home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

02-04-2022, 11:11 PM   #1
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

Is Style 792 Code 1VZ the widest NC wheel?

I don't mind the lip but if I am understanding the pricing guidelines correctly, it looks like the Style 792 Code 1VZ would be the widest wheels one can order without paying extra (NC - no charge)

Is this correct?
If so, has anyone ordered with this and have any photos? Seems like a really good deal!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
Perets
Private
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW, BMW 230i

I believe it will be same 8/8,5 as others. Looks like, 792M - just style, but specs are different. I saw one car on them, it does not looks like 9,5”.
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...27-36118089894
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...40-36118089895
Attached Images

Last edited by Perets; 02-05-2022 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #3
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

I did option my car with the 1VZ and its still in transit on a ship.
danallxt also spec'd the same option and should be getting his car before mine.

Other fellow member are correct in that the 792 wheels are only available as 19x8 and 19x8.5 and hence it wont have the lip on the fender.

Ive talked to genius and my dealer several times about the proper tire size (especially the fronts) and they all seemed to think the order guide was showing the right sized tires for this option.
245 wide tire should technically fit a 8in wheel and so I am hoping it still comes with 245 wide front. Shouldn't be a problem for rears to fit a 255 even if the wheel is only 8.5 wide which is similar to the other staggered wheel options such as 791 or 797.

The 893 wheels are wider front and rear as shown in the order guide.
Park asst pkg
HK audio
Aluminum trim
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman View Post

Other fellow member are correct in that the 792 wheels are only available as 19x8 and 19x8.5 and hence it wont have the lip on the fender.

Ive talked to genius and my dealer several times about the proper tire size (especially the fronts) and they all seemed to think the order guide was showing the right sized tires for this option.
245 wide tire should technically fit a 8in wheel and so I am hoping it still comes with 245 wide front. Shouldn't be a problem for rears to fit a 255 even if the wheel is only 8.5 wide which is similar to the other staggered wheel options such as 791 or 797.

Thanks for your input and response

That's too bad. Would be great to have a wheels option with 8.5 and 9.5 width at no charge. Instead of having to spend an extra $2400. Tbh i'd probably be willing to spend for the 893m wheels. It looks so nice it's just hard to justify the cooling and bigger brakes when I will only be using it to commute to work on a 2 lane highway haha.

When you get your car, can you please share the photos of your wheels? 🙏
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3RLD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman View Post

Thanks for your input and response

That's too bad. Would be great to have a wheels option with 8.5 and 9.5 width at no charge. Instead of having to spend an extra $2400. Tbh i'd probably be willing to spend for the 893m wheels. It looks so nice it's just hard to justify the cooling and bigger brakes when I will only be using it to commute to work on a 2 lane highway haha.

When you get your car, can you please share the photos of your wheels? 🙏
I agree. $2400 is a tough pill to swallow especially if you are going to use it only on the road 99% of the time.

I was torn between the 792 vs 893 and ultimately chose the 792. Figured I could spend the money on other goodies or perhaps on M perf exhaust when it eventually comes out.

I will definitely post pictures when I get it but its a month out before I pick it up.
Park asst pkg
HK audio
Aluminum trim
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 08:01 PM   #6
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:

I'm really hoping they fit the 8.5 inch wheel on the front for the 245. An 8 inch rim with a 35 aspect 245 tire is just too narrow a rim for that tire...sure it can be done but is not appropriate.
Actually the for 255 rear i wish they would have had the 9" rim which is perfect for a 255 (yes the 8.5 is ok). A 9.5 inch rim with the 255 is stretching the tire a bit but is commonly done. A 265/275 would be ideal for a 9.5 inch rim.
Appreciate 1
Jashue190.50
      02-05-2022, 09:29 PM   #7
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I'm really hoping they fit the 8.5 inch wheel on the front for the 245. An 8 inch rim with a 35 aspect 245 tire is just too narrow a rim for that tire...sure it can be done but is not appropriate.
Actually the for 255 rear i wish they would have had the 9" rim which is perfect for a 255 (yes the 8.5 is ok). A 9.5 inch rim with the 255 is stretching the tire a bit but is commonly done. A 265/275 would be ideal for a 9.5 inch rim.
I completely agree with you that it would be nice to have a 8.5 and 9.5 wide wheels.

To get an 8.5in upfront, we need an offset of 25~30 as the 893 wheel is 19x8.5 ET 25, 19x9.5 ET35 vs 792 wheel is 19x8 ET27, 19x8.5 ET40. I dont know if the 792 in 19x8.5 will necessarily fit the front with enough clearance to the suspension. Hence, I was thinking it might still end up coming with the 8in wheel.

Anyways, we shall see as you get your car in a few days hopefully without any further delays
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:28 PM   #8
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

I picked up my M240x today. Had the 1VZ option and i was going to report back here as to front tire/wheel size, specifically if 8 or 8.5 inch wheel. Others have posted that the 8.5 likely will not work on the front due to the 40ET.

So what did i get, dealer screwed up, i did not get the 1vz option. It is listed on my sheet from the dealer when i placed the order (S01VZ).

Well i look the car over and see it has 225/40s on the front. What really pisses me off, very early in track my BMW i noticed no mention of that, rather it just mentioned "standard". I specifically called twice to have the salesperson verify if i was getting the 1VZ option. She said yes.

Didn't happen, my car list as built shows a ZWH tire/wheel??? Which is 225/40 front.
So i point out this problem and get no-where as there is no recognition that 245 front is an option. She is insisting that what i got is actually the 1VZ and they just don't stay consistent with the codes and that so that is why it says ZWH instead of 1VZ. Then was saying no way you want wider fronts than the rears???? My reply was look at the order guide 245 front/255 rear...whaddya talking about? Like she didn't have a concept of 245vs255vs225? Anyway i got no where with her and said screw it and took the car as is. Simply put somehow she screwed the order up, i think she was thinking as long as its style 792 wheel its fine, my guess is that is what she checked on and did not have the awareness of the 1VZ option being a wider front. Simply there was no recognition on here part that 245 front was a No Cost option. Having said all that, perhaps 1VZ is not a wider front and the order guide is wrong???? When someone gets a 1VZ optioned car, please let me know.

I did get the summer non-run flats at least. In her favor i think she was focused on NonRFT tires with the 792 style wheel and that is what she checked on and missed the 245s specific to 1VZ.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:48 PM   #9
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I picked up my M240x today. Had the 1VZ option and i was going to report back here as to front tire/wheel size, specifically if 8 or 8.5 inch wheel. Others have posted that the 8.5 likely will not work on the front due to the 40ET.

So what did i get, dealer screwed up, i did not get the 1vz option. It is listed on my sheet from the dealer when i placed the order (S01VZ).

Well i look the car over and see it has 225/40s on the front. What really pisses me off, very early in track my BMW i noticed no mention of that, rather it just mentioned "standard". I specifically called twice to have the salesperson verify if i was getting the 1VZ option. She said yes.

Didn't happen, my car list as built shows a ZWH tire/wheel??? Which is 225/40 front.
So i point out this problem and get no-where as there is no recognition that 245 front is an option. She is insisting that what i got is actually the 1VZ and they just don't stay consistent with the codes and that so that is why it says ZWH instead of 1VZ. Then was saying no way you want wider fronts than the rears???? My reply was look at the order guide 245 front/255 rear...whaddya talking about? Like she didn't have a concept of 245vs255vs225? Anyway i got no where with her and said screw it and took the car as is. Simply put somehow she screwed the order up, i think she was thinking as long as its style 792 wheel its fine, my guess is that is what she checked on and did not have the awareness of the 1VZ option being a wider front. Simply there was no recognition on here part that 245 front was a No Cost option. Having said all that, perhaps 1VZ is not a wider front and the order guide is wrong???? When someone gets a 1VZ optioned car, please let me know.

I did get the summer non-run flats at least. In her favor i think she was focused on NonRFT tires with the 792 style wheel and that is what she checked on and missed the 245s specific to 1VZ.
Sorry to hear that man.

I'd love to see photos of your car though. I'm sure it's still beautiful
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 07:24 AM   #10
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I checked my order (attached) and it does also show ZWH similar to your car despite the dealer choosing 1VZ option for the order. I checked the latest order guide and it shows under the NOTES section as shown in the picture.

This confirms that the order guide under the wheel section is incorrect which is frustrating and they added a new code (ZWH) to correct the tire size but didnt update the Wheels section to reflect the right size.

Regardless, congrats on your car!!

I am close to getting mine. Should know a date for PCD by tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #11
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Guys you should pay more attention to these details before placing your order, sometimes pricing and ordering guides may contain errors, better double check all information, you can find a lot of information online.
There is one and only one 792M rim since 2019 and it is 8/8.5", anywhere that reads something different is a typo.
The 1VZ part number only refers to the tires (performance not runflat), the 1PW are performance runflat tires but ALL on the same 792M rims. Same name, same rims.
Bmw wouldn't call the same rims by the same name if they had different sizes, it would be a mess.
Just an example, 826M and 892M have exactly the same design, but different size, so different name
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #12
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Guys you should pay more attention to these details before placing your order, sometimes pricing and ordering guides may contain errors, better double check all information, you can find a lot of information online.
There is one and only one 792M rim since 2019 and it is 8/8.5", anywhere that reads something different is a typo.
The 1VZ part number only refers to the tires (performance not runflat), the 1PW are performance runflat tires but ALL on the same 792M rims. Same name, same rims.
Bmw wouldn't call the same rims by the same name if they had different sizes, it would be a mess.
Just an example, 826M and 892M have exactly the same design, but different size, so different name
I understand the wheels were 8/8.5.

With that being said, one could technically install a 245/35R19 on the Front 8in wheel same as how the car comes with 255/35R19 on the rear 8.5in wheel since they are both the max recommended tire widths for both wheels respectively.

Hence, when the initial order guide specified the wider wheels for 1VZ, I didn't think it was an error as was confirmed by both BMW Genius and the dealer several times over the past months.

Its not that I didnt research enough but rather the indicated tire size in the order guide and its feasibility that got me to choose it. In the end, it doesn't really matter as I will remove these tires to swap for UHP All seasons and can upsize from the stock 225 in the Front.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:15 AM   #13
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did do a crap load of research before i bought and was aware of the rim size issue/error. The issue is tire width and the totally incorrect Order Guide tire size. Plus to my knowledge BMW has never issued a correction, errata, or update to dealers. I could not definitively find out what tire size actually came with that option. I can understand errors happen but when discovered at least send out corrections or notices to dealers, ain't that difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #14
Roadwar
Old Grumpy Guy
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive

I, like you guys, was disappointed to discover 2 days before my car was delivered about my 1VZ option coming with "narrow" wheels and "narrow" tires. On the other hand I've been impressed with the Pirelli P Zero PZ4 tires I received. They handle very well and are quiet also. So, somewhat of a silver lining to the small cloud of disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #15
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Just to respond again, I specifically emailed BMW Genius on this issue and wanted clarification on what the 1VZ option was as it appears in error as listed in the Order Guide: the response follows:

Quote:
Hi Mr. Schlender,

Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team.

Your BMW was manufactured with 19" M Double spoke cerium gray wheels with performance non run-flat tires. These wheels have the following specifications:

Front: 19x8.5, 245/35 R19
Rear: 19x9.5, 255/35 R19

If you have concerns regarding options on the BMW that you have ordered, I suggest speaking to your Client Adviser. They are in the best position to assist you further. Should you need to access a list of our authorized BMW centers, please visit our website at: www.bmwusa.com, and select “Dealer Locator.”

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for your inquiry.

For your convenience, BMW Genius Team members can be reached via the BMW Genius Hotline Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 1-844-4GENIUS (443-6487).

Bernadette
BMW Genius Representative

Make a BMW product expert your new co-pilot.
NOTE: The above information is totally wrong. That response I just got today. So your saying its my/our fault for not doing proper research when even at this later date BMW Genius is still giving out incorrect information??? Not impressed.

