home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-01-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Let’s discuss steering issues

I watched a YouTube video from a channel called “what’s your forte” and the gentleman describes some serious steering problems. I’ve had my G80 Comp now for 1600 miles. I do you use lane assist once in a while because it’s helpful in certain situations but for the most part I don’t like using it and it’s off. As you all know lane assist only works when you have it turned on and the cruise control is engaged. On this last long trip from Tampa to Atlanta yesterday I did use lane assist for 20 straight minutes and after I noticed the steering acting weird at freeway speeds. Nothing like the guy in his video complained about definitely something noticeable. The feeling like there’s a rolling weight at 6 o’clock position on the steering wheel going back and forth as you move the wheel. So every time turn the wheel slightly to the left or the right like you do when switching lanes or even adjusting in your lane I get the feeling of feedback once I stop moving the wheel. It definitely wasn’t like that prior to yesterday’s trip unless this guys video got to my head and I’m imagining something that’s not there. Anyone else having issues like this? In his video he says he personally knows 15 others with the same problem he has.
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I wouldn't describe it the same as you Mr. Patton (General?) but yes, the steering is a bit wonky. It is either getting better or I'm getting used to it, at 600 miles, but it's definitely different.

Of course, in my experience, BMW electric steering racks are different in every single car I've driven, and I've driven a bunch of them. A total lack of consistency. And the one in my M2 had to be replaced at just a few thousand miles, which as you can imagine took a while to convince BMW that it was not right.

I always have the lane assist off. I hate that thing.

I think there's another thread somewhere about the steering feel on our cars.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I wouldn't describe it the same as you Mr. Patton (General?) but yes, the steering is a bit wonky. It is either getting better or I'm getting used to it, at 600 miles, but it's definitely different.

Of course, in my experience, BMW electric steering racks are different in every single car I've driven, and I've driven a bunch of them. A total lack of consistency. And the one in my M2 had to be replaced at just a few thousand miles, which as you can imagine took a while to convince BMW that it was not right.

I always have the lane assist off. I hate that thing.

I think there's another thread somewhere about the steering feel on our cars.
This is only my second BMW. The first that we still own is a 2020 X3. Now the chassis is definitely not tight and all over the place but the steering is spot on. I hope this doesn’t turn into a worse problem. I’m sure there are no parts for this at this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Is this the Lane keep interjecting or something else. The Lane keep is super annoying if you don't indicate but it seems to not get involved when you do indicate. Is this a separate issue? The car just pulling a bit?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’m sure there are no parts for this at this time.
More than likely it's not a "parts" issue but rather a software issue. How the steering responds to your input is all handled by the computer.

Well, that's not 100% accurate, but let's say that all of the assist is computer controlled. And it's the lumpy manner of the assist that distresses us.

As more of us receive these cars and more of us give feedback to BMW that we're not pleased with the steering feel, they will likely have some fixes for us.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #6
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Is this the Lane keep interjecting or something else. The Lane keep is super annoying if you don't indicate but it seems to not get involved when you do indicate. Is this a separate issue? The car just pulling a bit?
I probably should have been more clear. I apologize. It’s just that the annoyance I am describing feels like the lane assist would react only it’s probably only 3% of the feeling that lane assist would produce when it’s pulling the car back to the lane. Does that make sense?

Mods.- sorry I posted this in the wrong forum
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I get you.

I wonder could it be a bad alignment or tyre pressure related

I haven't experienced it myself outside of lane assist
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Also my steering wheel makes noise when turning around in both directions. It’s hard to describe but it’s like a swirling noise. I suppose that might be normal. But honestly I don’t remember it making that noise in the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Paging NCG80M3....

He had a diagnosis from the dealership after his 1200 mile service and if I heard correctly some parts are on order.
Appreciate 1
NCG80M3662.00
      06-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #10
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Paging NCG80M3....

He had a diagnosis from the dealership after his 1200 mile service and if I heard correctly some parts are on order.
OK. Thanks man. This whole thing is driving me crazy. There is definitely a lot of noises and sounds coming from this car I’m not used to from my other BMW or any other vehicle I’ve ever owned including several Mercedes. Of course this is my first full time M3 so maybe I have a lot to bet use to.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:10 PM   #11
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
More than likely it's not a "parts" issue but rather a software issue. How the steering responds to your input is all handled by the computer.

Well, that's not 100% accurate, but let's say that all of the assist is computer controlled. And it's the lumpy manner of the assist that distresses us.

As more of us receive these cars and more of us give feedback to BMW that we're not pleased with the steering feel, they will likely have some fixes for us.
Brother I hope you are right about it being software because this sucks and ruins the car. I’ll bring it in Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Also my steering wheel makes noise when turning around in both directions. It’s hard to describe but it’s like a swirling noise. I suppose that might be normal. But honestly I don’t remember it making that noise in the beginning.
I have that too and it started out of nowhere one morning
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my 540i does that. It's just (I presume) the steering column.

BMW for me is a real love/hate thing. I love driving the cars. I hate owning them.

Especially new ones, there's almost always some bugs and issues that need resolving. And we (most of us) knew that going in, with the G8x.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #14
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my 540i does that. It's just (I presume) the steering column.

BMW for me is a real love/hate thing. I love driving the cars. I hate owning them.

