BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
Sean@PSI
Sean@PSI's Avatar
United_States
865
Rep
4,808
Posts

Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oviedo, FL

iTrader: (0)

..::PSI::.. - Taking the G80/G82 Exhaust to the Next Level (PSI G80/G82 Midpipe)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Since we have received the G80 in March, our team has been doing RnD on everything from suspension and fitment, to exterior modification and even exhaust work. We are happy to announce that our G80 Mid Pipe is now out of development and is in the pre-order stages! Check out our video below for a sound comparison!

***After testing we have found this midpipe to fit both the G80 and the G82!***

Pre orders https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1826792






Last edited by Sean@PSI; 05-21-2021 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 10
      05-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
Der_Wolf's Avatar
United_States
671
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: 2021 G82 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

What about G82? Sounds good to me
__________________
|2021 M4 Competition| |2018 M3 Competition| |1994 525i|

///M
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
G80SWFL
Private First Class
60
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: 21 bmw m3
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

No forum discount or preorder special pricing ?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
Sean@PSI
Sean@PSI's Avatar
United_States
865
Rep
4,808
Posts

Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oviedo, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
What about G82? Sounds good to me
Currently that is still under development but will be released soon!
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf670.50
      05-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
Der_Wolf's Avatar
United_States
671
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: 2021 G82 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post
Currently that is still under development but will be released soon!
Great, I will take one at a steep discount to be the first customer
__________________
|2021 M4 Competition| |2018 M3 Competition| |1994 525i|

///M
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #6
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
M3AWD's Avatar
United_States
1768
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

I would've thought two pieces of stainless steel pipes would be cheaper but at least it looks nice & clean, and it actually sounds good based on the video.

Nice alternative for those of us who don't want to invest in a $5k+ exhaust system
__________________

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
Montaver
Major
Montaver's Avatar
1158
Rep
1,027
Posts

Drives: G20 330i & 981 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Have vendors learned nothing from the f8x? Deleting some cats and resonators and claiming it improves the sound is not engineering. This just amplifies the 3 cylinder sound, no better than an S55. If you want to pay for amplified raspy toneless blare I guess this is the ticket.
Appreciate 13
4everkidd1074.00
911r530.50
BimmerFix456.50
j23379.50
ra2289274.50
somer416.00
      05-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
4everkidd
Major
1074
Rep
1,227
Posts

Drives: F80 AY M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I would've thought two pieces of stainless steel pipes would be cheaper but at least it looks nice & clean, and it actually sounds good based on the video.

Nice alternative for those of us who don't want to invest in a $5k+ exhaust system
Is this your first M?

Inflation due to raw material costs... plus M-Tax
Appreciate 1
JTO243462.00
      05-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #9
therealm3
Major
335
Rep
1,450
Posts

Drives: F30 340 MSport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Have vendors learned nothing from the f8x? Deleting some cats and resonators and claiming it improves the sound is not engineering. This just amplifies the 3 cylinder sound, no better than an S55. If you want to pay for amplified raspy toneless blare I guess this is the ticket.
Yeah I am with you. It doesn't sound that good. Maybe it's cause of mic and it is better in person, but all I hear is loud rasp. I guess to some that is cool but I am not into it.

Maybe we need AA to make EL pipes here too?

Would merging into a single pipe like the B58 help? Obviously the under side is not packaged well for that but figured I would ask.
Appreciate 2
Montaver1157.50
      05-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #10
G80SWFL
Private First Class
60
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: 21 bmw m3
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Canít wait to hear catless down pipe
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #11
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
M3AWD's Avatar
United_States
1768
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I would've thought two pieces of stainless steel pipes would be cheaper but at least it looks nice & clean, and it actually sounds good based on the video.

Nice alternative for those of us who don't want to invest in a $5k+ exhaust system
Is this your first M?

Inflation due to raw material costs... plus M-Tax
Not my first M and that's not relevant anyway. It's 2 stainless steel tubes without mufflers or advanced sound engineering. Could be any car and the cost should be the same for same size pipes.

Just because it's an M doesn't mean it should be priced higher than, say a Mustang. But again I think Akrapovic and other fancy exhaust aystems are way overpriced so there's a reference point about my perspective. Your perspective could be different.
__________________

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #12
hellokitty
hello kitty oke?
hellokitty's Avatar
United_States
1561
Rep
2,670
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Have vendors learned nothing from the f8x? Deleting some cats and resonators and claiming it improves the sound is not engineering. This just amplifies the 3 cylinder sound, no better than an S55. If you want to pay for amplified raspy toneless blare I guess this is the ticket.
All of the vendors have one thing in common: to create problems we didnít know we had. Do your own research before throwing your hard earned money at them haha
Appreciate 1
Nettles250.00
      05-18-2021, 08:39 PM   #13
mattburks
Second Lieutenant
320
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: G80 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Argyle, TX

iTrader: (0)

so 3" piping, secondary cat & dual resonator delete with an X or H pipe... I'm not looking to be a jerk - but also fail to see why I can't have my muffler guy do this for substantially less?

Issue being at $1600 in parts- I still have another ~300 of cutting, welding and shop time before I get a chopped factory exhaust. I figure I have 4 attempts at getting it right before being "in the red" and exceeding what this PSI approach would cost. This will also allow me if I want to through a bullet resonator in, or revert from X to H etc...

Might be the next one to carry the guinea pig torch
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #14
RugbyBro
Lieutenant Colonel
RugbyBro's Avatar
3779
Rep
1,777
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Yeah I am with you. It doesn't sound that good. Maybe it's cause of mic and it is better in person, but all I hear is loud rasp. I guess to some that is cool but I am not into it.

Maybe we need AA to make EL pipes here too?

Would merging into a single pipe like the B58 help? Obviously the under side is not packaged well for that but figured I would ask.
B58 is a single turbo into a single mid pipe, so inherently EL. A single midpipe with this twin turbo setup would end up sounding like the single mid on the S55 unless the pipes were equalized prior to the merge. Also, EL won't fix rasp, only resonators will do that. FWIW M engines have always been raspy, but I think it's important to distinguish rasp from the underlying exhaust tone as they are addressed in different ways
__________________
F82 - Current
Appreciate 1
///AVM2455.50
      05-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
RugbyBro
Lieutenant Colonel
RugbyBro's Avatar
3779
Rep
1,777
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
so 3" piping, secondary cat & dual resonator delete with an X or H pipe... I'm not looking to be a jerk - but also fail to see why I can't have my muffler guy do this for substantially less?

Issue being at $1600 in parts- I still have another ~300 of cutting, welding and shop time before I get a chopped factory exhaust. I figure I have 4 attempts at getting it right before being "in the red" and exceeding what this PSI approach would cost. This will also allow me if I want to through a bullet resonator in, or revert from X to H etc...

Might be the next one to carry the guinea pig torch
You could buy prefab parts (pipe, x pipe, mandrel bends etc.) from Summit Racing for a few hundred and have a shop weld it together
__________________
F82 - Current
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 01:51 AM   #16
Kevin_The_Clean1
Major
Kevin_The_Clean1's Avatar
United_States
546
Rep
1,188
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport, 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Campbell, CA

iTrader: (9)

Sean@PSI - very nice mid-pipe you fellas have built. I've always preferred the classy sophisticated sound of an X-pipe compared to a H-pipe.

Will you be developing one for the X3 M that has the very same S58 motor... ?
__________________
2011 335i M-Sport - Daily Driver
2017 M2 - SOLD
2021 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 01:51 AM   #17
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
828
Rep
1,275
Posts

Drives: Just a Porsche
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Netz

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post
Since we have received the G80 in March, our team has been doing RnD on everything from suspension and fitment, to exterior modification and even exhaust work. We are happy to announce that our G80 Mid Pipe is now out of development and is in the pre-order stages! Check out our video below for a sound comparison!

Pre orders https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1826792





Fart cannon.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 05:28 AM   #18
Penguino
Major
Penguino's Avatar
1126
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: A car.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Here

iTrader: (5)

Your muffler shop can do this for a fraction of the cost. They'll cut, weld it, and put it back on the spot. But it will not look this good.

For those that prefer the convenience of just installing this in their house if they want to then they can pay the $1,600.

I really don't understand why vendors price things so high.
__________________
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
Appreciate 1
bmbob174.00
      05-19-2021, 05:43 AM   #19
barryc365
Captain
681
Rep
710
Posts

Drives: BMWM3
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Your muffler shop can do this for a fraction of the cost. They'll cut, weld it, and put it back on the spot. But it will not look this good.

For those that prefer the convenience of just installing this in their house if they want to then they can pay the $1,600.

I really don't understand why vendors price things so high.
I think this requires welding too and you have to cut it where the existing factory welds are so it's not a bolt on but yes it really doesn't make much sense it this price point
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #20
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
MilehighM3's Avatar
690
Rep
3,316
Posts

Drives: Harrop E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (14)

Anyone else notice how the revs are much higher on the green car vs. the stock setup, which changes the burble. Also, it sounds like it's in sport + vs. the stock setup being in sport. That alone completely changes the burble.

Oh and good lord that car is raspy...
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #21
OneCleanBMW
First Lieutenant
173
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Cold Town

iTrader: (2)

Buy it if you want don't buy it if you don't want. Everyone has opinions and yet nobody has installed it. The price is the price. If you don't like it then go hack your car up at a muffler shop, or leave it stock. Forum posts should typically be used to contribute opinions, I get it. However, we should also show some class to a company who has provided all this info, and media. They didn't design the car, they're simply doing the best with what they've got. If you want an F90 sound then go buy an F90.

FYI - M Tax is nothing compared to supercar tax. Tuning a 720s is $5,000 minimum, from a known tuner. Catted downpipes are $5,000 minimum. Labour is stupid high, I'm about the spend the cost of this mid pipe, in labour alone, installing downpipes on my car. This same mid pipe on a non-M would be a lot less because of the volume of people they can sell to. Performance parts are about volume. They're not here to only help the community, the long-term play is $$$. Which is good, more R&D for future products.

Sean@PSI - do you have any pics of the primary cats? When these cars get cracked, would this mid-pipe be an issue when removing the primary cats in favor of test pipes? Is there a way to leaves the valves in the muffler open 100% of the time?
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
frankiebones
Colonel
frankiebones's Avatar
4868
Rep
2,968
Posts

Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

mkoesel is it time for a dedicated "Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust/Tuning" subforum?
__________________
Fire Orange 6MT G80 (Miss July, 2021 Cover of Bimmerpost)
SMB M3 CS (gone)
YMB F80 6MT (gone)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2021 bmw m3, 2021 m3 exhaust, g80, g80 exhaust, g80 midpipe, mid pipe

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST