home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

01-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
cb123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2022 M240i

Switching to Non Run flats

Has anyone switched to Non Run flat Tires ? If yes, What tire did you switch to? Are you happy with your Choice? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Broad Topic.
While the ride quality of RFT's has improved over the past several years, I think most would agree that non-RFT's give a better ride and performance for less money. You only trade away the convenience of driving a limited distance on a flat tire. A flat tire with a non-RFT without a spare means either a call to roadside assistance or using a mobility kit (plug in compressor and tire sealant).
You have to assess your situation and risk tolerance to make this call.

As to non-RFT tire choices, I think you have to establish a few parameters, especially for a high performance car like the 2 series. Are you OK with Summer only tires or All-Seasons? Or do you need a second set of winter tires?
What kind of driver are you? Relatively sedate? Or do you like to push it? Somewhere in between? Durability vs. Performance?

I think the Tire Rack website is a good place to start your reaserch. Because the 2022 2 Series is a relatively new model, plugging it into their configurator will only give you a few stock options. Because it is a G platform, try using the similar 2022 M340 model to see a broader range of choices. I'd confirm with a sales rep as to final compatibility.

I have had good luck with most of the bigger brands, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli when I have bought aftermarket, upscale tires. There will always be slight differences in their numerical ratings and reviews, but for the most part the higher end offerings of these brands will probably satisfy most normal driving demands, and not be an issue with daily driving.

For the record: On my new M240 (which I hope to take delivery of this week), I chose the High performance Tire Package (non-RFTs) It is a staggered set which has 245 width up front and 255s in the rear. I anticipate they will be Michelin PS4's, summer only tire. Because I am in the Northeast, I have already purchased a second set of wheels and tires for winter. Pirelli Sottozero 3's.
There are plenty of good All Season performance tires out there, but I have always enjoyed the driving confidence of having season specific tires on my car,
especially for a perfomance oriented vehicle. More money, and the hassle of changing tires twice a year, and storage, but better seasonal performance and less overall wear per set.
      01-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
cb123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2022 M240i

Great Reply !

Thank you for your very informative reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:07 AM   #4
CTGT2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

I have driven probably over 300k miles in the last 10 years and have only had a flat once. I had neither spare or run flat tires on my last car and for long distances I threw a spare tire and tools into my trunk.

For summer, highly recommend any of the Michelin pilot tires, super sport, pS3/4/5 etc. Expensive but grippy. For a good sport oriented all season tire that will bridge the gap between the all seasons and pure summer tires, the Continental DWS has always been a solid choice. A good sport touring all season I had luck with the Pirelli Cinturato P7. It also gave me wonderful treadlife.
Appreciate 0