BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

04-09-2021, 03:47 AM   #1
Jono Brighton
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Apple Car Play - Apple Maps and connectivity

OK; there's the problem. When I am using Apple Car Play my iPhone needs both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection to the car (128ti). All good!

BUT if I try to navigate using Apple Maps then the phone tries to get navigation directions from the web via the wifi connection (rather than its 4G/5G data connection) Because I don't have a data plan for the car it won't connect to the net therefore no directions. The ONLT solution i have found is to switch off the wifi for a moment and then switch on again. Not elegant!

Anyone else had the same problem - or better yet, fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:51 AM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Brighton View Post
OK; there's the problem. When I am using Apple Car Play my iPhone needs both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection to the car (128ti). All good!

BUT if I try to navigate using Apple Maps then the phone tries to get navigation directions from the web via the wifi connection (rather than its 4G/5G data connection) Because I don't have a data plan for the car it won't connect to the net therefore no directions. The ONLT solution i have found is to switch off the wifi for a moment and then switch on again. Not elegant!

Anyone else had the same problem - or better yet, fixed it?
Yes, common problem and fixes documented on other threads. Essentially you need to delete the pairing of the phone from both car and phone.

I seem to have more success when I've deleted the car from the iphones CarPlay menu in Settings first.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
gosta100
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 116d

Hi,

sorry to hijack your topic but I have a relevant question. I will order F40 with Live Cockpit Professional, is Apple Carplay available on that one? This is what the salesperson told me...
Can I connect my Android phone with that?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosta100 View Post
Hi,

sorry to hijack your topic but I have a relevant question. I will order F40 with Live Cockpit Professional, is Apple Carplay available on that one? This is what the salesperson told me...
Can I connect my Android phone with that?
It might be, Apple CarPlay (and I assume Android Auto) are part of the Connected Package Plus or Professional. In the UK, I don't think it's possible to have Live Cockpit Pro without one the above but I would double check you have one of the Connected Packages to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
gosta100
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 116d

I have the Connected Professional Package but will confirm with the dealership just to be sure...
Appreciate 0