BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
esrt
Second Lieutenant
esrt's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: Multiple M Cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Frozen Portimao MT G80 M3 -- Wheels, Springs, Midpipe and More

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
After a long wait (ordered in November) I took delivery of my custom built G80 in early April. I knew this car was going to be special -- first car that I have ever custom built -- and seeing it in person crystallized that for me. Luckily, I worked with a local performance shop PSI a number of times for other builds in the past (x5m + SC e92) and we have been discussing a build for months...

As opportunities popped up to partner with vendors like IND and others in order to R&D parts thought it would be a fun exercise with this car... with that said -- we installed the following bits.

1) IND Painted Front Reflectors
2) IND Black BMW Badge (Front / Rear)
3) AST Lowering Springs (R&D Version)
4) Titan S5 Wheels (20" on PS4S)
5) Matt Schnell Spacers (10MM R / 12MM F)
6) PSI Mid-Pipe (R&D Version)
More on the way!

some pictures below and initial review

IND bits, absolutely flawless execution. Their ability to paint match such a difficult color was spot on. Everyone knows the quality of their work but seeing it in person is a reminder why they are the go-to for the touches that bring your car to life. The black badging really stands out with the removal of the chrome outer layer. There is a custom ordered steering wheel on the way as well we cannot wait to share!

AST springs, I was actually quite hesitant to put these on. Mostly because in the past springs have never been quality enough and generally ruined the ride. I have coils on the x5m and e92 but since this was an opportunity to R&D took the plunge. I have to say despite my initial reservations the car rides incredibly well. It feels more stable (less bouncy than factory) and planted while generally driving. I actually have so much more confidence in the car. I would characterize the ride as OEM+. I have had a few friends (M owners) drive the car as well and they have all been surprised by the driveability and performance of the springs. I personally would wish the front was a little lower but my understanding is the final product is going to be flush in the front as well. This may be the way to go for many (vs. HAS) at a price point that works really well -- They nailed this!

PSI Mid-pipe, let me start by saying the G80 sounds so much better than the F80. The build quality of the work looks OEM (seriously well done!) and the removal of the secondary cats probably adds a little bit of power but my butt dyno didnt feel it. Lets start with sound when the valve is off -- I like it. As a father (+ pregnant wife) having an exhaust that drones would not work but with the valve switched OFF it is nearly OEM with just a little more volume. Slightly noticeable that it is there but you could just as easily listen to Frozen (for those in the know) or have a conversation without it getting in the way. With the valves turned ON you can really hear the exhaust. It does not drone at all just really amplifies the stock sound. The big difference is you REALLY hear the burbles immediately off throttle. It was a surprise at first as it is not something you hear on a stock exhaust but I rather like it. No CEL or any issue at all with it and love the flexibility to be able to have the stock sound amplified in either setting. The ONE downside with ANY mid-pipe is going to be cold-start. It is LOUD and I do think the stock exhaust does not sound particularly well under the cold-start load. An aftermarket rear-section will solve this but for anyone ordering a mid-pipe just something to note.

TS5 Wheels/Spacers, love them. nothing more to say here other than on 20"s all around with PS4S it is such a treat vs. the OEM Pirellis' (i lost the tire lottery). The CCBs REALLY stand out with the wheels and for now I am digging the gunmetal / matte color that works well with the frozen blue.

Massive thank you to Titan, AST, PSI and IND for helping me start the build and being open to collaborate R&D. More to come!
Attached Images
     
__________________
Current Garage
2011 E92 M3 // ESS G1++ (PSI Built)
2018 F15 X5M // BM3++ (PSI Built)
2021 G80 M3 // Frozen Portimao (PSI Built)
Appreciate 43
02M3ForMe1239.00
Transfer4798.00
evilalien321.00
FreeDarko187.50
khanyam4733.00
CAS_M3111.50
Scorp!on1296.50
JTO243462.00
barryc365680.50
2011ninja861.00
TBMNYS12.00
Sjokosaus178.50
Patton250725.50
CarMan77291.00
isN5454.00
Laoschris157.50
Bahamut560.50
Sedan_Clan13114.50
Junebug85868.00
6speed_M2212.50
NCG80M3336.50
f80tanz61.50
F85MTuNED1441.00
ed4678.50
Ryan@IND1569.50
LimiX4m40149.50
      05-31-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
1140
Rep
997
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Dallas & Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Beautiful car man, congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
4798
Rep
5,790
Posts

