BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Pod Point Install Cancelled

I've just cancelled my install of Pod Point charger.

I've paid them £938 for install, they have taken the money, and unless I've contacted them they have not got back to me. Now they want me to produce a statement from my local council stating I had permission to run a cable over a path with an anti trip cover. I've tried for three years to get my council to go one way or the other on this, and told them such (like most councils) whenever I speak to anyone they say "as long as the anti trip is in place then they can't see it being an issue" but won't give me anything in paperwork, as they don't want to be held responsible for anything.

Now I know that's not Pod Points problem, it's my council, but whenever I've reached out to pod point (phone or twitter) then they have been very pedantic and speaking down to me about it, saying they wont progress till I have it. I've ordered a cable free version on purpose, and it's not their responsibility after it's on my wall anyhow, so don't see how they can be like that.

After I get my money back I'll get a Sync EV installed as would have been my first choice anyhow if they sold a locking port for it, as Pod Point do.

Anyhow, just thought I'd warn people of the issues, if you can have the car on your drive then I suppose Pod Point will be a fine install. Don't go to them if you have any tiny little thing that may cause them to stumble, as they will hold onto your money, and not even email/phone/speak to you unless you reach out.

Makes me feel like they just wanted to hold onto my money, and hope I didn't get in touch... 5 weeks in I've given up.
      11-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Not sure if they do the sync, but I used smarthomecharge.co.uk for my charger and they were so efficient and I was installed within a couple of weeks of starting the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

That's who I'm going with,. so thanks for the confirmation
      11-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, The charger I've ordered from smarthomecharge.co.uk has got a dispatch notification already! they have mailed me a few times to make sure of things. Complete night and day from Pod Point!

Just hope they don't take forever to refund me my money!
      11-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
kevz65
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Well, The charger I've ordered from smarthomecharge.co.uk has got a dispatch notification already! they have mailed me a few times to make sure of things. Complete night and day from Pod Point!

Just hope they don't take forever to refund me my money!
Which one you go for ?
2021 G08 IX3 [ordered]
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Got a Sync EV coming, it's tiny, has penfault built in, and has rfid security built in, so all sorted, should be here Monday, might do an unboxing, but bet there's nowt in the box besides a plastic box 😂

Ordered from smarthomecharge.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #7
SiH1970
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Got a Sync EV coming, it's tiny, has penfault built in, and has rfid security built in, so all sorted, should be here Monday, might do an unboxing, but bet there's nowt in the box besides a plastic box 😂

Ordered from smarthomecharge.co.uk
I’m due to have the Sync EV although installation was abandoned yesterday. Bit frustrating that the company (I won’t name them) had me posting loads of survey photos, declared it a standard install and now say work needs doing in the meter box by a 3rd party electrician before they can complete the install.

They have rescheduled for next Friday and I have an electrician tee’d up to do the necessary in the meantime. Bit frustrating but so long as it is done next week ahead of me receiving my vehicle on the 15th I will be okay with it.

Chose the Sync EV because of it’s small size and simplicity (plus of course the reviews are good) plus wanted untethered. Hope it proves to be a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah snap, small, untethered and has rfid, all good with me
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 05:38 AM   #9
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well the SyncEV has been delivered this morning, marked as received on SmartHomeCharge website, so see how long the install takes now.

My DNO are coming in the morning for a couple of days to replace my supply, and install a 100a fuse, and next Monday my Smart Meter is coming. So we will see.
      11-09-2021, 05:59 AM   #10
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well that was decent, my DNO been in and changed my incoming (dated 1947 so older than I thought!) to a nice 100amp supply.

Old one was..... 30amps! So not a chance in hell of ever being able to use that for a 7+kW charger!

Smarthomecharge contacted me, and being installed on the 24th! So all good

Name:  20211109_112829.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  348.9 KB
Name:  20211109_111611.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  296.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

'USE ASBESTOS TUBE WHEN RE-WIRING' - crikey!

Are you going to have to upgrade your meter tails and consumer unit as well, or are they less 'vintage'?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #12
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

They are to spec apparently, but when the smart meter comes in on Monday the guys from DNO says they will get replaced, as even though electrically they are in spec, the colours are not the modern ones (need blue brown) so the meter guy will change them.

My consumer unit is already upto spec as was replaced in 2011, why they were able to change my supply type. As was double pole with earth bridge in the ceramic one.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #13
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Still had the asbestos fuse in it!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 05:37 AM   #14
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
Still had the asbestos fuse in it!
Most DNO will not remove the asbestos flash/fire guards for two reasons.

1. Asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed so is normally left alone
2. Removing it would increase the risk of fire

There are thousands of properties that have these older type of main service heads and distribution boards and the DNO's don't have the budget to upgrade them all, so unless they are contacted they ignore the issue.
Appreciate 1
the_ape101.50