Especially new ones, there's almost always some bugs and issues that need resolving. And we (most of us) knew that going in, with the G8x.
Well I didn’t know that. LOL. I really don’t have time for issues. I don’t mind there being something wrong so long as they know what it is and can fix it. However if it turns out to be issue after issue this thing will be gone and I’ll go back and get the E63 like I really wanted to begin with. I really only got the M3 because it’s probably the best looking BMW I have ever seen. I know there’s lots of controversy about the grille but I think it’s fantastic and much better looking than its predecessor. Otherwise I would’ve never dropped 90K on the thing. I love the color I have Brooklyn gray as well. In fact I think this is the best looking sedan I’ve ever seen. But that love/enjoyment can easily be erased by continuous problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:33 AM   #15
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Well I didn’t know that. LOL. I really don’t have time for issues.
Who does? Well, I did, back in the day with my E34. Fortunately I had an excellent service manager who took the time to help diagnose issues and get them resolved. Eventually, of course, he moved on and I had to start over with a new manager, who was, comparatively, useless. That was a painful experience.

My F87 was also painful, working through the issues. Sometimes though you just have to be patient, finding either a tech, manager or regional guy who will listen to you and can understand the issue and work to resolve it.

It's easier these days, with the Internet, as we can learn about others with the same or similar issues, share resolutions and sometimes band together to force BMW to pay more attention to us.

So, please be patient. Generally, I've found BMW to be a little stubborn sometimes to deal with, but if you keep on pushing, generally things do get resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #16
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC , 2020 X5, 2021 JLU

So I just received back my report from BMW Corporate regarding my steering.. and guess what.. They found nothing wrong.. which is comical since the quote was "Observed steering wheel not going back to center" followed by working as intended.

I honestly don't know what to do.. but I find it funny that there is quite of few of us popping up.. and BMW is kind of ignoring it. They were quite quick to get out to my local and have field engineer investigate.. but to say that things are working as intended .. well that seems a bit crazy to me..

It completely feels automated to me.. it's not tire or alignment issue..as those usually have a guide to them that is not the same based on crown of the road etc. This does it the exact same way every time. Again, all nannies are off. Click the wheel and just feel the car pull in that direction .. heck you can let it run right into a guard rail ..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 04:11 PM   #17
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G82M4Brooke View Post
So I just received back my report from BMW Corporate regarding my steering.. and guess what.. They found nothing wrong.. which is comical since the quote was "Observed steering wheel not going back to center" followed by working as intended.

I honestly don't know what to do.. but I find it funny that there is quite of few of us popping up.. and BMW is kind of ignoring it. They were quite quick to get out to my local and have field engineer investigate.. but to say that things are working as intended .. well that seems a bit crazy to me..

It completely feels automated to me.. it's not tire or alignment issue..as those usually have a guide to them that is not the same based on crown of the road etc. This does it the exact same way every time. Again, all nannies are off. Click the wheel and just feel the car pull in that direction .. heck you can let it run right into a guard rail ..
That’s completely depressing. What you described is exactly what’s happening in mine and I promise it didn’t do that at first. So those engineers are absolutely full of crap. So that’s what we have to deal with? There’s only two options here. Either they are lying or they’re stupid. It really is that simple.
Appreciate 2
OF Hero1128.50
      06-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #18
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC , 2020 X5, 2021 JLU

Quote:
That’s completely depressing. What you described is exactly what’s happening in mine and I promise it didn’t do that at first. So those engineers are absolutely full of crap. So that’s what we have to deal with? There’s only two options here. Either they are lying or they’re stupid. It really is that simple.
I actually explained it to them like a keyboard key press.. if I tap a letter on a keyboard it types one letter... if I hold down it repeats the letter.. So I said to them let me into the computer so I can record and watch the input ... well we all know they laughed at that .. . to have the exact same outcome every time.. it's gotta be forced.. no matter what air pressure, alignment, driver, etc.. it always does it.
I even said what if I am driving on the highway and sneeze. I tap the wheel and then sneeze again in the left lane.. will you guys admit it if it runs into a wall.

It's definitely not a "normal" thing to just have the car guiding itself across the road and needing to pull it back in..

I am sure glad it's happening to more people.. so I don't feel crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #19
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G82M4Brooke View Post
I actually explained it to them like a keyboard key press.. if I tap a letter on a keyboard it types one letter... if I hold down it repeats the letter.. So I said to them let me into the computer so I can record and watch the input ... well we all know they laughed at that .. . to have the exact same outcome every time.. it's gotta be forced.. no matter what air pressure, alignment, driver, etc.. it always does it.
I even said what if I am driving on the highway and sneeze. I tap the wheel and then sneeze again in the left lane.. will you guys admit it if it runs into a wall.

It's definitely not a "normal" thing to just have the car guiding itself across the road and needing to pull it back in..

I am sure glad it's happening to more people.. so I don't feel crazy.
Hopefully I have time to bring mine in tomorrow. I’ll report back as to what they say. I suspect it will be the same thing you went through. I hope not because that will royally piss me off.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #20
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

OK so I got tired of the steering and brought it in. The service manager from my dealership agreed that there was a problem due to the noise it was making and it just was acting funky. They kept the car and were online troubleshooting with BMW engineers first thing this morning. The engineers had them do a bunch of troubleshooting and they condemned the entire steering column. I have to wait 3 to 4 weeks to get a new one from Germany. Meanwhile they deemed it safe to drive so I can at least pick my car up. I knew there was something wrong. The steering steadily got worse from the day I picked up the car. I’ll keep everyone updated. Apparently I’m not the only one with this problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #21
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [5.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [9.65]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Paging NCG80M3....

Hey so I also have parts on order and it looks like they will have to replace my rack also.

(I am also What's Your Forte on YouTube..FYI)

I was not given a timeline but I am going to reach out to my dealership today.
Appreciate 3
jonahk703.50
Limegrntaln13014.00
      06-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #22
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Thanks for creating this thread for the G8X community. I don't even have my car yet, but I'm watching this thread closely. Sucks that BMW flubbed on the steering racks in some of these 1st year models.

good luck, Patton and Forte. You've certainly given me something to be aware of when I finally get my car.
Appreciate 0