home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

12-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
AriM3G80
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

All season tires year round?

Anyone here drives with all season tires year round? I am debating between getting dedicated winter tires or all season! I live in NYC, but I don't plan on taking the car out when there is snow, so i was thinking on getting all seasons and keep driving when dry during winter. I dont actually mind getting winter setup, but dont have place to store and change twice a year. Also getting just winter tires and using these rims, its bound to damage these knowing how tire shops dont care much when using their tire changing machines!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriM3G80 View Post
Anyone here drives with all season tires year round? I am debating between getting dedicated winter tires or all season! I live in NYC, but I don't plan on taking the car out when there is snow, so i was thinking on getting all seasons and keep driving when dry during winter. I dont actually mind getting winter setup, but dont have place to store and change twice a year. Also getting just winter tires and using these rims, its bound to damage these knowing how tire shops dont care much when using their tire changing machines!
Yes, trying to get away with it currently. I usually get winter tires but I couldn't find any for the 18/19's and didn't want to have to buy rims
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I just bought a set of Michelin A/S 4 for the M4. I did save the PS4s because if I decide to go back to the track, I don't want to tear up the A/S, not to mention the superior dry/warm traction of the PS4s. They are awesome.

But running summer tires in the winter just scares me. It's not so much the lack of cornering traction, but spinning the tires when accelerating and mostly losing a lot of braking effectiveness.

They are called "all season" tires for a reason - you can run them all year long.

And yes, I love these tires. They are not quite as grippy as the PS4s, but they are much quieter, have a softer sidewall so my ride is better, they will last longer, I have traction in the cold and they look fine. And when they do start to give up traction, they do so in a very nice, progressive manner, no surprises.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
AriM3G80164.00