BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

SPY/YAS M4 and IOMG/KO M3 Sit-in Impressions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
hey folks - had a chance to check out the new cars at a local dealer in Toronto (where I placed the order). Unfortunately was not allowed to start up the car after numerous times asking to my SA and the sale manager.. oh well

View post on imgur.com

Context: per my sig I am not coming from previous M cars or anything of this caliber, but I have spent some decent seat time in the current gen C63 and RS5, as well as the X3MC during my shopping process.

elephant in the room: like many who have seen the cars in real life, the design look better in the flesh. The grill really doesn't look good in 2D photographs and stick out like a sore thumb but the actual car works decent for me who love the aggression. Tho I really can't think these would look good with North American square plates on the front, I think either you risk the tickets or hang it on the side JDM style...

The 45-degree view pic is prob closer to "real life observation" given you are not gonna look at the grill head-on, from a an angle looking down the shape already looks less outrageous

Rest of the looks: So I now understand the comments about the cars looking big (and factually heavy). Esp on the G80 with the wide rear haunch the car looks huge.

I personally like the lines and shape of the G82 more, really does remind of a mini-M8. Tho I wish the rear haunches are a bit more pronounced like how the current C63 is...

The exhaust pipes are fat, can totally fit a fist in there lol

The two launch colours are well covered here and on the internet, but seeing them in real life reassured me about SPY. With the green hue the color is def not banana yellow a la Porsche Racing Yellow. IoMG while in pics look quite bright, from some angles do look quite dark and I'd call it almost a teal colour.

Both cars had black rims, the 826M is quite a looker in black!

Seats (from about 10min sitting inside): My main motviation for going tonight was to check out the carbon bucket seats and if I fit. Being 6'2 and 240lb, I'm def a victim of the COVID-19(lbs) ... Glad to say, with the bolster in the loosest setting, I fit just fine without feeling pinched. It's def tighter than the sport seats in the Audi S/RS cars, the X3MC seats and the normal C63 seats, with key diff coming from the leg bolsters. But i found the C63 AMG Performance seats to be a bit tighter than the M Carbon Buckets on the side. The carbon bits between the legs didn't bother me at all from a sitting comfort POV. Love the exposed carbon finish!

Rest of Interior: The cars were trimmed in full leather interior (i.e. stitched upper door panel, stitched lower dash), not sure if extended leather would have the stitched leg rest? The carbon steering wheel is the obvious highlight, the paddles in carbon are so so cool. As it's the full leather package, quality is obv great. Rest of interior impression no diff than normal G20/G22. I do find the front cubby a bit small, my Galaxy S20 Ultra with a case on def won't fit on the wireless charger

The wheel itself is no diff than other late BMW M models however, thickness felt similar to X3M, which itself is the same as F90 M5, which is to say, might be too thick

As the pic shows it's pre-prod software, the dash shows a X5 image LOL ... Forgot to get pics in of the various screens (will do that if I have to go in again to sign more papers over next few days). I played around with the set-up screen, the new M gimmick screens, and the M-Mode button, the latter brings the compact double-tach gauge that's much better than default one below. But all a bit useless to play through without actually driving the car

Last edited by DecemberStorm; 11-02-2020 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: epic fail uploading pics..
Appreciate 13
Scorp!on1510.00
GOLFFRR10710.50
spuntyb4051.50
tke743738.50
ct335i119.50
VCP1390.00
Remonster821.00
overcoil3068.50
Bon F80127.00
VIERsr2620.50
M2Crew219.00
      11-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So also took the opportunity to get the order in. Unfortunately the finance mangers all left when I went so allocation numbers etc gotta wait til tomorrow. Might need to go in to sign papers, if so I will try to take more pics and maybe videos... My planned spec (very similar to the showroom car):

Quote:
M4 Competition RWD
  • Sao Paolo Yellow
  • Yas Marinas Blue Extended Leather
  • 19''/20'' 826M Black Perf non-RFT
  • Carbon Fiber Trim
  • M Carbon Bucket Seats

Premium Package
  • M Drive Professional
  • Automatic Trunk
  • Universal Remote Control
  • Ventilated Seats (removed on carbon buckets)
  • Galvanic Controls
  • BMW Laserlight Headlights
  • Parking Assistant Plus w/Surround View
  • Head-Up Display
  • BMW Drive Recorder
  • Wireless Charging w/Extended Bluetooth and USB
  • WiFi Hotspot

Advanced Driver Assist Package
  • Traffic Jam Assistant
  • Driving Assistant Professional
For the Canadian members here.. the cars will be at Parkview Mon- Wed, then it will be shipped off to Autohaus dealership in Thornhill for a few days (apparently these 2 are the highest volume stores...) then they will head west to Vancouver. The cars have like 20km on the odo and was delivered here on a flatbed, so I guess no chance anyone will get to drive the thing.

Ordering wise, you can submit now as its Nov tho no clues about interest rates or residuals yet. It doesn't sound like the take rate is very high for the HEA cars and most buyers are looking at custom build, first batch is for March delivery. FWIW M3 is hardest to source as apparently there are only 9 allocations in the entire GTA for the first batch. AWD availability is being pushed to year end is the latest words...
2011ninja3318.00
clee1982796.00
      11-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice, thanks for the input

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

Nice! Congrats on the order. I saw it in Houston a couple weeks back and luckily the SA let me turn it on and get it a few rips. Sounds incredible in person
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

thanks for posting.
i wonder why all these models popping up in US/Canada dealerships seem to have all-black 825M wheels on the G80 but that's not even an option in the ordering guide??? (you can only get Orbit Grey or bi-color silver)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix924 View Post
Nice! Congrats on the order. I saw it in Houston a couple weeks back and luckily the SA let me turn it on and get it a few rips. Sounds incredible in person
ya heard excuses from "pre-production" to "dealer principle took the keys home" to "we are indoor dont wanna pollute" .. weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK24 View Post
thanks for posting.
i wonder why all these models popping up in US/Canada dealerships seem to have all-black 825M wheels on the G80 but that's not even an option in the ordering guide??? (you can only get Orbit Grey or bi-color silver)
ya i noticed that... its def not final spec as the cars had Micheline PSS tires, while production should have PS4S, with Cup 2s no charge option as well
      11-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
BATM2N
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Do you know what's the price difference for AWD option?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATM2N View Post
Has not been released yet but 4k euro is the difference on the German Configurator.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATM2N View Post
nobody knows... the words yesterday was

SOP is gonna be summer and release for sale is def towards year end

pricing prob wont be out until they update 2022 model year as a whole
      11-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Congrats on the order, let us know soon what she's like to drive when your new car gets delivered!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #11
M235Montreal
BMW Lover
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
So also took the opportunity to get the order in. Unfortunately the finance mangers all left when I went so allocation numbers etc gotta wait til tomorrow. Might need to go in to sign papers, if so I will try to take more pics and maybe videos... My planned spec (very similar to the showroom car):

For the Canadian members here.. the cars will be at Parkview Mon- Wed, then it will be shipped off to Autohaus dealership in Thornhill for a few days (apparently these 2 are the highest volume stores...) then they will head west to Vancouver. The cars have like 20km on the odo and was delivered here on a flatbed, so I guess no chance anyone will get to drive the thing.

Ordering wise, you can submit now as its Nov tho no clues about interest rates or residuals yet. It doesn't sound like the take rate is very high for the HEA cars and most buyers are looking at custom build, first batch is for March delivery. FWIW M3 is hardest to source as apparently there are only 9 allocations in the entire GTA for the first batch. AWD availability is being pushed to year end is the latest words...

Surprised to see a Fellow Canadian ordering a non XDRIVE Car , this car will be riot on 2WD and practically undrivable in winter . Congrats on the order though , i will await the reviews first and for me it will have to be an Xdrive for certain at this power levels
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Nice write up. I really want to get the SPY and the yas seats. I'm just not sure I could pull it off in some situation
Appreciate 3
Rev_Hi296.50
CityLife197.50
      11-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235Montreal View Post
Surprised to see a Fellow Canadian ordering a non XDRIVE Car , this car will be riot on 2WD and practically undrivable in winter . Congrats on the order though , i will await the reviews first and for me it will have to be an Xdrive for certain at this power levels
ha maybe im influenced by all my friends who daily C63s and F82s year round.. lesser issue in general as i don't have a commute
      11-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Seats (from about 10min sitting inside): My main motviation for going tonight was to check out the carbon bucket seats and if I fit. Being 6'2 and 240lb, I'm def a victim of the COVID-19(lbs) ... Glad to say, with the bolster in the loosest setting, I fit just fine without feeling pinched. It's def tighter than the sport seats in the Audi S/RS cars, the X3MC seats and the normal C63 seats, with key diff coming from the leg bolsters. But i found the C63 AMG Performance seats to be a bit tighter than the M Carbon Buckets on the side. The carbon bits between the legs didn't bother me at all from a sitting comfort POV. Love the exposed carbon finish!
Any chance you noted where the passthroughs hit on your shoulder? Are the high enough for the multi-point? Asking for another plus sized driver....
      11-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
At the risk of derailing this thread, I need to say the following: RWD with proper winter tires combined with an LSD makes for a capable snow driven car, no matter how the HP and TQ outputs are. It's all about throttle modulation. My M2 with Blizzaks was nearly unstoppable.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #16
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Quote:
At the risk of derailing this thread, I need to say the following: RWD with proper winter tires combined with an LSD makes for a capable snow driven car, no matter how the HP and TQ outputs are. It's all about throttle modulation. My M2 with Blizzaks was nearly unstoppable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Quote:
Agreed. Ran m4 with blizzaks. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #17
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

OP, can you clarify on the seats. Are you speaking about the carbon buckets and are they tighter than the X.3 M competition seats?! Did I read that correctly
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Nice spec choice, congrats.
      11-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #19
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Quote:

There are many who have no issues driving M cars all year round so good on you for using it all 12 months of the year.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      11-04-2020, 10:08 PM   #20
M235Montreal
BMW Lover
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
There are many who have no issues driving M cars all year round so good on you for using it all 12 months of the year.

Agreed of course, the Difference now though is that i think you must run the same Wheel size for winter as well , whereas the F80 or F82 could accommodate 18'' Wheels as a winter setup . the G80 i think you will get stuck with 20'' Rear and 19'' front for the Winter setup , i would worry more about the road hazards and inevitable winter potholes if what i said is true

regards
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #21
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post

Agreed of course, the Difference now though is that i think you must run the same Wheel size for winter as well , whereas the F80 or F82 could accommodate 18'' Wheels as a winter setup . the G80 i think you will get stuck with 20'' Rear and 19'' front for the Winter setup , i would worry more about the road hazards and inevitable winter potholes if what i said is true

regards
The current generation of M cars with the Ediff are super easy to drive in snow.

I don't see a reason to go 20s but if the rotors are similar to M2c you'll have to run 19s which is what many of us are doing already.

35 profile tires are more than adequate for winters & roads in Canada. I honestly don't notice the difference between the 255/40/18 on my F80 M3 and 255/35/19 on my M2c.

On the other hand the size and weight of this car just seems to make more sense to pair it with xdrive. Sucks for guys who have been driving rwd M cars year round and were looking forward to the new m3.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 12:00 AM   #22
Bon F80
Instagram: matte_f80_competition
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 ZCP 6-Speed

congratz!
Street: Michelin PS4S F: 265/30-20 R: 285/30-20
Appreciate 1