BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2021, 04:18 AM   #1
osracing
Private First Class
osracing's Avatar
Czech_Republic
75
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: BMW 1er Coupé
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Czech Republik

iTrader: (0)

Video: Best current ///M cars on race track

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Appreciate 9
      04-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
13957
Rep
19,674
Posts

Drives: '22 Porsche Carrera S (soon!)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in a 992 Carrera C2S!!!

iTrader: (26)

Looks like a fun day.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR8688.50
      04-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
8689
Rep
25,930
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMWs to "ALL" US states

iTrader: (4)

super cool

M2 looks so small next to the two, G8x def are big
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 2
am3r1ka1136.50
VCP1380.00
      04-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
ShockArrival
First Lieutenant
ShockArrival's Avatar
United_States
345
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: G80 Search
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: STL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Looks like a fun day.
Indeed! Thanks for sharing!

__________________
Hunting for a G80 | 997 911 C2S AS/Blk 6MT SC SOUL
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #5
P1
Major General
P1's Avatar
United_States
8358
Rep
9,878
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

That M2 is a little stunner...
Appreciate 1
VCP1380.00
      04-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
Studntloan
Studntloan
387
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS / E30 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (4)

Love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 02:08 AM   #7
NathObeaN
Lieutenant
NathObeaN's Avatar
United Kingdom
557
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

It's funny because I thought I was beginning to warm to the G8x and be less offended by its looks but when you see it side-by-side next to an M2 CS you realise how much they've screwed up and how stunning the M2 CS is.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
M3AWD's Avatar
United_States
1965
Rep
1,618
Posts

Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
It's funny because I thought I was beginning to warm to the G8x and be less offended by its looks but when you see it side-by-side next to an M2 CS you realise how much they've screwed up and how stunning the M2 CS is.
I had two chances to see G8x's in the showroom with an M2 CS just a few feet away, one in black and one in hock silver, and you could tell the G8x is the new design where the M2 CS is the old design. Don't get me wrong I think the M2 design is more "beautiful" but to me the G8x is so attractive in person that I don't even notice the other BMWs in the showroom. There's something about the G8x presence that I cannot describe.

I took my wife to see them in person, and she's one who says all BMWs look the same (including M5, M8, etc.) and she liked the G80. It's just different and at this point we can only guess how it'll age
__________________

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 4
m20e3087692.00
manuelf214.00
      04-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #9
M2CS
Private
M2CS's Avatar
321
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2 CS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I had two chances to see G8x's in the showroom with an M2 CS just a few feet away, one in black and one in hock silver, and you could tell the G8x is the new design where the M2 CS is the old design. Don't get me wrong I think the M2 design is more "beautiful" but to me the G8x is so attractive in person that I don't even notice the other BMWs in the showroom. There's something about the G8x presence that I cannot describe.

I took my wife to see them in person, and she's one who says all BMWs look the same (including M5, M8, etc.) and she liked the G80. It's just different and at this point we can only guess how it'll age
Bro, non-enthusiast can't tell you if a Ferrari 360 is a newer design than a 488. The G8x interior is definitely a sign it's a new design, but the overall exterior design doesn't date anything... it just looks different.
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
Nkr15
First Lieutenant
Nkr15's Avatar
United_States
465
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2021 M3
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post

Bro, non-enthusiast can't tell you if a Ferrari 360 is a newer design than a 488. The G8x interior is definitely a sign it's a new design, but the overall exterior design doesn't date anything... it just looks different.
A non-enthusiast will say you have a poverty 2 series with a autozone hood and eBay wheels instead of acknowledging a M2CS. If you want to impress non enthusiasts just buy a 20 year old Gallardo and put on scissor doors.

The g80 exterior/grille will be planted on every other bmw probably and once that's done you will be able to tell from a mile away that the tiny grill means the car is dated and even 228i owners will be able to differentiate.
Appreciate 1
M3AWD1964.50
      04-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #11
M2CS
Private
M2CS's Avatar
321
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2 CS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
A non-enthusiast will say you have a poverty 2 series with a autozone hood and eBay wheels instead of acknowledging a M2CS. If you want to impress non enthusiasts just buy a 20 year old Gallardo and put on scissor doors.

