BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Do I need M Drive package on my xdrive?

What's this all about? Online info is vague. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Not unless you plan on going 175mph on the autobahn.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13433.50
      08-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I believe the OP is asking about the M DRIVE PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE (not the M DRIVER'S PACKAGE)

M Drive Professional:
Developed specifically for track driving with a dedicated Track Mode, the all-new M Drive Professional helps the driver maintain consistent progress in pursuit of the ideal line and the perfect lap. The innovative M Traction Control function allows the driver to achieve the ideal balance of race-car performance and directional stability with the newly integrated wheel slip limitation function of the DSC system, which can be adjusted through ten stages based on road conditions and personal preference. The M Drift Analyzer records the duration, distance covered, and line and angle of a drift with a rating shown on the Control Display. The M Laptimer helps further expand your performance by providing a comprehensive performance overview shown on your instrument cluster or optional Head-up Display. As well as checking their current lap time, the driver can also keep a constant eye on how much quicker or slower they are than their fastest lap of the current session.

M Driver's Package:
In addition to raising the top speed of your BMW M vehicle, the package also includes a unique 1-day high-performance driving class at a BMW Performance Center. The course has been tailored to driving M vehicles through various high-speed exercises, letting you experience the limits of the vehicle in a controlled environment.

I didn't select either of those packages. The advantage of selecting the M DRIVE PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE on an AWD G8x is that it offers you the 10 stage traction control when you switch to RWD mode. For my purpose if I switch to RWD mode it would be to run without any kind of traction control (ex. doing donuts) and honestly I don't think I'll even do that. I'm counting on 4WD Sport mode to be my go-to mode for fun spirited driving...

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13433.50
      08-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKGK20 View Post
If you are talking about the $2500 drivers package that gets you a trip to thermal then no. It’s not worth it. You might be talking about the $900 option which gives you the drift analyzer and 10 stage traction control then yes, you should get that for the xdrive
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #5
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Adaptive View Post
Quote:
If you are talking about the $2500 drivers package that gets you a trip to thermal then no. It’s not worth it. You might be talking about the $900 option which gives you the drift analyzer and 10 stage traction control then yes, you should get that for the xdrive
Yes sorry I'm talking about the package for traction settings not going a million mph. So this is a must for xdrive?
Appreciate 1
M_Adaptive1767.00
      08-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

Quote:
Yes sorry I'm talking about the package for traction settings not going a million mph. So this is a must for xdrive?
I am probably going to use this feature the least but its the feature I’m most excited for. I want to drive the car in awd and rwd but I also don’t want to crash or risk crashing. 500+ hp is a lot in a car and without any traction on a RWD car that could be bad. I don’t want to risk it so I got this option for $900 to feel safer using this mode. It’s a $900 option on 90k car. It’s pennies at the end. Just get it you’ll be happy
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

It's probably an option you may never use especially if you don't plan on driving in the RWD mode.

However, if you're getting XDrive, get it anyway. It allows you to have traction control in the RWD mode; otherwise, you'll have to turn it off completely.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
It's probably an option you may never use especially if you don't plan on driving in the RWD mode.

However, if you're getting XDrive, get it anyway. It allows you to have traction control in the RWD mode; otherwise, you'll have to turn it off completely.
Does anyone know how I can order that one alone and not the m professional package? Or advisor has to do it manually like they do with the all black wheel spec
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #9
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Adaptive View Post
I am probably going to use this feature the least but its the feature I’m most excited for. I want to drive the car in awd and rwd but I also don’t want to crash or risk crashing. 500+ hp is a lot in a car and without any traction on a RWD car that could be bad. I don’t want to risk it so I got this option for $900 to feel safer using this mode. It’s a $900 option on 90k car. It’s pennies at the end. Just get it you’ll be happy
Do you know if you can get the feature added after you already have the car? Any chance dealers can add the software?
      08-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

My research has told me for xdrive models
If never taking to the track= not needed
If taking to the track but not planning to use rwd=probably not needed (value add would be the laptimer app and I think you get an extra drive mode that allows 1 button shut off for the screen and driver assist features)
If planning to engage rwd=maybe needed if you want to hoon with the drift analyzer
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone know how I can order that one alone and not the m professional package? Or advisor has to do it manually like they do with the all black wheel spec
What? What "one" alone?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #12
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Quote:
Quote:

What? What "one" alone?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What? What "one" alone?

