cars that have no front license plate. I did the same when I lived in CA. Front license plates are required by law in both states but rarely enforced; zero incidents, in my case.

The only time I've gotten ticketed for not having a front license plate was on Schriever AFB while my car was parked back-first, so the cop had to get out of his car to see if I was in fact a CO registered car in ordered to write me a ticket. And once coming on base in Peterson AFB. While one cop was checking my ID, the other went to the back, again, to check and see that I was a CO registered car. On both occasions, I just had to install my front license plate, take my vehicle to the Security Forces squadron, and get the ticket corrected; nothing went against my points or history.

At the end of the day, yes, you are rolling the dice depending on where you live. As you can tell, here in the Springs, the cops don't give a crap about front license plates. It may be different where you live.

What I do, in case I do get stop for that, I carry my front license plate under my front passenger mat, and I have an excuse ready, which is, "Sorry officer, but my front license frame/bracket just broke and I'm in the process of getting a new one".
Get either a tow hook license plate mount or a stow n’ show mount. Whatever works for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 08:08 PM   #7
Macnielseth
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm3 View Post
Get either a tow hook license plate mount or a stow n’ show mount. Whatever works for you.
I just got the RHO plate mount, intend on installing this weekend, I will try to post some pics when complete
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnielseth View Post
I just got the RHO plate mount, intend on installing this weekend, I will try to post some pics when complete
RHO plate install pics on mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #9
Macnielseth
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
RHO plate install pics on mine.
Looks great
Appreciate 1
forza19763398.00
      05-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #10
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i xdrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Some time ago headed to Denver, stopped at the Stbx city center… and … on the way back parking guy gave me a ticket. Not parking ticket but due to lack of license at the front. I have argued with him but on the end said to late, he already did it. Seems like in Denver some some parking control companies have good deal, frustrating for us.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #11
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:

Wow. I could have written this. Here since '05; never a plate on my 3 Vettes, none on my M4C. Ticket at Schriever when the SP's got a new commander who was basically a dick. Put the plate on, got the ticket dumped; took the plate off. Never a second look from COS or EPSO cops. They have better things to do.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2022, 08:07 AM   #12
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
Wow. I could have written this. Here since '05; never a plate on my 3 Vettes, none on my M4C. Ticket at Schriever when the SP's got a new commander who was basically a dick. Put the plate on, got the ticket dumped; took the plate off. Never a second look from COS or EPSO cops. They have better things to do.
I would like to claim that I did get a win against my fellow DEFENDERS (my son is currently one), when they kept telling me that I had to remove my radar detector from my dash.

So, what I did was, I printed out the AFPAM that establishes SOPs for radar detectors, and no where in there states you have to remove your radar detector, only says to make sure the radar detector is not operational or turned off.

So I kept showing this to all the cops in Schriever, Peterson, and USAFA when asked to remove my detector from the dash. And when they would try to come up with their own interpretation of the AFPAM, I would politely tell them that they are not to interpret directives, only to enforce them. I even talked to a Sergeant in Pete that I played basketball with, and explain this to him. Suddenly after that, I noticed that all three bases don't even mention my radar detector any more as I come in through the gate
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #13
Malfunkshun'd
New Bimmerista
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would like to claim that I did get a win against my fellow DEFENDERS (my son is currently one), when they kept telling me that I had to remove my radar detector from my dash.

So, what I did was, I printed out the AFPAM that establishes SOPs for radar detectors, and no where in there states you have to remove your radar detector, only says to make sure the radar detector is not operational or turned off.

So I kept showing this to all the cops in Schriever, Peterson, and USAFA when asked to remove my detector from the dash. And when they would try to come up with their own interpretation of the AFPAM, I would politely tell them that they are not to interpret directives, only to enforce them. I even talked to a Sergeant in Pete that I played basketball with, and explain this to him. Suddenly after that, I noticed that all three bases don't even mention my radar detector any more as I come in through the gate
Nice victory!

But aren't detectors legal in Colorado?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #14
Malfunkshun'd
New Bimmerista
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.
I think I'll ditch the front plate until I get a ticket (and dismiss it).
Then RHO plate will be the solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #15
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunkshun'd View Post
Nice victory!

But aren't detectors legal in Colorado?
They are legal in Colorado, but not on military bases.
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #16
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

I've run all my cars with no front plates for over 10 years in Colorado. The ONLY time we have issues is when parking on the streets downtown. My wife even got a ticket on I-25 recently (speeding, Greenwood Village) and they didn't say a word. Up to you of course.
      05-24-2022, 09:16 AM   #17
Malfunkshun'd
New Bimmerista
United_States
Rep

Downtown Denver you mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:20 AM   #18
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Downtown Denver you mean?
Yes. The only tickets I've ever received regarding no front plate where parking on the street in downtown Denver, Denver Metro.
      05-24-2022, 09:22 AM   #19
Malfunkshun'd
New Bimmerista
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80SRT View Post
Yes. The only tickets I've ever received regarding no front plate where parking on the street in downtown Denver, Denver Metro.
Thanks.
We never go there... or only on special occasions like a game (private parking).
But if I have to, I"ll remember to park in a parking garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #20
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.
We never go there... or only on special occasions like a game (private parking).
But if I have to, I"ll remember to park in a parking garage.
Yeah, I've gotten hit even when only parking for a little over an hour. And if memory serves it was like $125! This was 10+ years ago now. I learned my lesson and then my wife learned hers.
      05-27-2022, 04:27 PM   #21
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:

Never a problem at either Pete or Schriever. One time at Hanscom--asked me if it was on. It wasn't, never said anything about "removing it."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:06 AM   #22
markroi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini

You could be fined up to £1,000 for your vehicle. So, it will be better to take a licensed number plate or you can use personalised number plates also.
Appreciate 0