Drives: M340i, X3M Comp
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

Looks awesome! It's really too bad CCB option doesn't come with 20" front wheels OEM as the clearance needs them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
esrt
Second Lieutenant
esrt's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: Multiple M Cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Looks awesome! It's really too bad CCB option doesn't come with 20" front wheels OEM as the clearance needs them.
Agreed!! although it makes me wonder if you could squeeze a 19" with some fatter tires for a square track setup.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Absolutely loving this car. Really is a true M car (and materials/finish makes it even more enjoyable).
__________________
Current Garage
2011 E92 M3 // ESS G1++ (PSI Built)
2018 F15 X5M // BM3++ (PSI Built)
2021 G80 M3 // Frozen Portimao (PSI Built)
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 11:43 PM   #5
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
khanyam4's Avatar
Cambodia
733
Rep
1,703
Posts

Drives: NA
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 33.7743į N, 117.9380į W

iTrader: (0)

car is looking sick
__________________
If you do not like the car your opinion is best expressed by not buying it
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
JTO24's Avatar
United_States
3462
Rep
4,850
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW M2 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (7)

Looks incredible!!
__________________
2022 G80 M3 6MT | Skyscraper Gray | Kyalami Orange
2018 F87 M2 6MT | Alpine White
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | Jet Black (sold)
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
FISH22
Second Lieutenant
FISH22's Avatar
United_States
165
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: G80 M3 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Absolutely beautiful and so tastefully executed! This has to be the best Frozen color... and I own a Frozen White G80.

What are the widths/offsets on the wheels if you donít mind sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Major General
United_States
3460
Rep
7,666
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Gorgeous car. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Penguino
Major
Penguino's Avatar
1126
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: A car.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Here

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Looks awesome! It's really too bad CCB option doesn't come with 20" front wheels OEM as the clearance needs them.
Agreed!! although it makes me wonder if you could squeeze a 19" with some fatter tires for a square track setup.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Absolutely loving this car. Really is a true M car (and materials/finish makes it even more enjoyable).
The barrel might not clear the brakes.
__________________
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
SleepingBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
321
Rep
491
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

BMW: *Pays Motorsport engineers to run 10k miles testing on the Nurburgring and fine tuning suspension*

Random customer: *ima '''upgrade''' that suspension the first week it's out with parts made by people who have had no access to the car and a very strict testing budget*

It's your car but you really just throw out all that testing the second you get the car? What do you hope to gain by doing that? A better lap time? How could even know if it's going to achieve that?

I really don't get how you could do that without a season of track time to decide what (if anything) needs fixed.
Appreciate 9
BRIGM394.50
///AVM2455.50
Swappy405.00
EvenKeel398.00
AESZ470.00
SpeedyJ61.00
      06-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #11
frankiebones
Colonel
frankiebones's Avatar
4868
Rep
2,968
Posts

Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
BMW: *Pays Motorsport engineers to run 10k miles testing on the Nurburgring and fine tuning suspension*

Random customer: *ima '''upgrade''' that suspension the first week it's out with parts made by people who have had no access to the car and a very strict testing budget*

It's your car but you really just throw out all that testing the second you get the car? What do you hope to gain by doing that? A better lap time? How could even know if it's going to achieve that?

I really don't get how you could do that without a season of track time to decide what (if anything) needs fixed.
It's primarily for aesthetics.
__________________
Fire Orange 6MT G80 (Miss July, 2021 Cover of Bimmerpost)
SMB M3 CS (gone)
YMB F80 6MT (gone)
Appreciate 2
bjcarls406.00
      06-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
RyanBMW's Avatar
United_States
356
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

What's the Wheels and Tires specs OP?