Someone here responded that it's 900$? It's showing 2500$ when you build. Can anyone clarify?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #13
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Someone here responded that it's 900$? It's showing 2500$ when you build. Can anyone clarify?
Still not sure what you are referring to. If I look at the rest of the thread, I think you're are asking about the M Traction Control. That is the M Drive Professional option for $900.

For $2,500 you get the M Driver's Package, which doesn't even include the M Traction Control. Here's the description of that package on the BMW website: "In addition to raising the top speed of your BMW M vehicle, the package also includes a unique 1-day high-performance driving class at a BMW Performance Center. The course has been tailored to driving M vehicles through various high-speed exercises, letting you experience the limits of the vehicle in a controlled environment."

So your question "Does anyone know how I can order that one alone and not the m professional package?" doesn't make sense as there is nothing called that.

To recap, there is something called M Drive Professional and something called M Driver's package. Both of which are described on the BMW website.

Does that help?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Still not sure what you are referring to. If I look at the rest of the thread, I think you're are asking about the M Traction Control. That is the M Drive Professional option for $900.

For $2,500 you get the M Driver's Package, which doesn't even include the M Traction Control. Here's the description of that package on the BMW website: "In addition to raising the top speed of your BMW M vehicle, the package also includes a unique 1-day high-performance driving class at a BMW Performance Center. The course has been tailored to driving M vehicles through various high-speed exercises, letting you experience the limits of the vehicle in a controlled environment."

So your question "Does anyone know how I can order that one alone and not the m professional package?" doesn't make sense as there is nothing called that.

To recap, there is something called M Drive Professional and something called M Driver's package. Both of which are described on the BMW website.

Does that help?
That is the M Drive Professional option for $900.

Yes!! Now where does it give me the option to choose during build?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #15
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does that help?

Options
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #16
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does that help?

Options
Got it! Thanks brother!
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Two Completely different things.

M Drivers Package: One is a driving class and raises top speed from 155 to 180.

M Drive Professional: The other is a M Drift analyizer and 10 stage traction control.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #18
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Two Completely different things.

M Drivers Package: One is a driving class and raises top speed from 155 to 180.

M Drive Professional: The other is a M Drift analyizer and 10 stage traction control.
Thank you! Got the m drive . Feel like I may need it since it's an xdrive… also good resell value should I end up selling…
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13433.50
      08-19-2021, 07:54 PM   #19
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! Got the m drive . Feel like I may need it since it's an xdrive… also good resell value should I end up selling…
I got both, because I dont like Governors. And if I decide to tune the car. One of the parameters will be if the speed is unlocked with the tune. Well, the speed will be unlocked with the tune, because I paid for it. And if I dont tune it, 180 is fast enough.

Appreciate 1
      08-20-2021, 07:48 AM   #20
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
I got both, because I dont like Governors. And if I decide to tune the car. One of the parameters will be if the speed is unlocked with the tune. Well, the speed will be unlocked with the tune, because I paid for it. And if I dont tune it, 180 is fast enough.
This is one of the things I hate about BMW. It was nice with a hellcat, no governor. However, I'm not familiar with the tuning process with the speed governor. Is there an additional charge by a tuner to remove the speed governor? If so would it really cost 2500 dollars?
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13433.50
      08-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #21
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
Quote:
This is one of the things I hate about BMW. It was nice with a hellcat, no governor. However, I'm not familiar with the tuning process with the speed governor. Is there an additional charge by a tuner to remove the speed governor? If so would it really cost 2500 dollars?
I've never seen anyone charge over and above the price of a tune to remove the speed Governor. It was always part of the tune. And the M4 tune is going to be like $1,800. I ordered my car before they cracked the ecu, so, I got it removed from the factory, just in case. And half of it is their free 1 day driving class for the $2,500.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #22
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
I've never seen anyone charge over and above the price of a tune to remove the speed Governor. It was always part of the tune. And the M4 tune is going to be like $1,800. I ordered my car before they cracked the ecu, so, I got it removed from the factory, just in case. And half of it is their free 1 day driving class for the $2,500.
I see. I keep on waiting to see more details in regards to tuning this car. I’m really hoping the tuning potential is as good as everyone tells me. I really hope to run mid 9s to low 9s with this car without having to touch the motor or tranny
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13433.50