The g80 exterior/grille will be planted on every other bmw probably and once that's done you will be able to tell from a mile away that the tiny grill means the car is dated and even 228i owners will be able to differentiate.
Hopefully what you say is true because if only 20% of people like the big grills they'll be hoping for a more "dated" look.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
Nkr15
First Lieutenant
Nkr15's Avatar
United_States
465
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2021 M3
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post

Hopefully what you say is true because if only 20% of people like the big grills they'll be hoping for a more "dated" look.
You realize bmw is pretending to be Apple right? Apple took away the headphone jack and everyone raged. Now they don't even give you a charger and the phones still fly off the shelves.

The designer doesn't care if you like it or not, you can go buy a used bmw with the old style front by all means. Meanwhile cars are going for $20,000 over and major dealerships are sold out for months.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
M3AWD's Avatar
United_States
1965
Rep
1,618
Posts

Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I had two chances to see G8x's in the showroom with an M2 CS just a few feet away, one in black and one in hock silver, and you could tell the G8x is the new design where the M2 CS is the old design. Don't get me wrong I think the M2 design is more "beautiful" but to me the G8x is so attractive in person that I don't even notice the other BMWs in the showroom. There's something about the G8x presence that I cannot describe.

I took my wife to see them in person, and she's one who says all BMWs look the same (including M5, M8, etc.) and she liked the G80. It's just different and at this point we can only guess how it'll age
Bro, non-enthusiast can't tell you if a Ferrari 360 is a newer design than a 488. The G8x interior is definitely a sign it's a new design, but the overall exterior design doesn't date anything... it just looks different.
The fact that the exterior is different and the grill being the biggest differentiator will let every non-enthusiast know that this is a newer design, simply because they've never seen it before.

The new grill is on the 4er & M3/M4, soon on the i4 & iX, and later on other BMWs, so it'll be very obvious to everyone what's new & what's old.
__________________

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #14
M2CS
Private
M2CS's Avatar
321
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2 CS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
You realize bmw is pretending to be Apple right? Apple took away the headphone jack and everyone raged. Now they don't even give you a charger and the phones still fly off the shelves.

The designer doesn't care if you like it or not, you can go buy a used bmw with the old style front by all means. Meanwhile cars are going for $20,000 over and major dealerships are sold out for months.
Apple has cult-like followers that are "locked" into their eco-system. There is no system that BMW owners are locked into and there are seriously good cars being offered by the competition. A take it or leave it approach by BMW might not work as well for them as it may for Apple. The LCI model will give them the opportunity to make changes that are better received by the market.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #15
Nkr15
First Lieutenant
Nkr15's Avatar
United_States
465
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2021 M3
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post

Apple has cult-like followers that are "locked" into their eco-system. There is no system that BMW owners are locked into and there are seriously good cars being offered by the competition. A take it or leave it approach by BMW might not work as well for them as it may for Apple. The LCI model will give them the opportunity to make changes that are better received by the market.
Last I checked it's the only decent sedan with a manual left, unless you want to pay $50,000 over msrp for a Cadillac with a 2005 interior.

Mercedes is making a 4 cylinder c63, Audi is automatic only. Lexus and Acura are boring. BMW has you "locked in". They know these people have nowhere to go, myself included. Best to embrace the grille with open arms.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #16
M2CS
Private
M2CS's Avatar
321
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2 CS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Last I checked it's the only decent sedan with a manual left, unless you want to pay $50,000 over msrp for a Cadillac with a 2005 interior.

Mercedes is making a 4 cylinder c63, Audi is automatic only. Lexus and Acura are boring. BMW has you "locked in". They know these people have nowhere to go, myself included. Best to embrace the grille with open arms.
It having a manual is irrelevant. Only a small percentage of enthusiasts care about a manual, they're not enough to make a model profitable. What matters is what the masses want and if BMW's product is better than what Mercedes and Audi is offering. Remember the masses aren't going to the track and they aren't going to be drifting around corners. If a vehicle being boring was a bad thing, SUV sales wouldn't be so high. The average buyer isn't going to think an RS5 is more boring than a M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 03:44 AM   #17
manuelf
Private First Class
214
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

