BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Bump Stops with Lowering Springs

05-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M440Xi and X3 M40

Bump Stops with Lowering Springs

Does anyone have any advice on what to do for bump stops with lowering springs? It seems only Dinan makes a specific non-stock option. I would assume they work with other springs in similar lowering ranges like AC or Cobra, but wasn't sure if anyone has some real world experience. From what I have read, going stock with lowering may not be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
SJA05
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

I have H&R lowering springs and I used the Dinan bumpstops on my car. I got the H&R springs because Dinan still doesn't have springs for the X-drive M340. Although the Dinan bumpstops are "technically" for non X-drive cars, there were no issues with installation or driving.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 2
SG_E9072.00
      05-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaRob21 View Post
Does anyone have any advice on what to do for bump stops with lowering springs? It seems only Dinan makes a specific non-stock option. I would assume they work with other springs in similar lowering ranges like AC or Cobra, but wasn't sure if anyone has some real world experience. From what I have read, going stock with lowering may not be ideal.
Yes, you can go with any other shorter bump stop. In fact, I believe F30 Msport bump stops are shorter and can be utilized. You can even cut the factory bump stops in half and use the top half. Replacement bump stops are used to maintain proper travel and not much else. If you were to use the originals, you'd constantly be riding on them since the suspension travel is reduced. It would be one jarring ride.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M440Xi and X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Yes, you can go with any other shorter bump stop. In fact, I believe F30 Msport bump stops are shorter and can be utilized. You can even cut the factory bump stops in half and use the top half. Replacement bump stops are used to maintain proper travel and not much else. If you were to use the originals, you'd constantly be riding on them since the suspension travel is reduced. It would be one jarring ride.
I figured as much for needing to do something with them, does cutting the originals have any impact on how they function or are they not progressive?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I figured as much for needing to do something with them, does cutting the originals have any impact on how they function or are they not progressive?
If you look at the Msport or Dinan bump stops, they are shorter and fatter, so any progressiveness of the originals is lost. I don't see a difference if you cut the two lower narrowing rings off your existing bump stops.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
RobG_M340
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340xi

Garage List
1973 Jeep CJ5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Pardon my ignorance, never done lowering springs on my previous cars, but considering on my m340. Is the ride with just the springs and stock bump stops bad or just better with proper ones? Also, how big a difference in drive quality?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #7
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG_M340 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, never done lowering springs on my previous cars, but considering on my m340. Is the ride with just the springs and stock bump stops bad or just better with proper ones? Also, how big a difference in drive quality?
When you lower any car with springs, you shorten the stroke/travel of the shock. The factory bump stops were not engineered for this travel difference and are too long. This causes the car to bottom out and ride on the bump stops which feels really stiff and abrupt. A shorter bumper reduces this issue and improves the ride.

Based on what I've seen, the Dinan bumpstops are all the same for the G20 chassis - so they are by no means tuned specifically to each model; probably chassis only, if that.
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #8
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had my M340ix lowered on ACS lowering springs which are engineered to work with stock bump stops. ACS springs only lower the M340ix by an inch (which is why I went with them) and I've never experienced bottoming out, in fact they have greatly improved handling. The ride IMO is much better than stock with a lot less body roll in cornering and the car feels super planted. They are a little more expensive than other spring kits but but well worth it IMO.
Here's a pic for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #9
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
I've had my M340ix lowered on ACS lowering springs which are engineered to work with stock bump stops. ACS springs only lower the M340ix by an inch (which is why I went with them) and I've never experienced bottoming out, in fact they have greatly improved handling. The ride IMO is much better than stock with a lot less body roll in cornering and the car feels super planted. They are a little more expensive than other spring kits but but well worth it IMO.
Here's a pic for reference.
Msport bump stops are shorter, so I believe it when you say you haven't bottomed out. However, the bottoming out in some instances isn't easily felt, especially if you have limited experiences - not intended to lecture you or pull a knowledge card, just saying.
Appreciate 1