BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
BRIGM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Where are the Frozen Portimao Blue Owners / Pics?

I currently have my Frozen PB in production, but surprised to not see any posts from owners yet.

Don't be shy, show us that sweet frozen paint!

Last edited by BRIGM3; 03-17-2021 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: title change
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIGM3 View Post
I currently have my Frozen PB in production, but surprised to not see any posts from owners yet.

Don't be shy, show us that sweet frozen paint!
Frozen seems to be pretty rare. People think they are hard work to look after, which is relatively true as you can't just touch up a scratch or polish it out, but I think the trade off is worth it for the looks. Excited to see your car!
      03-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
Yakyak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Frozen seems to be pretty rare. People think they are hard work to look after, which is relatively true as you can't just touch up a scratch or polish it out, but I think the trade off is worth it for the looks. Excited to see your car!
Is it true about scratch and so ? i never get a frozen so far, but i am in love with the frozen blue. on my f83, in 4 years i never did a single scracth anyway so not sure it is relevant for me
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
tbh I also didn't take it because of the price, somewhere I had to make the cut..
otherwise Frozen Dark Grey or Frozen PB would have been lovely !
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

I would have gone frozen dark grey but 2 reasons, #1 I refuse to pay $5,000 when it's $2,500 in Canada and the cars are on the same assembly line. #2 you have to wrap the car in PPF and full coverage is about $8-10,000 on top of the $5,000 for the paint. I can't see myself spending $125,000(including tax and ppf) on a fully loaded m3. My build with IOMG is already $107k after tax.

You're going to want full PPF because if you get dings and scratches (which you will) it's easier to peel off the sticker instead of repainting or replacing the panel.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1514.50
      03-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakyak View Post
Quote:
Is it true about scratch and so ? i never get a frozen so far, but i am in love with the frozen blue. on my f83, in 4 years i never did a single scracth anyway so not sure it is relevant for me
Yes and no. A lot of the fear is exaggerated from my research of frozen and magno owners, it's usually people that don't own them that are negative, which tells me it's more perception than actuality.

Frozen paint follows an identical process of 'normal' paint until the clear coat is applied. The clear coat, the final layer, is applied unevenly basically which creates the matte look; which is just the light being bounced off in multiple directions. This means, though, that you can't just buff out or polish a minor imperfection as you would create a clear effect and polish out the uneven clear coat. It is also difficult to spray just an area or even a panel due to the difficulty in matching. It also means though that smaller imperfections are harder to see unless under direct light at certain angles.

It is also much easier to clean, as it requires just a wash, and there are plenty of cars and owners with this paint, whether it be from BMW or Mercedes and others, who have had no major issues at all. Most people just get a matte ceramic coat, which is what I plan to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
I would have gone frozen dark grey but 2 reasons, #1 I refuse to pay $5,000 when it's $2,500 in Canada and the cars are on the same assembly line. #2 you have to wrap the car in PPF and full coverage is about $8-10,000 on top of the $5,000 for the paint. I can't see myself spending $125,000(including tax and ppf) on a fully loaded m3. My build with IOMG is already $107k after tax.

You're going to want full PPF because if you get dings and scratches (which you will) it's easier to peel off the sticker instead of repainting or replacing the panel.
PPF will protect against minor marks and scuffs from things like clothes or bags brushing against it, but anything that presses into, or of course tears it, will go through to the paint as well, including stone chips. It's a very thin layer of protection for $8-10k and I have no plan to do it for that reason, it also dulls the look slightly. I'll just respray the whole car or a large part if I have to for not much more than the PPF price at the end of the ownership, if required of course. I may do the front for potential small chips but would do that for metallic as well.
Scorp!on1514.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
Andrae26852.00
      03-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
BRIGM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
PPF will protect against minor marks and scuffs from things like clothes or bags brushing against it, but anything that presses into, or of course tears it, will go through to the paint as well, including stone chips. It's a very thin layer of protection for $8-10k and I have no plan to do it for that reason, it also dulls the look slightly. I'll just respray the whole car or a large part if I have to for not much more than the PPF price at the end of the ownership, if required of course. I may do the front for potential small chips but would do that for metallic as well.
This. My plan is to skip the PPF, and just do a ceramic coat formulated specifically for matte finishes. If I get rock chips, so be it. And like you, if the paint is in rough shape in a few years, I'll spend the money that would have gone towards PPF on a new paint job.

I still can't believe we haven't seen a Frozen PB yet. I believe there was a Frozen white posted recently.
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIGM3 View Post
Quote:
This. My plan is to skip the PPF, and just do a ceramic coat formulated specifically for matte finishes. If I get rock chips, so be it. And like you, if the paint is in rough shape in a few years, I'll spend the money that would have gone towards PPF on a new paint job.

I still can't believe we haven't seen a Frozen PB yet. I believe there was a Frozen white posted recently.
Attached Images

03-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #9
SubzeroF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5

Here's a few pics of my frozen blue G80. Paint looks like a satin blue in person. My main concern is the long term strength and condition of the paint. After a 75 mile ride home I managed to get a little knick in the paint. It's a car and I know things like this happens so I'm not too concerned. I will be looking into ppf at some point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 13
BRIGM3118.50
OF Hero1134.00
02M3ForMe4278.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
HK484.00
Jcali861479.00
chicagofan0019313.50
Scorp!on1514.50
GOLFFRR10873.00
GuyOh1067.00
DS_BMW1618.50
jermoni96139.00
      03-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes and no. A lot of the fear is exaggerated from my research of frozen and magno owners, it's usually people that don't own them that are negative, which tells me it's more perception than actuality.

Frozen paint follows an identical process of 'normal' paint until the clear coat is applied. The clear coat, the final layer, is applied unevenly basically which creates the matte look; which is just the light being bounced off in multiple directions. This means, though, that you can't just buff out or polish a minor imperfection as you would create a clear effect and polish out the uneven clear coat. It is also difficult to spray just an area or even a panel due to the difficulty in matching. It also means though that smaller imperfections are harder to see unless under direct light at certain angles.

It is also much easier to clean, as it requires just a wash, and there are plenty of cars and owners with this paint, whether it be from BMW or Mercedes and others, who have had no major issues at all. Most people just get a matte ceramic coat, which is what I plan to do.

One of the main purposes of PPF is to protect the car from rock chips. And rock chips will happen. It's not a matter of chance. Sure PPF won't protect you if you get hit by a massive pebble that flies at your bumper, but it's going to make a whole world of difference with rock chips/road rash, dings, scratches, etc. as it's designed for that specifically. It ain't a scam.

And with all paints (glossy and matte), unless you go to excruciating lengths of paint correction including wet sanding the rock chips and touching up the chips by hand, a "normal" paint correction they do (which includes a touch-up pen to rock chips) before applying PPF won't smooth out the dimple created by the chips at all. And PPF will only magnify paint imperfections like rock chips to your eye. So, if you want PPF you should plan on going straight from dealer to detailer, or else it's not worth the hassle and price. And I guess the question of getting PPF really comes down to how much protection/care you want to invest into that specific car, and whether things like road rash and scratches bother you.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Not trying to make out it's a scam at all, I even said I'd be getting it applied to the front of the car for stone chips. I just don't think a full body PPF application is necessary, but I'm also not saying not do it; just that I won't be.
      03-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
esrt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple M Cars

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
This color is extremely hard to capture in pictures.

I tried my best to the visual representation in attached. It is a dark matte in the light.
Attached Images

2022 Model X // Plaid
2020 Porsche Taycan // 4S Performance
Appreciate 1
BRIGM3118.50
      03-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I feel the frozen colors work so good on G8x a lot more so then previous models. ITs the first time im def leaning towards one maybe this model.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #14
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I love the frozen PB on the G80. I am pretty OCD about rock chips etc and mostly other ppl not giving a f*** about other people's vehicles to the point where I think frozen paint would give me more anxiety than I could deal with for a DD. But I'll sure enjoy looking at others!

If you can stomach the stress then I think it will be well worth the risks!
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1514.50
chicagofan0019313.50
      03-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #15
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
I love the frozen PB on the G80. I am pretty OCD about rock chips etc and mostly other ppl not giving a f*** about other people's vehicles to the point where I think frozen paint would give me more anxiety than I could deal with for a DD. But I'll sure enjoy looking at others!

If you can stomach the stress then I think it will be well worth the risks!
My thoughts exactly! Absolutely love the frozen PB on the G80 but just don't want the worry that would come with the paint and the inevitable scratches, dings, nicks, etc. I'll worry enough with the other paint options as it is!

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Gdiddy23907.50
      03-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #16
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Not trying to make out it's a scam at all, I even said I'd be getting it applied to the front of the car for stone chips. I just don't think a full body PPF application is necessary, but I'm also not saying not do it; just that I won't be.
You have the right idea. PPF the front bumper and hood along with the mirrors and under the door handles (Important). Also a small strip over the rear bumper in case you drag something out of the trunk. I have had some sizeable rocks and it does leave a mark but it is amazing how the ppf heals itself so you can't see the mark anymore after a while. You then can coat the whole car in Ceramic. This will protect the rest of your car and make it easier to wash and maintain. I have a frozen dark grey G22 that I did this way. I live in Canada and after 9 months the car is near perfect. As others have pointed out the paint is a satin finish so it does have a little bit of a shine. (Not a true flat paint) It really hides small scratches quite well and you really have to look hard to see any because of how the paint hides imperfections. A good matte detailer makes minor marks etc disappear quite well. I have found that the Frozen paint has been much easier than a clear coat to take care of. Everything thing came to less than $2500 cdn
with the 3 yr coating. Very much worth the price if you are spending that much on a car.
Hope this helps people to not fear getting Frozen paint as it is quite unique and shows the contours of the car like no other finish can.
Appreciate 2
Jcali861479.00
chicagofan0019313.50
      03-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Yes Wayner
Appreciate your post man! That's exactly what I'll do.
PM me some frozen grey shots of you car or link a thread; I'd love to check it out! Thanks
      03-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #18
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes Wayner
Appreciate your post man! That's exactly what I'll do.
PM me some frozen grey shots of you car or link a thread; I'd love to check it out! Thanks
Here you go. On another note I also put a ceramic coating on the Merino leather. It works fantastic. Lasts for a year at a time and super easy to apply.
All the best
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #19
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Absolute fire!
      03-18-2021, 08:02 PM   #20
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Absolute fire!
Thanks
I noticed on another thread the mention of that the PPF won't match the rest of the car. I had them use the new 3m matte PPF and you literally cannot see the difference it's so slight. I believe after the ceramic is applied which is on top of the PPF also it's perfectly blended.
Appreciate 2
Jcali861479.00
Salespunk1752.50
      03-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #21
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner View Post
Quote:
Absolute fire!
Thanks
I noticed on another thread the mention of that the PPF won't match the rest of the car. I had them use the new 3m matte PPF and you literally cannot see the difference it's so slight. I believe after the ceramic is applied which is on top of the PPF also it's perfectly blended.
Thanks, lots of great info!

Apologies if I derailed the thread slightly OP! Hopefully we see some more FPB. It's my second color choice if I can't get FDG for any reason.
      03-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #22
esrt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple M Cars

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
To be clear, has someone tried to PPF only the front half of car without visibly seeing the difference on the rear of the car where it is not PPFd?

Have heard some stories that this does not work well at all on BMW frozen colors and as a result you are forced to either PPF the whole car or just ceramic coat it and move on with life (which is where I am leaning myself for my FPB ordered M3).
2022 Model X // Plaid
2020 Porsche Taycan // 4S Performance
Appreciate 0