Yes that problem is now known, but remember when most of us ordered these cars there was no track record or cars received with that option to validate. Going to a supposed BMW "knowledgeable source" obviously is of no use.

I'm not irked but it created a situation between me and the dealer where i was wrong and questioned the dealer. I ended up apologizing, but the source of the problem is BMW itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #16
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just to respond again, I specifically emailed BMW Genius on this issue and wanted clarification on what the 1VZ option was as it appears in error as listed in the Order Guide: the response follows:

NOTE: The above information is totally wrong. That response I just got today. So your saying its my/our fault for not doing proper research when even at this later date BMW Genius is still giving out incorrect information??? Not impressed.

Yes that problem is now known, but remember when most of us ordered these cars there was no track record or cars received with that option to validate. Going to a supposed BMW "knowledgeable source" obviously is of no use.

I'm not irked but it created a situation between me and the dealer where i was wrong and questioned the dealer. I ended up apologizing, but the source of the problem is BMW itself.
Sorry but I don't get your point.
Double-checking the info means comparing the US price guide to the other markets (UK, Germany, AU), and you would have found that only in the US one did they mention the 245 front tires with the 1VZ option, so there was probably something weird going on (first flag).
Also, the wider tires come with extra lips, and the extra lips are not mentioned with the 792M, so probably the car doesn't come with the wider tires (second flag).
Plus, there are plenty of photos and videos online since the press release (July 2019) where you can perfectly see that the car with the 792 rims and non runflat high performance tires (1VZ) rides on 225s.
We had already discussed this here in December, I hadn't seen the car in person yet (the first G42s arrived in Europe only at the end of January), and it's confirmed that it was as I said and that the Bmw geniuses are not so "genius"...
It was totally clear to me from the beginning, I'm not smarter than you, I just don't trust everything I read and used logic.

Fun fact: when I had the 1M they wanted to put 10W60 oil on my engine "because it's an M car, Bmw recommends this oil for M cars".
Ok but this isn't an M engine, it's the same N54 engine as the 335i, would you put 10w60 on a 335i?
"Also your owner's manual and our service guide say to use 10w60". Please use your brain and double check with Bmw.
Long story short, I was right and Bmw changed the recommendation later with a note to all dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #17
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry but I don't get your point.
that's not surprising.

Yup i made an incorrect assumption.

My point of the last post, even when the error is presented and pointed out to BMW Genius they continue to provide incorrect information. The inability to provide correct information even when the error is pointed out is disconcerting.

As far as checking/comparing Order Guides for different non -US markets...well options and option packages, and standard equip all varies often by market.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:11 PM   #18
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 94 6spd turbo Supra

Why are you talking to this bmw genius hotline any ways? Talk to your CA dude. This bmw Genuiss team is basically just a call center that's trained to just go off the ordering guides and never even see these cars nor really know anything about them.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:20 PM   #19
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

In which case the BMW Genius portal needs to be renamed the BMW maybe sometimes, not always correct hotline/portal. And no it was not a call but an email contact. I find automobile dealer "salespersons" quite often not very well informed and often provide incorrect information as well.
It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:55 AM   #20
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
that's not surprising.

Yup i made an incorrect assumption.

My point of the last post, even when the error is presented and pointed out to BMW Genius they continue to provide incorrect information. The inability to provide correct information even when the error is pointed out is disconcerting.

As far as checking/comparing Order Guides for different non -US markets...well options and option packages, and standard equip all varies often by market.
You're wrong again.
The options change by market, but not the option codes.
The 1VZ code universally means "792M wheels with 225/255 non-runflat performance tires," in the US, Europe, Asia, or Mars.
In Europe, the M240i comes with 1VZ as standard and guess what? 225/255 tires, as you would have seen from July 2021 at the press release.
Picture 33 set 1 https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...pé?language=en
If you don't understand this there is nothing we can do, but of course you are free to continue to follow the call center guys, the genius and other pseudo-experts and live happily. Or use logic and avoid these awkward situations.
Appreciate 2
jpcoop364.00
DougMcL787.00
      02-13-2022, 07:27 PM   #21
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey just give it a rest, i bow to your infinite wisdom in all matters.
Appreciate 0