home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

01-07-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
beamer-dreamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i, Volvo V60 XC

Winter Tires

are people who live in snowy places considering getting a set of winter tires? I'm sure with xdrive the car will at least be somewhat competent in the snow.. i just know that my GTI is great when i put on snow tires..

the other question for folks with 2 sets of wheels, do you store the non used set at the dealer/car place? because i doubt you'll be able to put 4 tires in the m240i
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
JDM_240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i (Thundernight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer-dreamer View Post
are people who live in snowy places considering getting a set of winter tires? I'm sure with xdrive the car will at least be somewhat competent in the snow.. i just know that my GTI is great when i put on snow tires..

the other question for folks with 2 sets of wheels, do you store the non used set at the dealer/car place? because i doubt you'll be able to put 4 tires in the m240i
We just had 6"+ here in Boston. I was crossing the piled up yellow lines to pass stuck cars and plows and was keeping a straight and easy line at 45-50mph on a slushy hw with the all-seasons. If I knew this was going to be a regular weather pattern, I would consider some true snow (maybe next season) but I think Im going to save the funds for an even grippier set for summer.
Appreciate 1
Ruebarb375.00
      01-07-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

If I can find some OEM takeoffs with the summer tires on I will swap out the all-season RFT's for winter tires and swap the wheels every fall and spring.

The Bridgestone RFT's on my car are just like every other all-season tire I've ever had. They are fine until they aren't and then you are sliding out or stuck. I hate putting on and driving with chains.

It makes me very nervous driving on ice with the Bridgestone all-seasons, but I haven't had any problems yet. It's just a comfort level issue. Winters give me that extra level of confidence.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #4
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

I got the OEM staggered winter set which has been great in the snow.

The wheels do NOT fit in the back of the car, which is a shame because I actually could fit all four wheels in the back of my F22, barely. So I'll have to bring the tires over with another vehicle. It makes the process more annoying, but it's only 2x a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post

The wheels do NOT fit in the back of the car, which is a shame because I actually could fit all four wheels in the back of my F22, barely. So I'll have to bring the tires over with another vehicle. It makes the process more annoying, but it's only 2x a year.
That wasn't an option I saw as being available or I would have done that for sure. Unless you are saying you bought a second set of wheels/tires from BMW?

Most recommendations are to run a square setup on a narrow tire for deep snow, but if you are mostly dealing with ice it probably doesn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoebimmer View Post
That wasn't an option I saw as being available or I would have done that for sure. Unless you are saying you bought a second set of wheels/tires from BMW?

Most recommendations are to run a square setup on a narrow tire for deep snow, but if you are mostly dealing with ice it probably doesn't matter.
Second set; I ordered the car with the performance non-RFT which I immediately took off and stored until winter ends. I usually only have to deal with snow a few times a year and if it's so deep that it matters I'll just stay home, so the staggered setup makes sense for me. BMW sells a square set too though.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
lithe
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 GR Corolla, '17 Tundra

Always worth it to get dedicated winter tires/winter wheel & tire set. They are significant improvement in dry cold weather too. Suck-in-all seasons are really a disservice to the car, IMO, they are a compromise in all conditions.

I have Vredestein Wintrac Pro & love them. Nokian of course are awesome too, but more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #8
beamer-dreamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i, Volvo V60 XC

Quote:
Second set; I ordered the car with the performance non-RFT which I immediately took off and stored until winter ends. I usually only have to deal with snow a few times a year and if it's so deep that it matters I'll just stay home, so the staggered setup makes sense for me. BMW sells a square set too though.
do you have a link for the winter set? i was looking and didn't see something specifically for the m240i
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer-dreamer View Post
do you have a link for the winter set? i was looking and didn't see something specifically for the m240i
Part # 36-11-5-A23-FE3 - 19" M Performance Style 898 Frozen Gun Metal Winter Wheel/Tire

Parts sites (including shopbmwusa) only list it for the 3/4 series but the ETK shows it as a compatible part (and it's on my car right now). I drove over to the dealer and had the parts guys look it up to make sure it would work.

EDIT: Basically you just need to go to the dealer and figure it out with them, because none of the public web sites have been updated with what is and isn't compatible,
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

Quote:

Have you tried putting the seat down and putting all four on the trunk / flat seat? Does it fit?

I'm planning on getting winter tires too but definitely would want to lug it in the same car.

Also, do you usually re align the wheels after every swap to and from winters?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 07:39 PM   #11
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3RLD View Post
Have you tried putting the seat down and putting all four on the trunk / flat seat? Does it fit?

I'm planning on getting winter tires too but definitely would want to lug it in the same car.

Also, do you usually re align the wheels after every swap to and from winters?
It didn't work the one time I tried it, but I'd just bought the car and was trying to get the hell out of there. Someone in another thread said they got it to work, but I'm not sure what size tires they had (mine are staggered so the backs are wider). I'll give it another go in a few weeks when I go to swap the summers back on, but I suspect if it works it's a tight squeeze.

I usually wind up getting my car aligned almost every time I swap the wheels, but that's because I live in a pothole-infested hellscape of terribly maintained urban roads and I'm already at the tire shop. I don't think it's necessary just because you're changing wheels.
Appreciate 0