BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

02-04-2022, 12:04 AM   #1
gaohaibo317
HG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Garage List
  [0.00]
As we noticed recently, a heated thread called "no more carbon roof" gained people's attention. Because it is so chaotic starting from page 10, I would like to make some clarification here.

I am the person who ordered a G82 M4 XDrive in Illinois and received the production number this week (targeting for March 10). Before I received my production number, I confirmed my build with 2 different SAs (they work together). Therefore, it is very unlikely that they accidentally added "moonroof" to my build. I paid 1k deposit upfront and confirmed my initial build (see pic below, without moonroof)
Name:  unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  66.6 KB
I received my production number two days later and was asked to pay more deposit due to the addition of full leather option, CF bucket seats and CF exterior package. I then found the existence of moonroof by double checking the production list (see below). I was panicking about losing CF roof, checked Bimmerpost, and found out that people are discussing about "no more carbon roof" on the same day. It could be that my SA accidentally added the moonroof, but giving the fact that people are talking about the exact same problem on the same day, I suspect that there might be some issues from the system.
Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  597.5 KB
The moonroof option was later deleted without any issue. I am not sure if this is happening to only myself, or to more people ordering these cars in the future. Therefore, be sure to double check everything with your SA and do it again before production. Good luck!
jabrax10.50
      02-04-2022, 12:39 AM   #2
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

I have nothing to add here except for the fact that your M4C spec has EXACTLY the same options (colors, everything) as my M3C build. It appears as though we have very good taste
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #3
DrePrime
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Yeah I've canceled my Individual order already which was going to have that forced Moonroof option so I can't fully reference what removing that option actually does.

Does it automatically give back the carbon fiber roof?
Does it just gives you a standard steel roof without a moonroof and painted black or the rest of the body color?

🤷🏾*♂️

I hope anyone else that orders it get what they want. If not I suggest waiting till the supply chain issue world wide goes away
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
Vervish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrePrime View Post
Yeah I've canceled my Individual order already which was going to have that forced Moonroof option so I can't fully reference what removing that option actually does.

Does it just gives you a standard steel roof without a moonroof and painted black or the rest of the body color?

🤷🏾*♂️

I hope anyone else that orders it get what they want. If not I suggest waiting till the supply chain issue world wide goes away
Dre - did someone at BMW 100% confirm with you that carbon roof is no longer available?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13707.00
      02-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #5
DrePrime
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervish View Post
Quote:

🤷🏾*♂️

Dre - did someone at BMW 100% confirm with you that carbon roof is no longer available?
Only verbally. My SA, sales manager, and genius line.
Appreciate 1
Vervish149.50
      02-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
They made you pay an additional deposit after you had already paid the $1k because of your options? First time I've heard that one. But nothing surprising anymore
      02-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmoney335 View Post
They made you pay an additional deposit after you had already paid the $1k because of your options? First time I've heard that one. But nothing surprising anymore
That would of been an immediate NO. Just scummy dealerships at it again.

The no CF roofs for the most part seems to be all talk. Talked to a genius yesterday and said they've heard nothing and talk to a lot of people daily on their M3/M4 builds.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

🤷🏾*♂️

What dealership?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 10:28 AM   #9
DrePrime
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

🤷🏾*♂️

What dealership?
A Tri-State dealership.

I'm not about to give that specific dealership any bad press because they are still handling my original M4 I already have built that's just missing the parking assistance package and is currently on its way here

Go to the other No carbon Fiber roof thread and you'll see the other G8X with their build having the moonroof automatically included.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 10:37 AM   #10
DrePrime
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
Quote:

The no CF roofs for the most part seems to be all talk. Talked to a genius yesterday and said they've heard nothing and talk to a lot of people daily on their M3/M4 builds.
Which could be true. This could have been a tactic to reduce orders for a CF roof or my dealership trying to make it so I stick with my original order. I wouldn't be able to know.

I've been told one thing. Others have been told another thing. I just hope everything goes right for those who are taking that risk.
Appreciate 1
Grumpy514626.00
      02-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #11
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm thinking this whole "no carbon roof" thing may just boil down to a misunderstanding of BMW's codes on the ordering guide.

The carbon fiber roof is standard on the G80/G82 but it does not have a technical three character option code like everything else does.

The moonroof, by contrast, DOES have a three character option code: "403 Moonroof"

As evidence of this, I've included screen shots of the 2022 G80 ordering guide.

Therefore, when your CA inputs your options there is no way to "request" the carbon roof. It simply comes standard even though there is no item listing that on your build sheet. But when you request the option for the moonroof, that gives you the item on your build sheet: "403 Moonroof"

This doesn't explain why "403 Moonroof" would just randomly show up on your build sheet when you didn't request it. But the absence of "403 Moonroof" should mean you would expect a carbon roof upon delivery.
Attached Images

02-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #12
elkid23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BG G80

Spoke with my highly knowledgeable CA today. No CF roof is real, just depends on timing and what build week the current inventory will last until.

Really sucks, but what can you do? Other than cancel your order and wait even longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 04:24 PM   #13
gaohaibo317
HG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
Quote:

I totally agree with you. The reason for surcharging deposit they gave me was that if I decided to not take the car, a fully loaded car with almost every single option would be harder to sell. We agreed that I can take my money back if the CF roof does not show up to the car.
      02-04-2022, 04:26 PM   #14
gaohaibo317
HG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
I'm thinking this whole "no carbon roof" thing may just boil down to a misunderstanding of BMW's codes on the ordering guide.

The carbon fiber roof is standard on the G80/G82 but it does not have a technical three character option code like everything else does.

The moonroof, by contrast, DOES have a three character option code: "403 Moonroof"

As evidence of this, I've included screen shots of the 2022 G80 ordering guide.

Therefore, when your CA inputs your options there is no way to "request" the carbon roof. It simply comes standard even though there is no item listing that on your build sheet. But when you request the option for the moonroof, that gives you the item on your build sheet: "403 Moonroof"

This doesn't explain why "403 Moonroof" would just randomly show up on your build sheet when you didn't request it. But the absence of "403 Moonroof" should mean you would expect a carbon roof upon delivery.
Thank you for your clarification! And sorry for making a typo from my original post. I meant to say "no moonroof from the first pic" instead of "CF roof". Since steel roof is never an option, I think it is very unlikely that BMW would put nothing on top if they run out of CF.
      02-04-2022, 04:27 PM   #15
gaohaibo317
HG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkid23 View Post
Spoke with my highly knowledgeable CA today. No CF roof is real, just depends on timing and what build week the current inventory will last until.

Really sucks, but what can you do? Other than cancel your order and wait even longer.
Thank you for confirming that. If the moonroof option comes back to my build before production, I'll just cancel my order and take my deposit back.