BMW M is doing a good balancing act imho.
The upcoming G87 M2 will have most likely the smaller grills. At the same time it will be smaller and lighter. (It being based on the G29 platform with mixed in parts from other high end BMW platforms looks promising)
According to bmwblog, it will come with cfrp roof. Something the F87 series only had in the very expensive M2 CS.
Summary for the upcomming M2:
S58
Axles and suspension tech from new M4
New carbon bucket seats
Manual option

I expect the normal/competition G87 to easily outrun the current M2CS in any area with a much lower price tag. The ideal car for people, who can't warm up to G80 size and looks.
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN556.50
      04-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #18
NathObeaN
Lieutenant
NathObeaN's Avatar
United Kingdom
557
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

My goodness. Some of the comments... "but the grilles show everyone you have a newer car"... who the hell cares? What a vein and meaningless approach to owning a car. You should be seeking a car that YOU find beautiful and YOU enjoy. If you have to say "it's growing on me" or justify the looks with "but it stands apart from the older cars" then that speaks volumes in itself. If the main criteria is 'change' and 'standing out' then what's the point in having a artist and/or designer. Drive around in a clown suit, buy a $100k watch you can flash at people and let a child design your car. They'll come up with something crazy.

So sad to see people's approach to cars boil down to "but I want to look good and show people I have new stuff" rather than seeking non-compromising innovation and beauty. If that's the case, BMW are giving people what they want and deserve.

As a car enthusiast it pains me when I see people take out unmanageable finance agreements or constantly seek the next 'new' thing because they're scared of missing out and/or want to posture to everyone around them and gain likes, approval and kudos. That's not what cars are for people, but that's human nature I guess. Shame it's so unhealthy.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1313.00
      04-03-2021, 05:41 AM   #19
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
1313
Rep
727
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
My goodness. Some of the comments... "but the grilles show everyone you have a newer car"... who the hell cares? What a vein and meaningless approach to owning a car. You should be seeking a car that YOU find beautiful and YOU enjoy. If you have to say "it's growing on me" or justify the looks with "but it stands apart from the older cars" then that speaks volumes in itself. If the main criteria is 'change' and 'standing out' then what's the point in having a artist and/or designer. Drive around in a clown suit, buy a $100k watch you can flash at people and let a child design your car. They'll come up with something crazy.

So sad to see people's approach to cars boil down to "but I want to look good and show people I have new stuff" rather than seeking non-compromising innovation and beauty. If that's the case, BMW are giving people what they want and deserve.

As a car enthusiast it pains me when I see people take out unmanageable finance agreements or constantly seek the next 'new' thing because they're scared of missing out and/or want to posture to everyone around them and gain likes, approval and kudos. That's not what cars are for people, but that's human nature I guess. Shame it's so unhealthy.
I couldn't care less what other people might think about my car.

I wanted an M3, I get my M3.
First I wanted the F80 (that's the one I really have fallen in love with) but they stopped producing and finding one in good conditions is nearly impossible here in Switzerland as they get "tuned" like sh** and mistreated.

So the G80 came out. I like the grill in person (on pictures it's a nono) and it's a hell of a car regarding tech and engine.
So I ordered one.

p.s. here in Switzerland People tend to call you a douche if you drive a BMW.
And also here: I SO don't care

I wanted an MT Sport Sedan. Ze M3 it is !

*edit*
Also I don't give a **** if it's the newest or whatever, I just wanted a new car because I love the experience of ordering one and getting it. I plan to keep it quiet long and prefer to have warranty and so on.

But I get your point, it's the same with iPhone. Some people always want the newest, just to feel special. It's idiotic, but everyone as he likes it. I use my stuff as long as they work.
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN556.50
      04-03-2021, 05:46 AM   #20
NathObeaN
Lieutenant
NathObeaN's Avatar
United Kingdom
557
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
My goodness. Some of the comments... "but the grilles show everyone you have a newer car"... who the hell cares? What a vein and meaningless approach to owning a car. You should be seeking a car that YOU find beautiful and YOU enjoy. If you have to say "it's growing on me" or justify the looks with "but it stands apart from the older cars" then that speaks volumes in itself. If the main criteria is 'change' and 'standing out' then what's the point in having a artist and/or designer. Drive around in a clown suit, buy a $100k watch you can flash at people and let a child design your car. They'll come up with something crazy.

So sad to see people's approach to cars boil down to "but I want to look good and show people I have new stuff" rather than seeking non-compromising innovation and beauty. If that's the case, BMW are giving people what they want and deserve.

As a car enthusiast it pains me when I see people take out unmanageable finance agreements or constantly seek the next 'new' thing because they're scared of missing out and/or want to posture to everyone around them and gain likes, approval and kudos. That's not what cars are for people, but that's human nature I guess. Shame it's so unhealthy.
I couldn't care less what other people might think about my car.

I wanted an M3, I get my M3.
First I wanted the F80 (that's the one I really have fallen in love with) but they stopped producing and finding one in good conditions is nearly impossible here in Switzerland as they get "tuned" like sh** and mistreated.

So the G80 came out. I like the grill in person (on pictures it's a nono) and it's a hell of a car regarding tech and engine.
So I ordered one.

p.s. here in Switzerland People tend to call you a douche if you drive a BMW.
And also here: I SO don't care

I wanted an MT Sport Sedan. Ze M3 it is !
And that is fair enough my friend. I have no issue with people who genuinely love the G80 and having taken one for a test drive think "wow, I need this!" I just get tired of the Instagram culture of "look what I got!".

The car scene has become a shallow mess ever since social media took the world by storm. But BMW and other car manufactures probably love that . Don't even need to plan obsolesce anymore, the people are doing it themselves!
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1313.00
manuelf214.00
      04-03-2021, 05:58 AM   #21
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
1313
Rep
727
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
And that is fair enough my friend. I have no issue with people who genuinely love the G80 and having taken one for a test drive think "wow, I need this!" I just get tired of the Instagram culture of "look what I got!".

The car scene has become a shallow mess ever since social media took the world by storm. But BMW and other car manufactures probably love that . Don't even need to plan obsolesce anymore, the people are doing it themselves!

I am so with you on this point...I mean I appreciate seeing pictures of different specs on Instagram, but as you said, cars have become a "look what I got I am soooo special" thing.
But checking this board here there are still plenty of enthusiast who are looking for a sports car which fulfills their needs.

And I like it a lot to read here (whether it is the G80 or other BMW Model boards).
So much knowledge and experience exchange. I love it!

To your point with Brands who love that:
In the end every car manufactor is a company trying to earn money...so yes they love that, because this people there advert your car and people then tend to buy it to feel "special".
So...sad thing? yes...but inevitable because that's how the world works.

I for myself thank BMW (looks apart) to offer us such a great car and especially offering us still a MT in this segment. I had tears in my eyes when they confirmed this
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #22
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
M3AWD's Avatar
United_States
1965
Rep
1,618
Posts

Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
My goodness. Some of the comments... "but the grilles show everyone you have a newer car"... who the hell cares? What a vein and meaningless approach to owning a car. You should be seeking a car that YOU find beautiful and YOU enjoy. If you have to say "it's growing on me" or justify the looks with "but it stands apart from the older cars" then that speaks volumes in itself. If the main criteria is 'change' and 'standing out' then what's the point in having a artist and/or designer. Drive around in a clown suit, buy a $100k watch you can flash at people and let a child design your car. They'll come up with something crazy.

So sad to see people's approach to cars boil down to "but I want to look good and show people I have new stuff" rather than seeking non-compromising innovation and beauty. If that's the case, BMW are giving people what they want and deserve.

As a car enthusiast it pains me when I see people take out unmanageable finance agreements or constantly seek the next 'new' thing because they're scared of missing out and/or want to posture to everyone around them and gain likes, approval and kudos. That's not what cars are for people, but that's human nature I guess. Shame it's so unhealthy.
I agree with your comment but I'm not sure if it's directed at me because if it is then you're talking nonsense as I never said or implied any of what you're saying. I was responding to someone who was saying you can't tell what's newer vs. what's older, and I responded in general according to design language.

I've been driving an F30 for 7+ years so I don't care about owning the newest car. I find the new design very attractive and aggressive and would love to own such special car regardless what others think. I don't give a crap about social media and people's fake image. I can afford much more than a G80 if i want to, but I have family to take care of and even the G80 isn't an easy decision based on my priorities in life.
__________________

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1313.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST