denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Racechip GTS Black install

Does anyone have specific install instructions for the Racechip GTS Black on X6M or X5M? Need to see what is involved and where the sensors are located,

THX.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro

there's nothing specific about the install... easy peasy.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_fcuk View Post
there's nothing specific about the install... easy peasy.
What parts need to be removed besides the engine cover? Any of the cross bracing, air box etc?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 11:04 PM   #4
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
What parts need to be removed besides the engine cover? Any of the cross bracing, air box etc?
nothing needs to come off of the f95/96 if you can wiggle your hands on the sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

The real question here is, does any of this piggy back, RaceChip Black, Jb4, piggy back stuff actually work?
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Does anyone have specific install instructions for the Racechip GTS Black on X6M or X5M? Need to see what is involved and where the sensors are located,

THX.
I do include my instruction before I ship them to the customers.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
orkinos185.50
      05-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
Wbasch
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

This thread and others like it are so frustrating. Can someone just provide a 0-60 time with/without race mode enabled on a G05 40i? If one more person answers that their car feels faster…..If you only have a watch, average over several runs.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #8
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I do include my instruction before I ship them to the customers.
Thanks Ben. I am in Canada and I am trying to give some much needed support to local business. We are still in full lockdown until June. I bought the gts black locally and it is less expensive than usd/CDN exchange and additional shipping and customs clearance. However, I also want to to support guys like you that give back to this forum that’s why I will be buying the brake pads from you as well when they become available. This forum is for sharing information so thought someone might have instructions before my racechip arrives in about a week.

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbasch View Post
This thread and others like it are so frustrating. Can someone just provide a 0-60 time with/without race mode enabled on a G05 40i? If one more person answers that their car feels faster…..If you only have a watch, average over several runs.
Good luck with that.
Not everyone have draggy and not everyone have open back road to do a run.
Even if I took my time to do it, most of you guys gonna think that I am biased, lol.

Quote:
Thanks Ben. I am in Canada and I am trying to give some much needed support to local business. We are still in full lockdown until June. I bought the gts black locally and it is less expensive than usd/CDN exchange and additional shipping and customs clearance. However, I also want to to support guys like you that give back to this forum that’s why I will be buying the brake pads from you as well when they become available. This forum is for sharing information so thought someone might have instructions before my racechip arrives in about a week.
The reason I am being tough on this, is because reseller should provide you with one.
Technical support and documentation.
That's why a reseller gets discount. To compensate their time in promoting and supporting their customers, not just leave them hanging after the sales.

Go ahead email me and I'll send you the instruction that I made.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

What to do...

I am at a quandary. I bought a Racechip Black from Ben for my '21 F95, and it's been sitting in the shrink-wrapped box since I ordered.

I had been holding off on the install until I got past my 1200mi break-in, both to avoid taking it off prior to service and figuring it was better to let the break-in happen under "normal" conditions.

I was speaking with my long-time service advisor yesterday, who has been very helpful over the years in problem solving and getting things warrantied that perhaps BMW did not have to.

We got on the subject of chip tuners, and he said that new BMW diagnostic software can tell immediately if a chip tune or anything else has been done to a car. The diagnostic is looking at things as varied as lbs of boost above certain levels, engine temps--a whole bunch of things. And as soon as the OBD is plugged in, the tech gets a message.

He said that in the past, their sofware did not do this, and their dealership did not GAS about mods. Now, he's saying that the software phones home to BMW and flags the VIN as having invalidated the drivetrain portion of the warranty--regardless of whether a maintenance problem could even remotely be tied to the chip tune.

This has made me very reluctant to install the Racechip. F95 engine repairs are not cheap, and while I have had no issues on my previous car with a Racechip, I always pulled it off before service. No harm/no foul.

I am aware that Racechip and others say that they protect the warranty, but in practical terms, would one be forced to pay out of pocket to a dealer and then hope that Racechip, in a timely manner, would pay without further trying to put off or blame some other root cause?

Have others heard this about the diagnostic software?

On my F15, I had a very hard to diagnose issue with my transfer case which took a lot of fighting with BMWNA to get them to warranty. It was close to $10 had I to pay out of pocket, so the possibility of them denying an unrelated claim because it's part of the drivetrain scares me.

Anyone interested in a brand new in the box Racechip perhaps?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-21-2021, 11:56 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I am at a quandary. I bought a Racechip Black from Ben for my '21 F95, and it's been sitting in the shrink-wrapped box since I ordered.

I had been holding off on the install until I got past my 1200mi break-in, both to avoid taking it off prior to service and figuring it was better to let the break-in happen under "normal" conditions.

I was speaking with my long-time service advisor yesterday, who has been very helpful over the years in problem solving and getting things warrantied that perhaps BMW did not have to.

We got on the subject of chip tuners, and he said that new BMW diagnostic software can tell immediately if a chip tune or anything else has been done to a car. The diagnostic is looking at things as varied as lbs of boost above certain levels, engine temps--a whole bunch of things. And as soon as the OBD is plugged in, the tech gets a message.

He said that in the past, their sofware did not do this, and their dealership did not GAS about mods. Now, he's saying that the software phones home to BMW and flags the VIN as having invalidated the drivetrain portion of the warranty--regardless of whether a maintenance problem could even remotely be tied to the chip tune.

This has made me very reluctant to install the Racechip. F95 engine repairs are not cheap, and while I have had no issues on my previous car with a Racechip, I always pulled it off before service. No harm/no foul.

I am aware that Racechip and others say that they protect the warranty, but in practical terms, would one be forced to pay out of pocket to a dealer and then hope that Racechip, in a timely manner, would pay without further trying to put off or blame some other root cause?

Have others heard this about the diagnostic software?

On my F15, I had a very hard to diagnose issue with my transfer case which took a lot of fighting with BMWNA to get them to warranty. It was close to $10 had I to pay out of pocket, so the possibility of them denying an unrelated claim because it's part of the drivetrain scares me.

Anyone interested in a brand new in the box Racechip perhaps?
It is a game of poker.

Who is caling the bluff.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:25 AM   #12
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

I wanted to have ecu remap for my G05 but then heard from firend of mine who works in BMW that their software will recognize automatically (even when normal service) that ecu had been altered. And when warranty is still active it will have a lot of problems…
Maybe with racechip it is not that easy for BMW to discover that something has been done🤔
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2021, 05:08 AM   #13
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

I installed a TT on my 2019 the day it arrived on the transporter last week. There is no way for BMW to detect a piggyback tuner. None. The person that said this is either bluffing, or doesn't know the difference between a piggyback and a flash tune. I've flash tuned many cars, never had a problem, not concerned with warranty at all as I only ever do Stage 1.

Flash tune on new BMW's is a disaster. I had a BM3 tune on my 2019 330i, I loved it, but the first OTA software update cancelled the tune and bricked the ECU. PTF was able to remotely unbrick it (I don't know how I remained calm). For the ECU to be reflashed it had to be removed and bench unlocked. In addition, if another OTA update was permitted, it would be relocked. My understanding is the 2021's have new Bosch encryption and cannot be flash tuned at all. I gave up and sold it and after researching piggybacks bought a TT. It works fine, they work the same, just add boost, but the TT has standard Bluetooth functionality and a nice app. It's also the cheapest by a long shot.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #14
speedyman
Banned
Rep

I understand that a full flash tune of an ECM would be easily recognized and flagged or whatever its called and void the warranty to some extent, no real surprise there considering the degree of technological sophistication that exists.
A JB4/RaceChip that interrupts signals etc. and commands 3, 4, 5lbs more boost has been considered undetectable up until recently. Is the BMW scanning software able to recognize this continuous over boosting enviornment? Does the cars ECM then send a flag of sorts to Big Brother about this or is it disclosed only by dealer scan?
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The car has no idea additional boost is being added. That's how piggyback tuners work.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #16
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have no reason to doubt my service advisor. As I said, he's been very customer friendly and is not working for the Man. Maybe he knows, maybe he does not.

What he did say is that their software is looking at logs of boost, engine temp, post-turnoff engine fan run time, fuel flow rates, etc. I have no idea if a RachChip affects these or whatnot.

Some input from anyone with an recent, intimate knowledge of what their software does detect, would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #17
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
The car has no idea additional boost is being added. That's how piggyback tuners work.

Interestingly, the service advisor did mention that before everything was turbocharged, they had no way of knowing.

Again, he was saying that it was not a dealer thing (although they are owned by a huge mega dealer) but a BMW thing. Dealer said they were fine with them and never flagged.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #18
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I have no reason to doubt my service advisor. As I said, he's been very customer friendly and is not working for the Man. Maybe he knows, maybe he does not.

What he did say is that their software is looking at logs of boost, engine temp, post-turnoff engine fan run time, fuel flow rates, etc. I have no idea if a RachChip affects these or whatnot.

Some input from anyone with an recent, intimate knowledge of what their software does detect, would be helpful.
Boost will always read within OEM specs. Engine temp, post-turnoff engine fan run time, fuel flow rates can all be maxed out in a stock car driven hard too. So what.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #19
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Boost will always read within OEM specs. Engine temp, post-turnoff engine fan run time, fuel flow rates can all be maxed out in a stock car driven hard too. So what.
Not sure sure how accurate this is. Boost can be seen to run well above stock parameters when JB4 logs are examined.
Certainly would not lose any sleep over this but I question just how absolutely invisible this type of technology is in reality but that will not stop me from using any of this whiz bang stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #20
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The JB4 knows how much boost is being added.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #21
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I know with the latest Harleys, if some kind of flash tune/piggyback tune is or was installed on the bike, as soon as the dealer hooks up the dealer tech scan tool, it will see the tune and immediately notifies Harley HQ's who thereby flags the powertrain warranty. Even though many have removed the tune prior to a dealer visit, they were still caught.

Since our vehicles cost so much and though the piggyback tunes look great on paper, I'm certainly not taking the chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:06 AM   #22
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A piggyback tuner just adds boost. What good would it be on a Harley?
Appreciate 0