BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Knocking on sudden braking

03-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #1
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Knocking on sudden braking

Bear with me here... I am scheduled to bring my 330i into the dealership this afternoon to look at a rear knocking sound when coming to an abrupt stop. The best way to describe it is it sounds like there is something loose rolling around in the trunk (there isn't) and my worst fear led me to believe the exhaust manifold is loose or something up with the rear suspension.

At the beginning of the week, I was able to replicate it every time, but fast forward 5 days, I can't hear it at all! The only thing I can think of is that my gas tank is close to empty... There's no chance in hell I was hearing the gasoline slosh around on a full tank... RIGHT?! Am I that stupid? I've never heard this is any of my previous cars, granted I am a new to the BMW family.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan703 View Post
Bear with me here... I am scheduled to bring my 330i into the dealership this afternoon to look at a rear knocking sound when coming to an abrupt stop. The best way to describe it is it sounds like there is something loose rolling around in the trunk (there isn't) and my worst fear led me to believe the exhaust manifold is loose or something up with the rear suspension.

At the beginning of the week, I was able to replicate it every time, but fast forward 5 days, I can't hear it at all! The only thing I can think of is that my gas tank is close to empty... There's no chance in hell I was hearing the gasoline slosh around on a full tank... RIGHT?! Am I that stupid? I've never heard this is any of my previous cars, granted I am a new to the BMW family.
Sounds like the fuel level.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #3
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Sounds like the fuel level.
Guess I'm just crazy then. I took it into the dealer and they said it was completely normal. To me it sounds like something hitting the undercarriage of the car, but I'll accept being wrong!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Guess I'm just crazy then. I took it into the dealer and they said it was completely normal. To me it sounds like something hitting the undercarriage of the car, but I'll accept being wrong!
I've noticed it too. It's he brakes, they are a little graby.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Man, I still can't shake that this sound is "normal". Anyone had any issues with a loose fuel tank or something? There seems to be a correlation with the fuel level (when the tank is empty or full, little to no knock. When half-full or a third, it's pretty obvious). To me, it doesn't sound like a normal sound from a brand new vehicle, but the dealer was adamant that it was a normal sound and they even made me seem like I was being paranoid. It's starting to really frustrate me. I can't zone it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Definitely grabby brakes. This sound happens when coming to a complete standstill. So I'll go up to say 30-40, hit the brakes moderately hard, hear all those normal momentum/brake grabbing sounds and THEN once the car lurches back I hear a knocking. Sounds like something swinging in the undercarriage or something loose in the trunk. Exhaust and battery in the back seem secure and I see nothing else that looks off. Handling is fine so I don't think suspension is the issue either. I can't replicate it by going over a speedbump and I don't hear the knocking in any other situations. So strange.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely grabby brakes. This sound happens when coming to a complete standstill. So I'll go up to say 30-40, hit the brakes moderately hard, hear all those normal momentum/brake grabbing sounds and THEN once the car lurches back I hear a knocking. Sounds like something swinging in the undercarriage or something loose in the trunk. Exhaust and battery in the back seem secure and I see nothing else that looks off. Handling is fine so I don't think suspension is the issue either. I can't replicate it by going over a speedbump and I don't hear the knocking in any other situations. So strange.
maybe is the toll adapter? in my g21 was not properly attached to its place, hidden on the left sode of trunk, behind a removable panel. Sound when brakibg hard.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarba View Post
maybe is the toll adapter? in my g21 was not properly attached to its place, hidden on the left sode of trunk, behind a removable panel. Sound when brakibg hard.
Good shout, will check that now.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

I wasn't happy with my dealer's assessment, so I took it to another BMW dealership. Their service department agreed that the sound was out of the ordinary and took a deeper look for a couple of hours. Just received a call that the sound is coming from a "the rear suspension bushing compressing"... And that's it. According to them nothing appears to be damaged or broken and therefore not covered by warranty. That's not good enough IMO. I'll be picking up my car shortly and will have another discussion with them F2F.
Appreciate 0