The rear is sitting a little bit too low.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
erictrainer
First Lieutenant
243
Rep
382
Posts

Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (5)

Beautiful! What wheel offsets and tires size you got?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #14
Patton250
Captain
Patton250's Avatar
United_States
726
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 G80/ X3
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrt View Post
After a long wait (ordered in November) I took delivery of my custom built G80 in early April. I knew this car was going to be special -- first car that I have ever custom built -- and seeing it in person crystallized that for me. Luckily, I worked with a local performance shop PSI a number of times for other builds in the past (x5m + SC e92) and we have been discussing a build for months...

As opportunities popped up to partner with vendors like IND and others in order to R&D parts thought it would be a fun exercise with this car... with that said -- we installed the following bits.

1) IND Painted Front Reflectors
2) IND Black BMW Badge (Front / Rear)
3) AST Lowering Springs (R&D Version)
4) Titan S5 Wheels (20" on PS4S)
5) Matt Schnell Spacers (10MM R / 12MM F)
6) PSI Mid-Pipe (R&D Version)
More on the way!

some pictures below and initial review

IND bits, absolutely flawless execution. Their ability to paint match such a difficult color was spot on. Everyone knows the quality of their work but seeing it in person is a reminder why they are the go-to for the touches that bring your car to life. The black badging really stands out with the removal of the chrome outer layer. There is a custom ordered steering wheel on the way as well we cannot wait to share!

AST springs, I was actually quite hesitant to put these on. Mostly because in the past springs have never been quality enough and generally ruined the ride. I have coils on the x5m and e92 but since this was an opportunity to R&D took the plunge. I have to say despite my initial reservations the car rides incredibly well. It feels more stable (less bouncy than factory) and planted while generally driving. I actually have so much more confidence in the car. I would characterize the ride as OEM+. I have had a few friends (M owners) drive the car as well and they have all been surprised by the driveability and performance of the springs. I personally would wish the front was a little lower but my understanding is the final product is going to be flush in the front as well. This may be the way to go for many (vs. HAS) at a price point that works really well -- They nailed this!

PSI Mid-pipe, let me start by saying the G80 sounds so much better than the F80. The build quality of the work looks OEM (seriously well done!) and the removal of the secondary cats probably adds a little bit of power but my butt dyno didnt feel it. Lets start with sound when the valve is off -- I like it. As a father (+ pregnant wife) having an exhaust that drones would not work but with the valve switched OFF it is nearly OEM with just a little more volume. Slightly noticeable that it is there but you could just as easily listen to Frozen (for those in the know) or have a conversation without it getting in the way. With the valves turned ON you can really hear the exhaust. It does not drone at all just really amplifies the stock sound. The big difference is you REALLY hear the burbles immediately off throttle. It was a surprise at first as it is not something you hear on a stock exhaust but I rather like it. No CEL or any issue at all with it and love the flexibility to be able to have the stock sound amplified in either setting. The ONE downside with ANY mid-pipe is going to be cold-start. It is LOUD and I do think the stock exhaust does not sound particularly well under the cold-start load. An aftermarket rear-section will solve this but for anyone ordering a mid-pipe just something to note.

TS5 Wheels/Spacers, love them. nothing more to say here other than on 20"s all around with PS4S it is such a treat vs. the OEM Pirellis' (i lost the tire lottery). The CCBs REALLY stand out with the wheels and for now I am digging the gunmetal / matte color that works well with the frozen blue.

Massive thank you to Titan, AST, PSI and IND for helping me start the build and being open to collaborate R&D. More to come!
I have been trying to see your car and hear how it sounds forever. Well not forever but two weeks. :-). I have been dealing with Dan at psi and itís been a fiasco. Nobodyís fault really. Bad luck I guess. Iíve gone there twice with no luck to hear this new mid pipe exhaust. Iím not going to commit to buying it until I hear it. What are your thoughts on it?

Absolutely stunningly beautiful car by the way. All the way around. Just gorgeous.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #15
CarMan77
Second Lieutenant
United_States
291
Rep
290
Posts

Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2021 Porsche Cay
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Very well done! Execution is flawless.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #16
m20e3087
Captain
m20e3087's Avatar
United_States
655
Rep
979
Posts

Drives: 2021 M3C
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Solid build man! Which part of Orlando are you? If I see a blue M3 in the Philips area, will chase her down lol. I am also considering the MP.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #17
unfoundnemo
Major
unfoundnemo's Avatar
1049
Rep
1,203
Posts

Drives: 2020 F92 M8
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
It's primarily for aesthetics.
Don't worry, SleepingBMW , we'll see one on bags soon too.
__________________
2020 F92 M8
2020 G07 X7
Gone: 2018 F80 M3 | 2017 F15 X5 | 2016 F16 X6 | 2015 F36 4 series GC
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #18
esrt
Second Lieutenant
esrt's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: Multiple M Cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
BMW: *Pays Motorsport engineers to run 10k miles testing on the Nurburgring and fine tuning suspension*

Random customer: *ima '''upgrade''' that suspension the first week it's out with parts made by people who have had no access to the car and a very strict testing budget*

It's your car but you really just throw out all that testing the second you get the car? What do you hope to gain by doing that? A better lap time? How could even know if it's going to achieve that?

I really don't get how you could do that without a season of track time to decide what (if anything) needs fixed.
You said it best...it is my car... BMW sold a performance sedan that has to make compromises in some ways (it is not a pure focused track car). By releasing a M-Performance parts (e.g. suspension) are they not admitting there is more left on the table that they will sell to you for more??
__________________
Current Garage
2011 E92 M3 // ESS G1++ (PSI Built)
2018 F15 X5M // BM3++ (PSI Built)
2021 G80 M3 // Frozen Portimao (PSI Built)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #19
KevinGS
Major
1245
Rep
1,353
Posts

Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
BMW: *Pays Motorsport engineers to run 10k miles testing on the Nurburgring and fine tuning suspension*

Random customer: *ima '''upgrade''' that suspension the first week it's out with parts made by people who have had no access to the car and a very strict testing budget*

It's your car but you really just throw out all that testing the second you get the car? What do you hope to gain by doing that? A better lap time? How could even know if it's going to achieve that?

I really don't get how you could do that without a season of track time to decide what (if anything) needs fixed.
LOL at lowering the car to improve track times

Come on, Sleeping, almost ALL of us do it for aesthetics. This is all about vanity, not function.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #20
esrt
Second Lieutenant
esrt's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: Multiple M Cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
Solid build man! Which part of Orlando are you? If I see a blue M3 in the Philips area, will chase her down lol. I am also considering the MP.
I will get some video today (need to find a friend to film) and post up for the groups benefit.

For those in Orlando there is an event this weekend that we are attending and happy to have folks see / hear the exhaust or even get a ride with the suspension to get your own take.
__________________
Current Garage
2011 E92 M3 // ESS G1++ (PSI Built)
2018 F15 X5M // BM3++ (PSI Built)
2021 G80 M3 // Frozen Portimao (PSI Built)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #21
esrt
Second Lieutenant
esrt's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: Multiple M Cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
LOL at lowering the car to improve track times

Come on, Sleeping, almost ALL of us do it for aesthetics. This is all about vanity, not function.
__________________
Current Garage
2011 E92 M3 // ESS G1++ (PSI Built)
2018 F15 X5M // BM3++ (PSI Built)
2021 G80 M3 // Frozen Portimao (PSI Built)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #22
Patton250
Captain
Patton250's Avatar
United_States
726
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 G80/ X3
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
BMW: *Pays Motorsport engineers to run 10k miles testing on the Nurburgring and fine tuning suspension*

Random customer: *ima '''upgrade''' that suspension the first week it's out with parts made by people who have had no access to the car and a very strict testing budget*

It's your car but you really just throw out all that testing the second you get the car? What do you hope to gain by doing that? A better lap time? How could even know if it's going to achieve that?

I really don't get how you could do that without a season of track time to decide what (if anything) needs fixed.
I donít know how I missed this post but itís freaking funny. Itís true also. The same goes for the BMW design engineers and the new grille. All these people piss, whining and moaning about it calling it a disaster and meanwhile theyíre selling more of these G80s than they ever did of the predecessor. Itís funny. Everyone is an expert except for the experts with a proven track record. Although none of that has anything to do with the exhaust sounding the way it does. Itís my understanding BMW made it quiet because they had to do it because of regulations. I donít see anything wrong with making the vehicle sound better. As far as messing with the suspension, wheel size and offset I couldnít agree more with you.
Appreciate 1
OF Hero731.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST