BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

View Poll Results: What are you running?
Summer set and winter set 12 85.71%
All seasons all year round 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

05-12-2024, 06:33 PM   #1
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Tristate daily drivers - two sets of wheels or all seasons?

Hey guys,

As I'm waiting for my car to get PPF, I've been thinking. I'm planning on daily driving this car (2024 g80 M3 xdrive) in NJ. I've driven a 2008 335i 6MT RWD with extremecontact all seasons and it's fared well year round.

Now I know that people will say you need summer tires for the summer for max performance but curious if there is truly a significant performance difference with the Pirelli's that came with the car and all seasons. For the winter, the extremecontacts even with RWD and 6MT have been more than fine other than in real snowfall/unsalted roads (in which case I would probably take a different car in my current situation).

Another thought is that even in summer there is heavy rain here at times and will the summer tires allow me to drive with any sort of confidence?

Curious what you guys are running and why - thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 07:37 AM   #2
big_ed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I'm in the same situation as you. I got a set of winters after having the dws on my 08 N54 in NY for a few years.

Tbh given what you said I think you'll fair well with the DWS in this car. I got a set of pirelli corsa I believe for the winter but similar to you if it's that bad out I wont drive the car and the DWS is a good tire all year round, even dare I say close enough or better then the crappy pirelli the car comes with for summer use.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 08:57 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The stock Pirellis were usable in the lightest snow, but got sketchy soon as it was past flurries.

In the rain Pirellis are fairly good, but not as good as Contis would be.

My pick for Tri-State roads are Contis for off-season on stock 825/826, but the 18/19” 824s would be better for bumps and road contact (higher sidewalls). Summer tires go on Apex…preferably 19x10” square, my pick is a 275/285 RE-71RS from Bridgestone. Apex 5Y pattern clean so much easier than BMW Webs do.
      05-13-2024, 02:10 PM   #4
road rage richie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BG M3 Xdrive

I am running P Zero summer and then all seasons.

I just bought a spare set of OEM rims with really lightly used PS4's for about the price of a new set of PS4s. I am going to run Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 PLUS in the winter and swap the sets.

Living on the north shore of LI the temp fluctuations during the winter + lack of snow make it a hard choice. I daily drive but in a blizzard would not go anywhere. What do you do when its 20 degrees one week and 55 or 60 the next and IF there is snow/ice its typically gone in a few days? But over the winter its still cold enough to damage summer tires and warm enough the winter tires could have issues too.

My driving habits are different in the winter and is much more mellow but why risk wrapping the car around a tree to save an insignificant amount of money - the tire cost per mile with 2 sets of tires will over time be very close to 1 relative to the cost of the car. Just higher upfront costs

If I was in the snow belt I would have gotten the 19" snow set.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 11:00 PM   #5
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Compromises.

If you're willing to run an all season all year long then you cannot expect a superior driving experience while riding on a tyre compound meant to work in all seasons. You also cannot put down bigger power on all seasons as they just weren't designed for it, but the upside is you don't have to worry about what mother nature throws at you.

However, if you're okay with running a summer set 5/8ths of the year then a winter set the rest of the time, it means giving up fun driving while the winter set is on; again - compromises.

That being said, personally, I've found that the Alpin 5's are actually pretty decent and can put some power down. They drove perfectly over light snow and I actually had no complaints about them given their intended purpose. I daily drive my G80 with a toddler and family all the time, and given my grave concern for safety - I refuse to not run a winter set during the colder months. When I'm alone, I'll hoon my G80 around and be dumb all year long, but with family in the winter - no risks will be taken, winter wheels go on.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
86zccrx363.00
      Yesterday, 07:38 AM   #6
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Compromises.

If you're willing to run an all season all year long then you cannot expect a superior driving experience while riding on a tyre compound meant to work in all seasons. You also cannot put down bigger power on all seasons as they just weren't designed for it, but the upside is you don't have to worry about what mother nature throws at you.

However, if you're okay with running a summer set 5/8ths of the year then a winter set the rest of the time, it means giving up fun driving while the winter set is on; again - compromises.

That being said, personally, I've found that the Alpin 5's are actually pretty decent and can put some power down. They drove perfectly over light snow and I actually had no complaints about them given their intended purpose. I daily drive my G80 with a toddler and family all the time, and given my grave concern for safety - I refuse to not run a winter set during the colder months. When I'm alone, I'll hoon my G80 around and be dumb all year long, but with family in the winter - no risks will be taken, winter wheels go on.
I couldn't agree more. I drove on the Alpin 5's this past winter and they were really solid in all temperatures we had over the winter in LI. Obviously not an all out performance tire, but they felt like less of a compromise than other dedicated snow tires I have driven in the past that felt dangerous in the warmer/dry weather that we will regularly get in the winter.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #7
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

I've always run dedicated winters and summers. While the days that are in the 50's may lead to slightly higher degradation it's not dangerous on a snow tire. Similarly, when it does snow (if the car is a DD) a dedicated snow will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than a all season. I also feel that compromising an M3 with All Season's is kind of criminal. As others have said, I think having 2 sets of wheels and tires is good insurance and prepaying the second set that you're going to use up anyway. I feel much better running the biggest sidewall possible in the winter when the roads go to hell.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #8
JDR_G80
IG jerseydentrepair IG dravitgrey_g80c
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80c

Never mind the rain/snow, I would get all seasons just for the cold temps. I find the P zeros to spin on a gentle acceleration in the cold.
      Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #9
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

On that note, any recommendations for winter wheel set? What made you guys go with what you chose?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:36 AM   #10
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
On that note, any recommendations for winter wheel set? What made you guys go with what you chose?
My preference is to always go cheap since the salt and road grime will destroy them. There are a couple of canadian companies(toto tires, T1 motorsports and wheelsco) that sell packages for the M3/M4 that are very reasonably priced even after shipping. Tire Rack is also an option, but they have had limited availability of inexpensive wheels for our cars.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:53 AM   #11
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

+1 for Wheelsco. I ended up getting a OEM set from a member here, but if not I was going to get a set from there.
https://wheelsco.ca/collections/bmw-...cts/bmwm3g80wp
Appreciate 1