home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

02-20-2022, 10:50 PM   #1
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

Is it safe to drive RWD 230i in the snow?

I am considering a 230i now because there is already one available at the dealership and probably more friendly with my wallet.

But the thing I need to sort out is the rwd instead of x drive. I live in Kansas where the weather is unpredictable and this car will be my daily driver. I need to know that I will be safe in the rain and snow. But mostly snow.

IF I get a 230i with an extra pair of winter wheel and tire package, and I swap it out once winter starts, would I be protected from skidding or anything like that?

We just had a winter storm a few days ago and during my highway commute using my wife's X3, I saw at least 8 cars off the road because od the snow. I do not want to be that car

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 04:20 AM   #2
Beemer89
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW %E2%93%82%EF%B8%8F240I X D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3RLD View Post
I am considering a 230i now because there is already one available at the dealership and probably more friendly with my wallet.

But the thing I need to sort out is the rwd instead of x drive. I live in Kansas where the weather is unpredictable and this car will be my daily driver. I need to know that I will be safe in the rain and snow. But mostly snow.

IF I get a 230i with an extra pair of winter wheel and tire package, and I swap it out once winter starts, would I be protected from skidding or anything like that?

We just had a winter storm a few days ago and during my highway commute using my wife's X3, I saw at least 8 cars off the road because od the snow. I do not want to be that car

What do you guys think?
I've owned numerous RWD cars and of course traction is never going to be as good a AWD car but unless the weather is catastrophic you can still use RWD in poor weather but the reality is AWD is going to be one that makes a noticeable all round difference.

Imo AWD for a daily driver all day long and especially if your located where poor weather is the norm.
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
Gdschaf7
AT THE DEALERSHIP
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i, 2022 BMW M240i

I live in Minnesota and have driven my 135i in the winter for the past 7 years. 0 problems with snow tires. BMW's traction and stability control are really good and I usually turn on the dynamic traction control when driving in the snow. Not only is it fun, but it helps the wheels spin a bit to help get going in slippery situations. You won't leave from a stop light as quickly as an AWD vehicle, but braking and turning is no different.
So is it safe? yes. Is it fun? absolutely.
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #4
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

You could rephrase that to "is it safe to drive any rwd in the snow"

Of course it is....depending upon the driver and tires.

I grew up driving in northern Wisconsin when almost all the cars were RWD (late 60's) and most of them 1WD (few limited slip rear ends). I recall driving my new 1968 Camaro thru 6-8 inches of fresh ovenite snow to drop my brother off to work 35 miles round trip on secondary unplowed roads, kinda normal. That was with only rear snow tires. Nowadays it is most common to put good winter tires on all 4 even with RWD as it helps stopping/cornering a lot. Back then that was very unusual. Just snows on back.

But driving in snow/ice conditions is a learned skill, slower speeds, slow corners, gentle feather throttle, very early and soft/cautious braking etc. A lot of folks in Wisconsin still get by with just good all season tires as well...not so good in deep snow but if driving on plowed roads fine. Sounds like you have limited experience in winter condition driving (from your question) so by all means take it extra cautious learning the car and its capabilities in snow/ice conditions, avoid cruise control, drive slower, drive by feel of what the car is doing.

My worst was driving 190 miles of sheet ice on I-94, max speed without spinning out was 25mph, that drive took 8 nerve wracking hours. Would never do that today.

Last edited by danallxt; 02-21-2022 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 3
EM3RLD82.50
Roadwar128.50
jpcoop364.00
      02-21-2022, 08:29 PM   #5
Roadwar
Old Grumpy Guy
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive

If you are reasonable in your driving and have winter tires on your car you can do fine. If you'll take advantage of physics by adding 3 or 4 bags of sand (approximately 200 pounds) on the floor of the trunk, you'll be surprised by how easily you can get around.

gone: beloved '74 Mazda RX-3, various V8 Camaros and V8 Mustangs, various other Mazdas including a '10 Mazdaspeed 3, several late model Dodge Chargers including a 6.4 liter R/T. There were others along the way but I didn't love them much.
Appreciate 1
jpcoop364.00
      02-23-2022, 12:11 AM   #6
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

AWD is nice for deep snow and hills, otherwise RWD should be fine. Tires have come a long way in recent years. A 3 peak logo snow tire is the most important thing. The tire compound on those remains soft and sticks to ice much better than an all-season tire. And definitely don't be "that guy" on summer tires in snow.

Note that even with snow tires on, you need AWD or chains to pass a chain checkpoint in California. That shouldn't be an issue for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #7
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

If you are moving from FWD to RWD there will be a definite learning curve, adjustment needed. The difference between the two for winter driving is significant, FWD generally being superior.
Appreciate 0